Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a thought, instead of medicating to alleviate symptoms, why not attempt to prevent these symptoms?Before reading this, keep in mind I'm a High School student. Obviously, my knowledge about the body and its functions aren't may not be exactly perfect or even right.From what I understand, aside from IBS, many people develop panic disorders which trigger IBS-like symptoms. The body must be sending some sort of signal, whether it be a hormone or something, I don't really know. Why can't we stop that thought before it gets to the stomach?Through medication I have been able to get rid of most of IBS's drawbacks but I believe I've developed some sort of panic disorder because of it.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Cognitive Behavior Therapy has been known to be successful treating IBS symptoms and some anxiety issues in regards to IBS.Have you visited the CBT/Hypnotherapy forum here?Loads of info there for you.http://ibsgroup.org/groupee/forums/a/frm/f/72210261BQ

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.Rather than trying to alleviate symptoms, why not cure it?If someone can subconsciously make themself sick, surely there has to be some sort of problem -- possibly a chemical imbalance? I don't really know.The point is, I don't want to be on medication all my life. I don't feel like that's the right way to do this. If doctors can cure cancer, why can't they cure this? It seems a bit ridiculous to me.

·
Registered
584 Posts
To me, anxiety and panic develop over time, and that is natural to someone who has a chronic illness. If the last five times you went out you had an accident, then of course you are going to get anxiety the next time you are going to go out.That anxiety is often undertreated while physical symptoms are dealt with. The anxiety will only get worse over time, as the panic attacks only lead to more agony, which in turn, leads to more anxiety.CBT, pain management therapy, or just a normal old therapist is a good route to take. To deal with the anxiety you must confront the fears that you've developed over time. Since many people are traumatized over time from their problems, that must be dealt with, too.As far as a cure, I'm sure they'll find one someday. But you need to realize there's a lot more money thrown at cancer than IBS and that's probably not going to change anytime soon, and rightfully so.They've gotten closer to finding the cause of IBS, but there are still, I believe, four differing theories on exactly what that is. It's complicated by the fact that what is now known as IBS, may in fact be a couple of related syndromes.Last I read it still said that 80% of people with IBS can be treated successfully without medication. Changes in diet and lifestyle are the most common things to aid that group.Look around the board here, delve deeply if need be. There are a lot of things that are not meds that have helped people here. You'll have to be patient trying to find the right answer for you, and may experience a setback or two along the way.I'm obviously not sure of your specifics, but you don't have to necessarily condemn yourself to a life long medication at your age. Good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
quote:To me, anxiety and panic develop over time, and that is natural to someone who has a chronic illness. If the last five times you went out you had an accident, then of course you are going to get anxiety the next time you are going to go out.
Yes, I understand. But how is anxiety not some sort of chemical imbalance? If you can subconsciously make yourself sick, there has to be further problems. Therapy in general is a way of getting through, living with the problem -- I'm not satisfied with that route. Let's say people with IBS have a very sensitive stomach (I'd say that's a fair generalization) - "very sensitive stomach" is just a general English way of saying what the problem actually is. I'm not not a doctor, just a High School student, but I would imagine there's some issue with transmitters, just a guess. I'm speaking with my GI soon about this, we'll see what he says.My point is, you don't give a cancer patient morphine everyday and let them live their life. They at least attempt to FIX the issue, not just live with it.Let's not forget depression. As far as I know, people aren't born with depression. Some sort of chemical imbalance occurs, which is a fact. They treat depression by correcting this imbalance, at least in some cases.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, that's different. If the pill is actually correcting this chemical imbalance (yes, I keep using that term), then it's a cure; at least in my eye.But if the pill is just alleviating symptoms, it's by no means a cure. This includes elavil, nulev, bentyl -- the list goes on and on.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
CBT has been shown to over time change the chemcials in the brain so it isn't always just a patch on the symptoms.Some medications like Buspar are more for preventing panic attacks rather than stoping the attack after it happened which a lot of the sedative type drugs are for.Whether you can cure someone of a disorder depends on what is causing it. Some cancers are more like treating a chronic illness rather than something they can actualy cure. Depends on what cells went nuts. They can't cure diabetes or a lot of other things, but they can treat it in a way that minimizes the impact on the person with the problem.K.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Everything in your life is a balance of chemicals. From happiness to distress and everything in between, any emotion you experience affects chemical levels in your body.In some, they may have a problem with the body creating a certain hormone. It's just my personal belief, but I don't believe that for most people, especially ones with chronic illness, that is necessarily the case.I'd find it more likely that the chemical imbalance happens over time, as certain emotions experienced are either elevated or depressed. If you haven't had a happy moment in a while, to me, that's a pretty good explanation as to why your levels of seratonin and dopamine would be low.cbt and other forms of therapy can help someone to deal with things, alter behavior, and just sometimes look at the brighter side of things. If this helps one to experience emotion that they've been lacking, then the chemicals in the body that those emotions create will return.If you look at it this way, then yes, in some cases, therapy can be a cure.As far as fighting a condition, the doctors are not trying to not fight conditions in IBS. They just, for the most part, don't know what they are fighting, or at least we're still in the infancy of understanding exactly what that is. If they knew exactly what to give you to cure it, then I'm sure they'd do it.The key to that is research, or one lucky and really smart researcher. Research takes money and certain diseases receive a lot more of it than others. But even with all the stuff I've gone through over the years, if I had a million dollars and had a choice to give it to cancer, IBS, or say, Parkinson's research, the money wouldn't likely go to IBS.There are things in this world worse than IBS and the priority to find a cure has gone to them. Note, I'm not trying in any way to minimize IBS, but there are other conditions that are very lethal and utterly horrible. Someday they will find the exact cause and cure of IBS, but when that day is, who knows. In the meantime, we can only do what we can with what we have to deal with things.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
quote:CBT has been shown to over time change the chemcials in the brain....
K, I must tell ya.. this still blows my mind.It is truly amazing to me.... still.I do not look for a cure any more. I just focus on managing my symptoms so as to live as full a life as is possible. If managing my symptoms includes having to take some medication... fine with me. I do NOT like having to take a med.. but I do NOT like being held hostage in a bathroom much more.Just my 2cBQ

