Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Mike,I have a food question... I noticed your response to someone on the board where you recommended the food allergy and sensitivity book. I checked out the reviews of the book, but mostly they talked only about the food allergies. I don't believe I have true food allergies, although my gut may disagree, but I have major food intolerances. How exactly does the book deal with food sensitivities? I mean, I don't see how I could do anything more as far as food is concerned. Could you tell me more about the book and how it has helped you? Thanks so much....Megan

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Hi meganSorry I did not see your post...I am only here about once a week now due to time constraints.Professor Brostoff is basically the de facto world leader on the subjects of differentiating food allergy from the various forms of food intolerance (enzymatic, immunologic, pseudoallergic, cytotoxic and all manner of alternate pathways) and works closely with the other leaders in that field (most of whom are in Sweden, Italy, Denmark, the U.K. etc). Now some folks who don't quite get how things work will comment to you disparagingly suggesting that this work is done over there instead of here as it is marginal, or of questionable efficacy, etc. [Not.] This work is not done much in the USA because investigation requires funding and funding mostly comes from pharmaceutical firms in various forms and this is prophylaxis (dietary manipulation). Who wants to fund work which reduces the use of pharmaceuticals if they are a public company dependent upon their earnings growth which is sales driven etc etc., (he queries rhetorically). Fact of life in USA. If and when there is a company which can of course capitalize on such work it is funded by that company(as when the food ALLERGY technologies were developed RAST, ELISA). The companies which developed the devices to do that testing fund the investigations to demonstrate efficacy. PLUS, the only other such major source would be endowments and such if this (food intolerance) were a "mortal issue" like cancer, or sexy like genetics (which of course provides its own product end-game).Absent that any work that is done here for the most part must be self funded..scrounging up bucks from private investors....and of course there must be a profit at the end for thsoe investors too. Ergo do not be misled thinking that the investigators in these countries who have studied this for so many years and published so much in European medicla journals (and our US journals as well) somehow have less credibility. Actuall they have more, as they have done much of the work without third-party support which has a vetsed interest in the outcomes. This is also why they are generally not glamour-docs but on the staffs of medical schools, and government consultants in nutrition and food safety in their countries. Silly stuff like that.Anyway, background aside, Professor Brostoff has published many books on immunology for the medical profession and several books for the lay person on how to ditinguish food allergy from food intolerances of different types, and the pros, cons, limitations of how to manage them in daily life.The book I recommend is the most recent compilation on the subject from an authority on the subject...and reflects what was known through the date the most recent publications manuscript was accepted for the latest edition...the 2000 edition.So it is current through about 1999. There have been some further discoveries since then about how the "gut" neuroimmune system works and responds to food and additives (both allergic and non-allergic reactivities) and newest technical advances in the field of in vitro isolation and differntiation of food allergy vs food intolerance, but that material can be supplemented with a bit of added self study.This book will thoroughly familiarize you with the what, how, why of all manner of symptomology related to diet, and how food alergy and intolerances exist in various diseases as a component, or as the underlying etioligic basis, or as a comorbidity.This book is especially valuable for such persons who have been given a "diagnosis" of irritable Bowel Syndrome, as it is not a causal diagnosis but a recognition of a symptom-set. And it is often assigned in primary care without sufficient investigation into the causal bais for the symptoms due often to time-cost-income constraints associated with managed care as well as the limitations of the average practitioners understanding of the subject.Even many GI docs are not well versed in the subject matter. It is just a fact, not an indictment.So much bad information is passed around by people who have not done their homework it is always just easiest to point people with symptom sets that have been associated with food sensitivities (among them being IBS victims) to an authoritative source. Understanding the subject correctly takes quite a bit of study, Brostoff makes it easier. Also keep in mind that true food allergy is also more frequently comorbid with IBS patients than in the general population, where the incidence is low (in the range of 2-5%). The incidence of the variosu forms of non-allergic food and chemical reactivity is much higher in the population than allergy...in the range of 30-40% in the USA (mainly due tous enjoying the privilege of partkaing in the most-fouled food supply in the world from a chemotoxin viewpoint). So for these reasons, and having worked with a number of these doctors that do this for aliving (including collaborating with Brostoff), it is very clear that this is one of the most valuable books for anyone with chronic digestive dysfunction for which their doctor has been unable to assign specific pathology and resolve it.Now if there was some cure for poor keyboarding (other than slowing down) we would both be in better shape.Eat Well. Think Well. Be Well.MNL___________ www.leapallergy.com [This message has been edited by Mike NoLomotil (edited 07-18-2001).]

