Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've had constipation for a long time and it's probably either genetics (from mom) or just my diet. I don't eat too much vegetable but eat a lot of chicken and rice. I am 26 years old, 5'10" and am 153 lbs. used to be 140s until I started working out a few months ago and have gained weight (muscle weight). Of course I always think the worst thing like anyone else and think its cancerous but there's no history of cancer in my family for any sides. As for my symptoms which of course matches IBS symptoms: Constipation, sometimes lose bowel movements (depends on what I eat - especially when I drink protein shakes or bar) I have pain, both on my left side and in my rectal area (when constipation is there and I can feel bowel movement isn't completed) I guess my real question is, when I have constipation, I have hard stool, but its normal shape, but if I take fiber, stool is soft but either thin (not pencil thin) or it's a little flat, more like an oval shaped and not completely ribbon flat. I've had this for over 4 years, always changes but my wife says it's normal and it happens to her too. About 2 years ago, when I had insurance, I've asked the doc and she said I have to take fiber and it should be fine and eat more healthy food, like vegetables. I don't eat junk food much, except chips and some times nachos. She didn't do any colonoscopy and assured me its not anything serious as colon cancer as almost everyone in her family have colon cancer. But another doc did endoscopy for me because I also have some GI problems that flare up sometimes (ie. burning stomach, stomach acid etc) Side note: - My constipation flares up mostly when I don't consume a lot of water. (Less than 3 bottes)- I have urination issue, especially when I have bad constipation- Frequent urination throughout day and even at night when I sleep. - I've had prostate exam before where doc said it was mildly swollen (I was 24 then) then again recently because of my urination but this doc said it was fine, not sure why I have frequent urination. I don't have insurance now so I can't always go to the doc and do tests. Wish I had pressured my doc to give me colonoscopy back when I had insurance a year and half ago. But please let me know if my constipation and stool shape seem normal for a person with IBS-C. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sound typical of any human, every human, all humans, not just the ones with IBS.When stool is softer it doesn't keep it's nice full shape and gets thinner.The idea that it might mean cancer (or what people make up to mean that it must only be cancer and you are dying) was made up in the 1800's and has gone in and out of fashion and has no data what so ever to back it up. Yep, lately it has been even in a lot of text books, but that is it seems logical rather than there is any data and people assume whoever made up it originally had data, but they've checked and NO DATA AT ALL went into adding thin stool to the cancer symptoms. It sounded good at the time, and enough people say it most people believe the MYTH.4 years with colon cancer bad enough to cause symptoms and you'd be a medical miracle. It only causes symptoms beyond some blood in the stool (like pain) when at the end stage and no one lives that long with zero surgery and chemo_One of the reasons they screen everyone over 50 (and it is only common as people age) is because it doesn't cause any symptoms.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your answer. I forgot to say, no blood except a month ago I was bleeding a lot everyday but it was from severe constipation causing rectal bleeding. It wasn't getting cured so everyday it'd bleed. So then I would take my time pooping and then it went away after a few days. Other than that, no real bleeding. I don't believe I have cancer or anything but that did cross my mind in the past. I have a lot of my problem starting wit me ever since I've been injured in my neck and have caused a lot of nerve issue in my body.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
A clean out won't do anything other than clean you out until you eat. (depending on if you take enough to be clean enough for a colonoscopy, and most people do not so you won't be squeaky clean inside anyway).Won't change symptoms long term, and if you are on the soft side of things you usually don't have constipated stool you need to get out.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You really shouldn't let it bother you.Unless you think soft enough to pass easily is somehow worse than constipated stool you can't get out. :(It doesn't mean anything bad, just the stool is soft enough to come out that way. It is not dangerous, it is not unhealthy, and staying constipated to avoid it because then your stool is too hard to deform is usually not a good idea.You may not be able to find the exact number of grams of fiber to make every stool completely and totally perfect every time in every way so I wouldn't worry too much if you take just a bit more than it takes to keep from backing up. The amount will vary from day to day anyway depending on how hydrated you are, what else you ate, etc. Making a perfect stool every single time really isn't all that possible for normal humans. Just usually when there aren't GI problems people don't pay that much attention and just flush it down.I would recommend that, if there is no blood on the paper, just flush without looking or studying the stool looking for danger that isn't there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha thanks! that's great advice really (not looking at it). Was a little concerned till I read all the comments about 'flat stool" from the internet and also your comment. Yes, I love not being constipated so I'll drink more fibers and food with natural fiber in them, also I'm always going to the gym working out now so that also should help. I drink a lot of water but that causes frequent urination, as I mentioned earlier that I had a prostate exams in the past. Not sure if I'm drinking too much water but I sure wake up a lot in the middle of the night to go pee....Thought it was constipation pushing my bladder or prostate to cause it..... Eventually I'll get insurance again and have proper exams for it, but of course, being 26 it's pretty rare for men my age to have that issue......(hopefully!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.