Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. While at my OBGYN getting my annual pap test done, the doctor took a culture because of some discharge I have had off and on for two years. It doesn't hurt, has a slight odor, but is a more a nuisance than anything else! It is not a yeast infection, but the nurse called today and said there were several bacteria in my culture. They are calling in some antibiotics to the local pharmacy that I must take for four days. I have not taken this before....I am sorry but the name escapes me right now....in the past I have been given Flagyl but not this time.Do any of you ladies have any similar troubles with this sort of thing. The nurse said I am a "carrier" of this bacteria. That sounds less than apealing to me.I was eating yougurt daily with acidiphilous to put some good bacteria in my system and help the flora, but I think I will go back to taking that in pill form and perhaps more of it!I drink plenty of water...eat well...am IBS C type to I must to both of those. Cant figure out why my body has this and won't let it go! I know the antibiotics are only going to bandaid the problem as they have in the past.What can be next??Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I've thought of going to the gynecologist, too, and having a culture done. It's kind of a dilemma as to what you should do. I hope you are better after a few days of taking the antibiotic. I've been battling with "strange" bacterial and other issues (though mostly of a slightly different nature), myself. Feel free to e-mail me if you'd like to commiserate sometime. Meanwhile, hopefully people will be able to give you some advice here. I think it's good you are taking acidophilus, etc.------------------Cultivate gratitude. Believe in possibilities.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
My pap smear showed I had something called Vaginosis, which I assume is some sort of bacteria. My doctor put me on 10 days of Flagyl. I was told I didn't have to come back for a follow up because the Flagyl would kill it...hope it did. Guess I'll find out in May when I go again.------------------"Today is the first day of the rest of your life"Rose

·
Registered
87 Posts
My internal med dr. said to eat the yougurt & place the last spoonful in the vagina, he said it's weird but is the best way to keep yeast infections at bay. To be honest I have not tried this, take acidip. pill instead I'm curious as to how you "spoon" that last spoonful in there. ?stand on your head??

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I would request the exact name of the bacteria and double-check with the pharmacist to see if that is the correct med for the bacteria. I rather think vaginosis might be the condition and not the particular bacteria. I would also make sure the yogurt was the plain kind- no sugar or fruit- not even vanilla, or lemon. I think I've heard of people opening the capsules up and somehow putting it. You might get one of those soft rubberized baby spoons or inject a solution with a syringe (no needle) and get in the stirrup position. There's a good book in the library (where I found it) or book store called "A Woman's Guide to Yeast Infections" by Naomi Baumslag M.D., and Dia L. Michels to get more information. I think a boric acid solution was mentioned in there, but don't remember for sure.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
I'm sorry, I'm chuckling too! Better make sure it's room temperature!
JeanG------------------I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! ANDMay the "farce" be with you. JeanG[This message has been edited by JeanG (edited 02-08-2000).]

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I went through a spate of bacterial vaginosis last summer that kept coming back and coming back, even after Flagyl, Amoxycillen and Metrogel. I was at my wit's end. But I think I've figured out the cause and the cure. It has to do with IBS D--unless you are SCRUPULOUSLY careful about wiping, you can get cross-infected with bowel bacteria. Most TP (even the "ultra-soft" kind) doesn't do the job effectively. (This is gross, but get a mirror and check afterwards a couple of times; you may be shocked.) Now I use Tucks pads or Kleenex Cottonelle Flushable Wipes after every BM. Carry them in my purse too, since the TP in public restrooms is particularly non-absorbent. So far (knock wood) I've been BV-free for 6 months. (This also helps prevent traveling yeast.)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Mitchd, would the name of the bacteria be gardenella, by any chance? I can't find my dog-eared paperback that explains about everything women need to know about things like that. As Moldie, says, vaginosis is a classification, and that's one of the general bacterias, I believe. When I had it, they gave me clindamycin, which also comes in a gel or cream and has less gastic side effects. Either way, I'd take a good probiotic, if I were you. By the way, we (all the "girls" I knew), used to douche with yogurt all the time, every time we got a yeast infection. This was before OTC medications. Nurses used to tell you do it. And as far as those towelettes that Zig mentions, sounds good. A nurse told me about baby wipes, too.P.S. Moldie, I think I have a dog-eared copy of the yeast book you mentioned, too! Can't find that, either![This message has been edited by Persistance (edited 02-09-2000).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi girls. Thanks for the replies...although the whole yogurt/turkey baster thing got just a little bit out of hand! (grin)Persistance: I have had gardnerella in the past. This time, I hate to say, but I didn't ask for specifics as the nurses exact words when she called were "you've got a whole bunch of different bacteria going on".I have done the oral flagyl route as well as metrogel - both in the past two years. I will try the baby wipes - although I am not a type D, I don't think it can hurt. By the way, for all of you interested in trying out the yogurt douche....I have heard it can help by a past physician. (Plain yogurt with active cultures inserted with a regular douche applicator.)The name of the antibiotic is....Zithromax. I only have to take it for five days or so thank goodness. I will use the acidiphilous to counteract it.Anything else you all want to add, I'd be thankful. Smiles.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Mitchd--- Five days sounds good! If you possibly can and want to spring the bucks, try and get hold of some Culturelle, which LDanna and I and a few others on the board found helped us during an antibiotic course, even though you're C and we're D. It's either at www.Culturelle.com or at Longs or CVS drugs, or special-order it from an indie drugs and they'll have it within a day. It is isolated to survive stomach acids and actually forms a little barrier there to prevent the good flora from being banished.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree totally with Zigmissus -I am an advocate of very careful "wiping" technique. Actually wiping is hazardous. It is better to do a lot of blotting - in other words, do not move the tp from one area to another. Just take a separate clean piece for each area that you are cleaning, i.e., when you are at the middle of anus just push on the tp a bit - and without moving it (don't want to smear the ###### around to any further from the major ###### spot {anus})press the around the outer perimeter of the tp to get the peripheral area. Of course you do this several times. Also I follow it with a very careful wet wash. I do this with paper towel because tp falls apart when it gets wet and then it leaves "cling-ons" which are potentially dangerous because they will get some fecal bacteria on them and then they could, eventually during the day, shift forward towards your labia and or urethra via your underwear moving around. It is important to not let the paper towel get too wet because the water from making contact with the anus (and it's bacteria) could easily run forward - it's only an inch !! If you are not bladder infection prone or vaginosis prone none of this matters. But if you are - it reaallllly does. I am an advocate of squat toilets - so much more hygenic !! Much less of a butt mess to deal with - no ###### smearing of ###### on skin adjacent to anus - i.e., beginning of butt cheaks. These types of toilets have less water in the front also so the contaminated water does not splash back at you when you pee or poop. A much more efficient and elegant and reasonable defecation experience. Enough toilet technique for now !PS - For those of you who use prepackaged towelette sort of wipes - I am sure it is more than just water - don't the perfumes or wetting agents or whatever else irritate your urethral opening ?Svargo[This message has been edited by svargo_99 (edited 02-09-2000).]