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Hi meganSorry I did not see your post...I am only here about once a week now due to time constraints.Professor Brostoff is basically the de facto world leader on the subjects of differentiating food allergy from the various forms of food intolerance (enzymatic, immunologic, pseudoallergic, cytotoxic and all manner of alternate pathways) and works closely with the other leaders in that field (most of whom are in Sweden, Italy, Denmark, the U.K. etc). Now some folks who don't quite get how things work will comment to you disparagingly suggesting that this work is done over there instead of here as it is marginal, or of questionable efficacy, etc. [Not.] This work is not done much in the USA because investigation requires funding and funding mostly comes from pharmaceutical firms in various forms and this is prophylaxis (dietary manipulation). Who wants to fund work which reduces the use of pharmaceuticals if they are a public company dependent upon their earnings growth which is sales driven etc etc., (he queries rhetorically). Fact of life in USA. If and when there is a company which can of course capitalize on such work it is funded by that company(as when the food ALLERGY technologies were developed RAST, ELISA). The companies which developed the devices to do that testing fund the investigations to demonstrate efficacy. PLUS, the only other such major source would be endowments and such if this (food intolerance) were a "mortal issue" like cancer, or sexy like genetics (which of course provides its own product end-game).Absent that any work that is done here for the most part must be self funded..scrounging up bucks from private investors....and of course there must be a profit at the end for thsoe investors too. Ergo do not be misled thinking that the investigators in these countries who have studied this for so many years and published so much in European medicla journals (and our US journals as well) somehow have less credibility. Actuall they have more, as they have done much of the work without third-party support which has a vetsed interest in the outcomes. This is also why they are generally not glamour-docs but on the staffs of medical schools, and government consultants in nutrition and food safety in their countries. Silly stuff like that.Anyway, background aside, Professor Brostoff has published many books on immunology for the medical profession and several books for the lay person on how to ditinguish food allergy from food intolerances of different types, and the pros, cons, limitations of how to manage them in daily life.The book I recommend is the most recent compilation on the subject from an authority on the subject...and reflects what was known through the date the most recent publications manuscript was accepted for the latest edition...the 2000 edition.So it is current through about 1999. There have been some further discoveries since then about how the "gut" neuroimmune system works and responds to food and additives (both allergic and non-allergic reactivities) and newest technical advances in the field of in vitro isolation and differntiation of food allergy vs food intolerance, but that material can be supplemented with a bit of added self study.This book will thoroughly familiarize you with the what, how, why of all manner of symptomology related to diet, and how food alergy and intolerances exist in various diseases as a component, or as the underlying etioligic basis, or as a comorbidity.This book is especially valuable for such persons who have been given a "diagnosis" of irritable Bowel Syndrome, as it is not a causal diagnosis but a recognition of a symptom-set. And it is often assigned in primary care without sufficient investigation into the causal bais for the symptoms due often to time-cost-income constraints associated with managed care as well as the limitations of the average practitioners understanding of the subject.Even many GI docs are not well versed in the subject matter. It is just a fact, not an indictment.So much bad information is passed around by people who have not done their homework it is always just easiest to point people with symptom sets that have been associated with food sensitivities (among them being IBS victims) to an authoritative source. Understanding the subject correctly takes quite a bit of study, Brostoff makes it easier. Also keep in mind that true food allergy is also more frequently comorbid with IBS patients than in the general population, where the incidence is low (in the range of 2-5%). The incidence of the variosu forms of non-allergic food and chemical reactivity is much higher in the population than allergy...in the range of 30-40% in the USA (mainly due tous enjoying the privilege of partkaing in the most-fouled food supply in the world from a chemotoxin viewpoint). So for these reasons, and having worked with a number of these doctors that do this for aliving (including collaborating with Brostoff), it is very clear that this is one of the most valuable books for anyone with chronic digestive dysfunction for which their doctor has been unable to assign specific pathology and resolve it.Now if there was some cure for poor keyboarding (other than slowing down) we would both be in better shape.Eat Well. Think Well. Be Well.MNL___________ www.leapallergy.com [This message has been edited by Mike NoLomotil (edited 07-18-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.