Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joined recently because long term coping strategies for IBS D were no longer working. Took Celexa (SSRI) for about three weeks after Xmas and felt even worse! Reading recommendations here I bought Mike's tapes and am on day 36. Have felt loads calmer but had some odd symptoms get much worse (shaking, crying...). Noticed a swollen neck, had blood tests yesterday, and advised I am hyperthyoid.My questions are: could hyperthyroid have been present, but not shown up in a number of blood tests over a 25 year period; or have you known of latent problems coming to the surface whilst using Mike's tapes? Or do you think the antidepressants may have contributed?I know you have probably answered these questions millions of times before, but I am off to see the Consultant tonight and am a bit short of research time. I would be very appreciative of your opinions.Thank you Di

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
My first guess is coincidence.If all blood tests are always 100% normal (assuming they actually tested for thyroid hormones) it is hard to think you've had hidden but full blown hyperthyroidism. It may be you were prone to it, but it only recently started acting up.I can't find much on SSRI's but what I find seems to be more of the lower thyroid? not raise it? Mostly while you are on it, not for the rest of your life. Seemed that some concern was about the thyroid going down making the depression harder to treat?I don't think Mike's tapes would cause the thyroid to suddenly misfunction.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for getting back to me. I hope I didn't give the impression I was being negative about the tapes, I certainly didn't mean to be - I actually think Mike's a bit of a magician because the tapes have made such a big and positive impact so quickly (and he's such a nice guy). I was more thinking the tapes may bring to the surface other issues that need resolving.I think you are right though, it's probably just coincidence. Di

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Hi Diane,I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in 1999 and my main symptom prior to diagnosis was diarrhea. SSRI's made my diarrhea worse - so bad that it would interrupt my sleep!Thyroid blood tests have to be specifically run in order to find hyperthyroidism. Thyroid blood tests are NOT part of basic blood panels or normal physicals.Tapes, antidepressants, etc. could not have contributed to the development of hyperthyroidism. Excess **IODINE** intake via food, supplements or medical contrast dyes *could* have contributed to the development of hyperthyroidism. The most common CAUSE of hyperthyroidism is Graves disease which is an autoimmune disease. Unfortunately, it is quite common for a CORRECT thyroid diagnosis to take years...and many incorrect, erroneous diagnses prior.I moderate a support group for people with hyperthyroidism/Graves disease located at http://www.mediboard.com/graves Please join us there to learn more about what your next steps should be and how to cope with the myriad of symptoms of hyperthyroidism. There is a LOT to learn in order to get and stay well when you have hyperthyroidism. I strongly recommend the book "Thyroid for Dummies" by Dr. Alan Rubin. It is an excellent book for beginners and I've found it to be quite necessary to educate yourself regarding the thyroid as well as your diagnosed medical condition.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Hi Diane,So sorry you are having more issues - but, no the sessions are not connected to causing the thyroid issues. But for some folks, they can address other areas of concern in a person't life in addition to the IBS, helping you with general stress issues (finding out about the thyroid condition is another stress issue you are dealing with) so that can become a part of the picture. Your subconscious mind deals with the issues it sees as most pressing at the moment, and getting through this new diagnosis may be in the forefront of your thoughts. So in that regard, the sessions may possibly assist you in the concern that you are dealing with now. But as far as causing it, or bringing it to the surface as a physical condition - that is highly unlikely.Best wishes to you in getting yourself better - I hope you feel better very soon. And also, you have support on the toll free phone lines regarding the IBS hypnotherapy sessions, if you wish to speak to someone about this. Take care..

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Diane,One more thing....please do not do anything radical such as ablating your thyroid via radioactive iodine until you've researched all 3 treatment options for treating hyperthyroidism.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all so much for getting back to me. Turns out I have Graves and my T4 levels are 4 times higher than they should be. The consultant I saw last night was lovely.I have to say after 25 years with IBS it was amazing to go to a doctor who knew exactly what was wrong and how to fix it! (and reassured me I'm not a hypochondriac). Also, I don't actually feel as bad as they seem to think I should - which can only be the fortitude of an IBS sufferer together with how chilled I am becoming from Mike's tapes!Special thanks to K9 Mom - I wouldn't have had another thyroid test if I hadn't read your posts.The Doctor is recommending surgery, but I'll definitely research further.Once again, thank you for the advice and support. Di

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Glad to hear that you got a diagnosis. You are now an official "Gravie"
Several gals at Mediboard have had total thyroidectomies and have had positive experiences with it. There is a list of questions one needs to ask the surgeon prior to the surgery posted on the board. Susie and Lake Lover both had surgery, you could do a post to them on Mediboard and I'm sure they will do whatever they can to help you out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.