Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi K,I would like to list all the things I take each day, and ask if you can think of any interactions or potential problems that come to mind. Cats Claw - 4 per dayPotassium - 2 per day = 1300 mgProbiotics - 2 per dayPeppermint capsules - 3 per dayChloryphyll - 2 glasses, diluted, per daySimithecone - as neededMultivitamin - 1 per dayMint tea - 3 cupes per dayBeano - on occasionIbuprofen - on occasionPepto - as neededThank-you so much,Lisa

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Don't see anything that screams out at me...but I don't know much about Cat's Claw, so I'll go look that up and get back to you.The main concern with mint/peppermint tea is if you have GERD it can increase reflux, but you aren't taking anything for that sort of problem based on the list.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/11571.cfm?...rdID=390&tab=HC Lists the interactions. It can thin the blood so if you were taking a lot of ibuprophen or asprin the combo might not be so good....but since that is occasionalIt has been used for birth control so it and the peppermint might be things to stop if you decide to get pregnant (peppermint seems to be a low risk during pregnancy, but I have seen sites that recommend avoiding it)K.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
God love you K.Do you think what I'm doing might just might be a load of bunk? Yeah, the money I'm spending sucks, but I don't care if I am on the right track.No relief yet - are any of the above things that might be more effective as time goes on?Lisa

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
With the Cat's Claw since it says anti-inflamatory...it may help more when regularly taken if it is working in that way for you.Probiotics may work better over time, and you may get to where you can take them less frequently to maintain the same relief. They can take awhile to work for some people (but sometimes the right one in the right person can start working right away).Most of the other things IBS-wise seem to be more of a symptom relief sort of thing, but sometimes if you can get the symptoms down it can make things better over time (body/mind goes into making things better mode rather than making things worse mode...like what I saw with CBT for my IBS....as things got better some of the time even the bad times were much better, and it got progressively better even after the CBT ended)K.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am IBS-C and D. When I was going through a long spell of D, I took Cats Claw Complex. It was the only thing that worked to firm up the stools. I started with 6 tabs and got down to 1 over many months. I believe it actually was helping to heal my gut. The chinese doctor who recommended them for me said he usually only prescribes it for AIDs patients or those with colon cancer. I was never able to find a lot of information on it about drug interactions and I never had any problems with it.The two things that stood out to me on your list were probiotics and vitamins... I wondered about the dosage in each, since they will vary radically depending on the brand. If your vitamin is a one-a-day, then it is okay to take just one. Otherwise, you should up the dosage for effectiveness, according to the recommended dosage on the bottle. (Of course, you won't notice any difference in symptoms as vitamins are a long-term healer.)The probiotics should be at 30 billion organisms per day. Natren makes an excellent probiotic, but the cost is prohibitive. Jarro is a less expensive brand that I'm using now. I have to take 8 pills per day to reach the 30 billion mark. With probiotics, you have to reach critical mass before you will notice any difference. For me, the main difference I notice has to do with vag and anal itching, not stool form or pain. My nutritionist recommended that I stay on high dosage for 2-4 weeks after showing itchy symptoms or double the time of any antibiotic I have to take. For maintainence, halve the dosage to 15 billion.Incidently, my IBS-D ended suddenly after I took the antibiotic clarithromycin for a sinus infection. Ever since then, I have struggled with C and rare spells of D.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Also, about vitamins... I have found that the more money you are willing to spend on them, the better quality you will get. "Quality" meaning the form of the vitamin (for best assimilation by the body) and the way that it was processed. If you go only for the cheap stuff, your body probably will not be able to use much of it.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:I have found that the more money you are willing to spend on them, the better quality you will get. "
Really? How do you judge the quality? By how pretty the pills look? By that logic, M & Ms would would beat any vitamin hands down.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Unfortunately from most of the studies where they look at "do the supplements have what they say" price doesn't seem to be a good indicator of quality.Now the people that sell the expensive stuff usually do claim price makes a difference, but in some independant studies the cheap brands are better than others.For some things like Calcium the cheapest thing (Generic for Tums that is chewable) may be one of the most available in the GI tract because you don't have to worry at all about the pill dissolving because you chew it up, because some Calcium even it is is technically more bioavailable is in a pill that doesn't dissolve so well in most people so you don't get it into you.Most claims by most companies that sell stuff are not independantly validated so it is hard to know which claims are meaningful and which ones aren't.K.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.