Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sound very strange but you guys are the only ones who can answer the question:Are you aware or unaware of the fact that you are leaking gas? My dad for example had surgery (colon cancer). He is not aware of the fact he is passing gas. I can smell it but he doesn't know. When I get nervous, it can feel hot air but don't smell anything. Can I smell myself or not? On top of that comes the wetness. I just can't walk up to strangers and ask them. I am really frustrated with the gas problem, especially in public. It's so embarrassing.
Thank you all for your support and help.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Welcome to the board. There are times that I am not aware that I am passing gas. When I do feel that leaky sensation of a small amounts of gas I cannot smell it. Altho others often let me know that they do.It is scary never knowing if you stink or how bad.I Don't have the wetness part. Hoping if enuf of us come here someone will take note and do some research on this problem.joycein

·
Registered
67 Posts
It seems like I can usually tell when I have gas.The strange thing is that I have been sitting in a car or next to someone, and they will cough like something is bothering them, and then a few seconds later I feel like I need to pass gas.Other times It seems like I notice people reacting and I don't feel anything. I am kind of paranoid now, though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Achtungbaby, Most of the time I'm aware that I'm passing gas, but sometimes I get a warm feeling, like a breeze, then I'm not really sure that it's gas. I have wetness too. I've noticed that stress makes it worse, but I it's so difficult to relax. adp, sometimes I wonder if I'm paranoid too.take care, Bluedonna

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't ussualy notice when I pass gas. Everbody else does. Coughing is quite comon around me. I have a brother that I think the only reson he smokes is to cover up my gas problem. His wife lights candles when I,m around, dont't spend much time at their place. The wettness is a big problem. I work nights and it seems to be worse then. I just started to wear disposable underwear. It doesn't help with the gas problem but at leaste I am not getting the chair wet evertime I sit down. I think stress has a lot to do with it, that a Catch 22 type of deal. I always thought if they ever found out what causes the wettness they would know what's causing the gas problem. Guess not.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am getting to the end of my rope, as far as getting stressed out over this is concerned.I can't get anything done in this world if I am always being distracted by worry.I am trying to accept and just not care, and observe other people to learn.I can almost see myself getting to the point where I just ask strangers.Sounds kind of crazy. I wonder what it would be like if some stranger asked me that.I feel like I am turning into a lunatic.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Just recently, within the past year, I've noticed that I have a sensation of gas coming out. I can't control it and it doesn't seem to smell, from my end that is. I still have other "leaky gas" that others can smell but I can't. I can't figure out if it;s getting worse or better. What do ya'll think.....the fact that I can detect some of it now.....is that a sign of it getting worse or me becoming more sensitive?

·
Registered
585 Posts
This gas we ibsers have is a strange one, somthing like a very slow release of gas and I mean slow like going on for hours continously. Does it smell or not? never sure. One time a co worker was standing beside my desk and talking to me for about 20 minutes while I was feeling the discomfort of having this strange sensation of gas or something stupid going on at the rear end. We were the only 2 left in the office at the end of the day. I confided in her and asked if she could smell any gas, she said no and has never smelled gas around me. I also explained about ibs and its symptoms. Not sure if she was being kind but she did seem somewhat surprized. This was also when I could not smell it myself, sometimes I do smell it. Also other times other people have said indirect things about the gas so I know that it does smell sometimes, just cannot figure this out.

·
Registered
422 Posts
It is a mystery to all of us that have it. I can pass gas that I can smell and then I can pass "leaky gas" that I cant' smell. I don't get it. It does make me very depressed, though. I hate this!!!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Nelly,Trying to know when when and if you smell bad is the hard part. Just when you think you are OK someone lets you know you aren't. It keeps one humble.
Joycein

·
Registered
38 Posts
heya guys... i experience all the same "leaky gas" episodes, and can agree that wetness is the worst. it makes you feel so uncomfortable all the time and that is what's so hard to deal with. i'm a 20yr old male college student and have been dealing with this issue since i was a senior in high school. one day it just hit, and since that day it hasnt taken a break... actually gotten worse. used to be social and all that, but lets face it, people are judgemental about this topic no matter what. only a few of my close friends know about this and it was harder than ever to tell them about it. meeting new people is difficult when you dont feel confident about the way you present yourself, and who wouldnt with a disorder like this. life is hard enough, and this whole ibs thing seems like the worst social burden ever, just trying to stay positive, but after all the years and no good news it gets harder every day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The worst thing about leaky gas for me is NOT KNOWING whether I smell or not. Because of this, I am in constant paranoia and sometimes it is all I can concentrate on.At work and at school, I always do these weird sniff checks - which is basically me breathing out of my mouth slowly and breathing in through my nose quickly. Now, I don't know if this is related...but now my mouth and nasal cavity are always so dry. It hurts to breathe through my nose sometimes because there is like zero moisture. I take nasal spray with me, but it only stings. I'm only 20 and I'm falling apart!

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm convinced that this disorder takes a few years off of you life because it's constant stress on your mind. The best times I have are with my cats at home or with my brother. They all completely accept me and never notice anything. Anything else is a constant stresser of if I smell or don't smell. Frankly, I'd just rather be alone and read the paper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts