Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just threw out my back pretty bad lifting weights. I am curious if asacol would work as an antiinflammatory or is it just effective in the intestines. I would hate to have to add another drug like vioxx to my mix of pills.Thanks,Pete

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Went looking on www.drugchecker.com. Asacol isn't that well absorbed into the body which may be why it is good for intestinal inflamation, it tends to stay in the intestines. There were no listed interactions between Vioxx and Asacol, but you should probably run it by the doc or the pharmacist before taking both.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Went looking on www.drugchecker.com. Asacol isn't that well absorbed into the body which may be why it is good for intestinal inflamation, it tends to stay in the intestines. There were no listed interactions between Vioxx and Asacol, but you should probably run it by the doc or the pharmacist before taking both.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
766 Posts
I hope you're taking an OTC anti-inflmamatory like ibuprofen or naproxen sodium (Alleve) right now. Vioxx is a prescription drug, so you'll have to check with your dr. before taking it anyhow, to get a prescription, unless you have some around already. If that is the case, I would check with your dr. to make sure there wouldn't be a drug interaction if you are taking anything you weren't taking when it was prescribed.I've taken prescription-strength ibuprofen and naproxen. I prefer the naproxen. I tried taking Vioxx once and it was a little too strong for me...made it a little hard to work! But I'm a bit of a lightweight when it comes to things like that...somewhat literally! I remember hearing that some drugs are formulated with dosages for the average male, not female...and I probably weigh less than the average female.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I hope you're taking an OTC anti-inflmamatory like ibuprofen or naproxen sodium (Alleve) right now. Vioxx is a prescription drug, so you'll have to check with your dr. before taking it anyhow, to get a prescription, unless you have some around already. If that is the case, I would check with your dr. to make sure there wouldn't be a drug interaction if you are taking anything you weren't taking when it was prescribed.I've taken prescription-strength ibuprofen and naproxen. I prefer the naproxen. I tried taking Vioxx once and it was a little too strong for me...made it a little hard to work! But I'm a bit of a lightweight when it comes to things like that...somewhat literally! I remember hearing that some drugs are formulated with dosages for the average male, not female...and I probably weigh less than the average female.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.