Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading that sometimes excessive gas can be caused by undigested food that has reached the colon, and then the colon bacteria causes gas because of this(If that makes any sense?)My food travels through me too fast, and there are times I can literally have a bowel movement and see the food that I have just eaten 4-6 hours earlier. I suppose my excessive gas buildup is possibly due my food passing to quickly and not getting digested enough before it reaches my large intestine? If so, what can I do to slow this down a bit and to help make sure my food is digesting slower?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The undigested food that makes gas is the stuff no human on the plant digests in their small intestine, NO ONE, not one single person.Every single human has undigested food getting to the colon (fiber, for one, which is often fermentable, resistant starch, for another, which is called resistent specifically because it is resistant to the enzymes human used).Are you maintaining your weight without having to eat twice as much food as everyone else?Are you anemic, or have other deficiencies that are uncommon for your diet?(pretty much everyone is low on D if they spend time indoors most of the year, or low on B12 if they are vegan)Slowing the transit down probably won't help but avoiding foods that cause huge amounts of gas for people with normal transit probably will.Remember the average healthy human makes about 14 farts worth of gas every day. It is normal to not digest food people cannot digest.Now some people do have additional issues where they don't digest lactose or don't absorb fructose well so tend to make more gas than others unless they adjust their diet.The standard gas reducing diet is here, it tells you what in the diet will be digested to gas by bacteria. It is not ALL food, and these foods will make gas in every person even one who has the slowest transit through the small intestine possible.http://www.endowsec.com/pated/edtgs12.htmPeople with IBS often have more problems with the same volume of gas as healthy people. They may not move it effectively, or may have more symptoms when the colon fills with gas.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Kathleen.Yes, I maintain my weight fine with normal eating. I dont have to eat more than any normal person to maintain it. And Im not anemic,etc. Everything was fine on my CBC in April.I just find that I do not digest vegetables very well. Lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, corn, even things like green beans,etc, alot of times end up visibile in my stool. Foods like collard greens make my stools oily,etc. Only with vegetables. My wife said Im probably not chewing well enough. I take Beano and find that it greatly reduces my issues, but not 100%Also I find that I pass a fair amount of gas through the day, but right before bed and first thing in the morning its massive amounts. Seems like when my body starts to relax it completely unloads the gas. No complaints though, better to have it all out than trapped!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Tougher foods like veggies cannot be ground up in the GI tract and tend to come out the way they went down in all people.You leach stuff out of it, but nothing in there grinds up stuff like that. This is true of all people. It is just a lot easier to notice when your stools are loose.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My gas is absolutely the worse in the evening and smells so bad! I hate it, but at least my abdominal pain has reduced a little since the gas has increased. Is it good to use a gas reliever or would it, like you said, keep all that trapped inside?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Most gas relievers don't trap gas. Either they reduce the amount you make (like a probiotic, and you might want to try eating fewer gas producing foods...if you have diarrhea you can take pepto bismol for the odor as it absorbs the bad odors in the wet environment of the colon).Or they break up the bubbles, which I don't think would make it trap more.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On really gassy days, I notice my stools have gas that starts bubbling to the surface. What part in my body is the gas/stool combination being made? Does this happen in the colon, or prior to that, maybe even the stomach?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hmmm...I'm new, and I tried to post a question that appears to have gone into cyberspace. I'll try again and hope it doesn't post twice.I know about all the diets that include foods not to eat to avoid gas, but anything I eat causes gas. Shortly after eating I have gas. It is often difficult to be in public it's so bad. I haven't found anything very effective yet and would like some ideas.Also, I noticed that this topic includes incontinence. Is that a symptom of IBS, too? I have a fairly serious problem with that. I'd like to know more about it. Thanks.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Incontinence can happen to people with IBS, but is not a typical symptom.Sometimes it is colon activity after a meal that makes you fart right afterward. You could try peppermint or an antispasmodic.If it is mostly bloating after meals try pancreatin (may be in a digestive enzyme supplement although sometimes separate and some doctors will give you a script for the prescription version).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kathleen,Ive become pretty convinced that all of my abdominal pains are due to excessive gas. I get them in every part of my colon which has calmed my anxiety down ironically, knowing that the pain is spread out and not localized. But I have for some odd reason just now noticed that the excessive gas increase has also been accompanied by my stools being mostly yellow in color(ever blue moon its green) and always fairly loose. Formed, but loose. After checking around online I found that increased gas, yellow stools and loose stools together can be a symptom of malabsortion and or giardia. So Im thinking of getting a stool test on that. Until then, is their a recommended supplement that assists with malabsorption? Or if that ends up being the case, what do they do to treat that? I assume if it was a giardia infection it wouldve passed by now. 5 months of this seems excessive.In the end, I know the symptoms are also common with IBS-D, so I assume it can be that as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts