Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Heather, I have several questions for you, but will keep this as short as possible! I have suffered from constipation predominant IBS for about 18 years. I have read some of your work and have tried to eat a lot of low-fat pasta and the other soluble-fiber carbs you suggest. I have also tried the BRAT diet, but neither helped my constipation at all and booth gave me awful heartburn. I have also tried just about everything to lose weight, but nothing has worked. Basically, what I am looking for are foods I can eat to relieve my constipation and help me lose weight. I excersice almost daily, but nothing has helped. My stomach is constantly distented.Thank you,Polly

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi there - it may have been the bananas in the BRAT diet that gave you heartburn. They do that to some people.Soluble fiber is critical for the foundation of the IBS diet, but you also need to incorporate as much insoluble fiber as possible - very, very carefully. This is especially important for constipation. Also, you need LOTS of water for soluble fiber to work, and to relieve constipation.Try blending fresh fruit with soy or rice milk into smoothies. Cook big batches of veggie soup and run the soup through a blender, and serve with rice or pasta. Blend peans into a puree for a dip with white breads or pitas. This will get you lots of insoluble fiber but in a safe manner.For the bloating, try strong hot fennel tea. It's very anti-gas. Anise will work also.You can certainly lose weight and keep your IBS diet stable at the same time. There's info about that here web page Best,Heather

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.