Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Emmanuel. I've been to the doctor recently for the past two months. I have D and bloating. All tests became negative so I was sent to the GI. We talked to the GI and he prescribed us Bentyl. (He told us it was to help IBS)What my mom understands is that it "stops body" from doing something. Now she thinks its unsafe and only limits me 1 in the morning. I think 1 isn't enough, since I haven't really seen a change. Maybe less gas, but it wears off. Is it safe to take 2-3 times a day? Does it mess up my body? My mom is crazy about medicine. :/(Tablet form)Thanks.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If your mother refuses to let you take medications you might see if she will allow you to drink peppermint tea or take some peppermint in capsules or have a couple of peppermint candies.If she will only let you take one per day than either in the morning (if you have morning problems) or 20-30 minutes before the meal that bothers you the most would be the best time. Usual dose is 2-3 a day.Every medication has side effects and Bentyl's usually aren't a problem (dry mouth or you may need to take care when in hot conditions as it tends to reduce sweating so you might keep a wet cloth on your neck if it is really hot out). There are a few people it can raise blood pressure or heart rate, but as long as you are doing OK with those you don't have to worry about them.You might also see if she will let you take probiotics (friendly bacteria) supplements. They can sometimes help with bloating.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.