Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been taking Metamucil for the past several days and have noticed an improvement with the solidity, but not the frequency. I have tried the Caltrate that so many have given rave reviews but I think it tends to make my D worse and was wondering if perhaps it is the magnesium stearate.(or maybe I am just an oddball). I was wondering if taking Tums would serve the same purpose as a supplement and that ingredient isn't listed. I am also lactose intolerant. Another thing I was wondering if perhaps B-6, B-12 vitamins might be beneficial. I would appreciate if you could give me your take on this. ThanksGranny

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I think frequency may be harder to control than consistancy.The colon tends to move things along first thing in the morning and after each meal and having 3 BM's a day is the top end of the normal range.The problem may be how full the rectum will be before it triggers the "I gotta go" thing. If it doesn't tolerate being full it can be hard to convince it to hold things. It is fairly typical for IBSers even when they get the consistancy right to still have smaller and more frequent BM's than normal.I did find that when the Cog. Behav. Therapy helped me, overall the # of BM's a day did tend to go down, but once a day is a rare things for me still.Caltrate does come without the magnesium and Tums is without the magnesium. It may help consistancy, but I dunno if it would effect the frequency thing.I don't know of a particular reason the B vitamins would help, but they also won't hurt, particuarly if your diet is low in these things.K.------------------ kmottus###aol.com�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I think frequency may be harder to control than consistancy.The colon tends to move things along first thing in the morning and after each meal and having 3 BM's a day is the top end of the normal range.The problem may be how full the rectum will be before it triggers the "I gotta go" thing. If it doesn't tolerate being full it can be hard to convince it to hold things. It is fairly typical for IBSers even when they get the consistancy right to still have smaller and more frequent BM's than normal.I did find that when the Cog. Behav. Therapy helped me, overall the # of BM's a day did tend to go down, but once a day is a rare things for me still.Caltrate does come without the magnesium and Tums is without the magnesium. It may help consistancy, but I dunno if it would effect the frequency thing.I don't know of a particular reason the B vitamins would help, but they also won't hurt, particuarly if your diet is low in these things.K.------------------ kmottus###aol.com�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts