Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. I've been reading some of your posts and really like the supportive atmosphere here. Thought I would throw out a question that's been in the back of my mind. I'm still going through the diagnostics and so far, nothing is showing up. My primary complaint is terrible, horrible nausea. I do have the occasional D and C, but the nausea is absolutely horrific. For the D, you take Imodium, for the C, you take fiber, right? But what does one take for the nausea? I've read that D alternating with C is typical of IBS, but what about nausea? Is nausea also a major indicator? Or should I be concerned about something else? Celiac disease? Thanks for any input - J

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Nausea is not a symptom of IBS per se. So yes, it should be investigated more thoroughly. This would start for example, with more details about the complaint, such as when the nausea starts what makes it worse/better and things like that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Flux you are dead wrong. Nausua can be a sympton of IBS. When the gas gets built up and has no place to go because the motility in your bowels is sluggish, that gas can cause one to have nausiated symptons.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Nausua can be a sympton of IBS.
Nausea is not a symptom of IBS per se
quote:When the gas gets built up and has no place to go because the motility in your bowels is sluggish, that gas can cause one to have nausiated symptons
No, gas that is "trapped" seems to cause pain. Nausea is something associated with functional dyspepsia and gastric dysmotility. It is possible to have these and IBS but IBS itself does not cause it.

G

·
Many IBS sufferers have nausea which as Flux says goes along with other disorders. I had nausea with my IBS, because of partial bowel obstructions which resolved without medical treatment. Was not that lucky this past March which resulted in surgery.Char

G

·
I have had IBS for about 40 years now...I started having minor nausea from time to time along with my IBS symptoms back about 25 years ago. Come to find ou, the nausea is from a small duodenal ulcer that coexists with the IBS but comes and goes. I would bet that this is more common that many might think. I keep Phenergan in the house all the time and take very small quantities of it to snuff out the nausea when it occurs...works great and has for many years. The IBS itself goes hand and hand with my anxiety which can also sometimes create some nausea, or at least the sensation of having it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
When I have really bad attacks I have nausea...and a great deal of it. I keep a bottle of emetrol in my purse. You can get it at most stores that have a pharmacy and you take it like a teaspoon or something like that every fifteen minutes or so....I don't even measure anymore...I just chug the stuff...it doesn't taste bad either...I would invest in it if I had a problem with nausea though. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I've had nausea with my IBS since day 1. Sometimes it is really bad, but usually it's more like feeling queasy all the time. For the minor queasies ginger tea works well, as does sucking on an Altoid. Emetrol works sometimes for certain types of nausea and yes, even cannabis for that really GNARLY nausea that nothing else helps (haven't used THAT in a while, thank goodness!
). The N. is usually under control while I've been on Elavil (25mg at night) but I'm weening off of that right now. I usually get nausea during the C phases. The worse the C, the worse the N. The D phases only bring pain and tiredness, no N. Since being on LEAP the swings aren't severe and the nausea attacks are very infrequent, and usually when I've eaten something I know I'm supposed to avoid. Most literature on IBS that I've read does not mention nausea as a symptom, and I tend to agree with Flux that something else is probably going on that the IBS aggravates. My GI doc says nausea IS an IBS symptom. So, really, who knows? I think it depends on how you characterize IBS. As per the ROME criteria nausea is not a symptom of IBS. As per this Bulletin Board, IBS and nausea for some of us go hand in hand for whatever reason. I've always said I can handle the C/D swings and the pain, but I can NOT handle the nausea....ick!!!!

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:My GI doc says nausea IS an IBS symptom.
Invite the doc to the BB to help quash this

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello!I have had nausea for about a month now and even got sick all the time as well. At the moment I still feel sick almost constantly but I can control the sickness a bit by not eating any fat and especially no cream or chocolate
My DOctor isn't concerned about the nausea and he just happily lets me try yet another drug every other week when I go in cause the meds aren't working. He says it is quite common and there is not a lot they can do, apart from when I have a med that helps for the pain and still feel nauseaus (or hwoeever you spell that) then he might prescribe something for it. atm he says it indicates how ell the meds are working.If have seen 4 different Doctors about this now and they all say not to worry about the nausea. Maybe you should go for a second opinion yourself just to set your mind at ease and see whta the other DOctor has to say!

·
Registered
14 Posts
well i have nausea just about 24/7, its kinda like 1 day im ok, 2 days im not, sometimes its bad, sometimes its worse, as far as i know it is part of IBS, i got tests 3 years ago, and they came to a dead end, so they said IBS, and feeling "shi**y" most of the time is a part of it, im told it might be LBS (leeky bowl syndrom) ???<<, where toxins reach the blood streem , then make you ill.but who realy knows right ?so i think it is common in IBSYOU ARE NOT ALONE

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm with "ohnometo"! I have a library full of IBS books, and they ALL have nausea as a symptom. The way I understand it (and have EXPERIENCED it!) practically every nasty symptom that deals with the digestive tract can be linked to IBS in somebody!
Nausea is no exception!

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote: library full of IBS books, and they ALL have nausea as a symptom
Book titles? This wasn't one of them was it?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
FluxYou never seen to amaze me with your bright ideas from someone that dont know the first thing about IBS....Could you explain how you know all the answers
when you dont even have IBS..Until you walk in someones shoes and know what goes on with their body keep your nasty comments to your self
Do you know how you can hurt the new people here on the board or do you even care

·
Registered
26 Posts
No, but this publication does ...The Merck Manual (Robert Berkow, M.D., Editor-in-Chief and Mark H. Beers, M.D., Associate Editor) Page 576, paragraph 6, "Symptoms""...the person may experience bloating, gas, nausea, headaches, fatigue, depression, anxiety, and difficulty concentrating ..."

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:"...the person may experience bloating, gas, nausea, headaches, fatigue, depression, anxiety, and difficulty concentrating ..."
It was just poorly written and a while ago at that. The current edition fixed that to some degree but is still pre-Rome II.

·
Registered
26 Posts
OK - here's a statement from Merck's current edtion (also edited by Doctors Berkow and Beers), Sec. 3, ch. 32:"In constipation-predominant IBS, constipation in common, but bowel habits vary. Most patients have pain over at least one area of the colon, associated with periodic constipation alternating with a more normal stool frequency. Stool often contains clear or white mucus. The pain is either colicky, coming is bouts, or a continuous dull ache; it may be relieved by a bowel movement. Eating commonly triggers symptoms. Bloating, flatuence, nausea, dyspepsia, and pyrosis can also occur." Is this also "just poorly written"?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:"In constipation-predominant IBS....Bloating, flatuence, nausea, dyspepsia, and pyrosis can also occur." Is this also "just poorly written"?
Yes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.