Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is The UNC is the ONLY place in this country that looks at motility and functional disorders with the "mind-gut" philosophy?I receive their newsletters and am extremely impressed as to how they go about diagnosing and treatng patients with these disorders.I keep going to GIs who basically prescribe a drug(ie:pPIS or Zelnorm) who then send me to a psychiatrist who knows absolutely NOTHING about GI disorders & whom usually end up prescribing me Valium to "calm me down".Yeah.To the point of being a zombie.
Discomfort is still there.I'm just not.<SIGH>

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
The UNC is not the only center Dee, they are a state of the art reserch center though and connected to other centers and many fields.UCLA, The Cleveland Clinic, Vanderbuilts, Johns Hopskins, Mayo and many others share the same research.The brain and gut work together that is a done deal in research, the brain gut axis dysfunctions are what research is all about, learning and studying the pathways and mechanisms between the enteric nervous system and the central nervous system and areas where they maybe malfunctuioning and why, but its of course super complex.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
The UNC is not the only center Dee, they are a state of the art reserch center though and connected to other centers and many fields.UCLA, The Cleveland Clinic, Vanderbuilts, Johns Hopskins, Mayo and many others share the same research.The brain and gut work together that is a done deal in research, the brain gut axis dysfunctions are what research is all about, learning and studying the pathways and mechanisms between the enteric nervous system and the central nervous system and areas where they maybe malfunctuioning and why, but its of course super complex.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The UNC is not the only center Dee, they are a state of the art reserch center though and connected to other centers and many fields.UCLA, The Cleveland Clinic, Vanderbuilts, Johns Hopskins, Mayo and many others share the same research.But for many of us who don't live near these facilities it is really hard to find a doctor who "gets it".I like the fact that you can go to The UNC and it's basically "all there",if you know what I mean?
Doctors AND psychologists who study the disorders and tackle them at different levels.The brain & the gut.They use antidepressants(I've yet to read anything about Valium.LOL)biofeedback,hypnosis,cognitive behavior,diet,etc.And it's ALL THERE.No going from GI (who isn't really in the know about IBS or any other functional or motility disorder)to shrink whom knows NADA about the problem.That is sadly where it seems a lot of us end up.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The UNC is not the only center Dee, they are a state of the art reserch center though and connected to other centers and many fields.UCLA, The Cleveland Clinic, Vanderbuilts, Johns Hopskins, Mayo and many others share the same research.But for many of us who don't live near these facilities it is really hard to find a doctor who "gets it".I like the fact that you can go to The UNC and it's basically "all there",if you know what I mean?
Doctors AND psychologists who study the disorders and tackle them at different levels.The brain & the gut.They use antidepressants(I've yet to read anything about Valium.LOL)biofeedback,hypnosis,cognitive behavior,diet,etc.And it's ALL THERE.No going from GI (who isn't really in the know about IBS or any other functional or motility disorder)to shrink whom knows NADA about the problem.That is sadly where it seems a lot of us end up.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
I understand what your saying Dee, the researchers try to get answers and that takes time and then try to teach the gerneral doctors and that takes time and then it gets down to the patients hopefully in the end, but the answers and help are slow sometimes, but I think all in all its getting better.Of corse some of this certainly has to do with insurances, HMOs and the medical profession in general. Were getting much better testing and technology and a lot less time and practical help from doctors.Hence, also part of learning and finding your own help as well.It also certainly helps when people post here good doctors and good experiences and questions to ask them or things to look out for in testing, causes ect..

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
I understand what your saying Dee, the researchers try to get answers and that takes time and then try to teach the gerneral doctors and that takes time and then it gets down to the patients hopefully in the end, but the answers and help are slow sometimes, but I think all in all its getting better.Of corse some of this certainly has to do with insurances, HMOs and the medical profession in general. Were getting much better testing and technology and a lot less time and practical help from doctors.Hence, also part of learning and finding your own help as well.It also certainly helps when people post here good doctors and good experiences and questions to ask them or things to look out for in testing, causes ect..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.