Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all my dear friends on the IBS board...With all the reading I have done, I haven't seen anything mentioned about "hic ups". Does anyone here get them often?? I know I do, and was just wondering if this has anything to do with IBS. It sounds like it would. Then again, aren't hic ups too much air in ones body?? has nothing to do with gas, or does it?? This is really bugging me for some time now, I just keep forgetting to post the question.Thanks for listening...Jadair

·
Registered
35 Posts
I hic cup and burp (not to be gross) all the time. I have asthma and allergies and every once in a while my doctor will ask about burping, apparently digestive issues are related to my other problems.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jess,I also have asthma. And about the "burp" thing, I do that too, you didn't sound gross to me. Hummm, a connection?? nah...but one never knows, do we?? The asthma has not been bothering me lately, could I have out grown it at age 41?? LOL.After all, I was diagnosed with asthma just two years ago. Maybe just one of those come and go things. I am running now, and have no breathing problems, another mystery. (and it's been so humid too)
I used my peak flow meter just to see, and it's always good.Jadair

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Since I find it impossible to burp (just can't for some reason) I always wait for a few hiccups to clear the bubbles in my chest. I used to get hiccups a lot as a kid and I remember always gulping a teaspoon of white vinegar to get rid of them.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I never would have put it all together but for the past couple of months I have the hiccups non-stop almost. I get them every time I eat or drink. I also get them if I have been sitting for more than 10 minutes and then when I get up I start hiccuping. It's been driving me nuts!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I get the hiccups quite often - it amuses my friends to no end. I even used them to scare my friend's dog the other day by hiccuping really loudly. I don't burp that often.I don't know if this is related to IBS though. I kind of doubt it for me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Okay so I don't feel so abnormal anymore. I have acid reflux as well as IBS and man...sometimes when that stuff is churning, I can hic-up, burp, and reflux all at the same time..which is usually followed by a cough. Oh it's horrible. My husband just looks at me half the time...occasionally he'll ask if I'm okay...BUT I have noticed I don't do it if I have taken my prevacid.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Not positive about this, probably flux or kmottus would know more for sure, but I think Hic-ups are when your heart skips a beat or something like that.IBS is tied into the autonomic system and hic-ups are not part of IBS really, but may have some possible stress or autonomic link possibly I would guess. http://www.med.ucla.edu/ndp/Newsletters/Summer02ANS.htm

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:I think Hic-ups are when your heart skips a beat or something like that.
These would be "palpitations". Hiccups are quick, short, forceful contractions of the diaphragm.
quote: aren't hic ups too much air in ones body?? has nothing to do with gas, or does it??
Hiccups are not related to gas in the body.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Flux, did you see this info before, thats why I mentioned the heart." Hiccup Go the Strings of My Heart Gesundheit! Gesundheit! Gesundheit! You may have heard that the practice of blessing somebody when they sneeze came from the idea that sneezing was linked to the heart. Those who thought that were close, but not quite right. It's not sneezing, it's hiccups that are linked to heart beat. The departments of pneumologie and neurophysiologie of Groupe Hospitalier Pitie-Salpetriere in Paris, compared hiccuping and heart beats. The researchers reported in the June 2000 Journal of Applied Physiology that hiccups occur while the heart is contracting, sending blood through the body -- not while it's refilling. Also, when you hiccup, your heart slows down a tiny bit. On an electrocardiogram, it shows up as a sinus arrhythmia. So, don't offer a blessing when somebody sneezes. Save your blessings for somebody with the hiccups." http://nutzworldhealth.subportal.com/healt...ups/106707.html Is this because of the diaphram issue?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Eric,Thanx for the info.Why not a "God Bless You" for both?We need all the help we can get. :)Shelly People will forget what you said, People will forget what you did, But People will never forget how you made them feel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know that when I was first diagnosed, my doctor gave me all kinds of info like "Don't drink through a straw" and "Don't chew gum" because both of these get air into your stomach, and then it has to get back out somehow! And obviously, don't talk while you are eating because that will make you swallow air too.If you have hiccups that won't go away, try putting your fingers GENTLY into your ears. This is accupressure and usually works for me; the people I have told about this think I am a genius because it usually works!!!

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:my doctor gave me all kinds of info like "Don't drink through a straw" and "Don't chew gum" because both of these get air into your stomach, and then it has to get back out somehow! And obviously, don't talk while you are eating because that will make you swallow air too.
None of these things have actually been shown to have any bearing on how much air gets into the stomach. I suspect that if you did all these things all day long, it make little difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.