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome about a year ago. I felt so horrible all the time that I basically stopped leaving my house if I could help it. I developed severe anxiety about my health and because of that I was scared to go anywhere or do anything. I started having panic attacks as well. Now, I'm on my way to freedom. My doctor had prescribed me Zelnorm and it was working at first and then stopped. I decided I wasn't going to accept the IBS and just live with it. I was going to do all that I could possibly do to get back to my normal self. The IBS just seemed to come out of no where. No one could give me a good reason as to why I had it, so I decided I was going to figure out how to get rid of it.What I believed was that I had gotten IBS and because it was so painful and I felt so hopeless, I developed anxiety and a panic disorder. In reality, I had anxiety to begin with, and that is what triggered the IBS. This didn't even cross my mind until I read a book about anxiety, which changed my life completely.The book is called From Panic to Power by Lucinda Bassett. She isn't a doctor, she is a real person who has gone through what you are going through now and has overcome it. So if she can do it, why can't you. PLEASE, PICK UP THIS BOOK. It really has changed my life. I am able to go out and have fun and stop worrying about pointless things. My IBS is pretty much gone now. IBS can be triggered by stress and anxiety and if you get rid of that factor than the IBS can cure itself.I'm not saying that all people with IBS will be cured from this book, but to people who have anxiety and panic disorders aswell, this book can greatly help you. I would recommend this book to anyone- anxiety, panic disorders, IBS or not. It gives great insight into the mind and how it works and how worrying can actually make you physically sick.If anyone tries this out, please update me. I'd love to know if it works out for any of you. GOOD LUCK!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts