Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently had an IBS flare. My doctor has suggested that I use metamucil to add extra fibre to my diet. I followed the directions, started out slow, and am now taking two packaages per day. (fibre wafers)Question: I realize that it can cause bloating and gas, but where does the bloating usually occur. Prior to this, I have only had upper abdominal bloating, but now my lower abdomen is extremely bloated and painful to touch or lay on. Could this be caused from the metamucil or is it just part of the flare. If you can help, please let me know what symptoms you have experienced when taking metamucil and where the bloating occurs.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I had the same bloating problems with Metamucil in the same lower area. The gas was driving me crazy, so I stopped using it. Also, I didn't have any serious problems with C, so I ended up having D on the Metamucil. It just wasn't worth the gas and D for me. Hope it works better for you - good luck!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I had the same bloating problems with Metamucil in the same lower area. The gas was driving me crazy, so I stopped using it. Also, I didn't have any serious problems with C, so I ended up having D on the Metamucil. It just wasn't worth the gas and D for me. Hope it works better for you - good luck!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Metamucil does breakdown and ferment --caused by your intestinal bacteria resulting in gas. But, after your system gets use to it ----the gas will usually go away.Citrucel is a semisynthetic water soulble fiber that does not breakdown or undergo bacterial fermentation--as a result causes less Gas. You may want to try it. I hope this helps!!Hdog

·
Registered
171 Posts
Metamucil does breakdown and ferment --caused by your intestinal bacteria resulting in gas. But, after your system gets use to it ----the gas will usually go away.Citrucel is a semisynthetic water soulble fiber that does not breakdown or undergo bacterial fermentation--as a result causes less Gas. You may want to try it. I hope this helps!!Hdog

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.