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mitchd,I think you might have a bacteria called Group B strep. A physician will treat for this bug in women of child bearing age. drug of choice is a Penicillin.Rose, Bacterial vaginosis is a condition caused by an organism called Gardnerella vaginalis.Linda(former Microbiologist with 20+ years experie)nce

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mitchd, My doctor called my infections nonspecific bacterial vaginitis. I tried a gel called metrogel, a cream called nystatin triamcinolone (anti fungal, I think)a cream called cleocin and oral flagyl. the flagyl cleared it up on the fourth try.We tried everything to get to the source, including testing me for diabetes, thyroid issues and every STD out there. As a last resort, i quit using body wash, soap and laundry soap with dyes/perfumes. I haven't had another infection since.I even made the guy I had been intimate with go get tested, even though we used condoms. He came up negative, and was rather annoyed w/the discomfort of the test.My doc said to take refrigerated acidolpholus. It made the mucus from the IBS worse, so I quit.good luck, sorry this is so darn long!!------------------Color Rainbows in the Rain

·
Registered
456 Posts
Try taking oregamax/oil of oregano it is a natural antibacterial/antfungal. It in combination with caltrate plus and flax have put my IBS in remission for 6 months. My guess was I had some kind of bacteria it is controlling but it takes about a month to work but worth a try.------------------�� wherever you go there you are

·
Registered
820 Posts
Gardnerella I am very familiar with, also now called bacterial vaginosis. I looked it up on the internet the other day for my daughter who is just starting to fight with it. Flagyl for years and Metrogel does work. I find that if no sperm ever enters me, I'll be fine. I even once asked my GYN if I were allergic to sperm when I was married to my hubby because it never failed and we were both monogamous.Ladies have soooo much to endure! Oh yeah, I have done the yogurt douching by mixing plain yogurt with warm water, making it pourable and pouring it into the tiny bulb douche bag and douching. I've also used buttermilk in the bulb bag. I think it worked.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My answer to your problem , once the infection is gone, is never have sex without a condom. I have not had a problem since! If you have a willing partner - it is a blessing. Good luck![This message has been edited by osgev (edited 02-10-2000).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, what great responses! Again,it is nice to know I am not alone with persistant pain in the neck problem.Linda- yes, you are correct. I called the nurse and asked just exactley what I had and she said three things:1.Group beta strep2.EGNR - some sort of gram negative rod3. gardnerellaThe beta strep seems to be re-ocurring in me for reasons my doctor can't explain. hotmeow - good tip. Can I ask what you use for laundry det. and body wash now?The condom tip is a good one as well, but I must confess can be a real mood breaker.
Thanks again. I am going to research some immune system boosters online I think. Perhaps a weakend immune system is why I keep having this re-ocurring strep bacteria. Any thoughts on that? Let me know.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I think beta strep is a normal bacterial inhabitant in about a third of women, but it becomes a problem when it overgrows. Technically, I don't think this is even really an "infection." I've never had gardnerella--it's always strep. You're right, I've heard that conditions such as immune difficulties, altered pH, hormone imbalance and atrophy can make you susceptible. Also heard that taking Vitamin A--orally and as a suppository--can help with resistance, though I haven't perseonally tried the latter method.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.