Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, so my doc suggested to take a probiotic for a few weeks to see how i go since ive yet to try that yet. he said, and i quote, "try yakult or any other probiotic from a health food store".so my question is, anyone had any luck with yakult for their C? is there any other probiotic you would recommend (ive read a few posters mention Reuteri? is that the brand or type of bacteria - sorry if that sounds dumb)? any other advice on probiotics (ive also read its best to start with high concentration of bacteria and reduce from there, duno if thats good or bad advice)?again, sorry if any of that sounds dumb. thanks for any help, would appreciate any reply!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
reuteri is a species of bacteria. I bought some recently that had reuteri on the outside label. L. reuteri is the first one that worked for me.DA-IBS is fairly inexpensive and at a lot of places like Walgreens or Walmart.You need to get enough (which is why sometimes pills work better than yogurt or other fermented milk things) to compete with the billions and billions of bacteria you already have. I find that over time I dont' need them as often as I get enough in there that I just have to reseed once in while rather than every day.K.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, thanks for the super quick response Kathleen.i live in australia so we dont have walgreens or walmart, but ill shop around and see what i can find.on drugstore.com, they list the ingredients of DA-IBS as "Active Ingredients: Di-pac, Mannitol, Ganeden Lactobacillus, Cultures, Lysine, Stearic Acid, Flavor, FD&C Blue 1, Aspartame"no reuteri...am i missing something? does it have alternate names?

·
Registered
82 Posts
About two months ago, a friend of mine insisted that I should try probiotics for IBS. She doesn't have IBS, but she's researched probiotics, & she thinks everyone should take them. I told her I had tried them once, & I didn't think they helped. She insisted that I try Acidophilus. I take double the recommended dose on the bottle. For two months, I've tried different probiotics, & so far Acidophilus works the best. I've tried one brand that I found in the refrigerated section, & one brand I found not refrigerated. The refrigerated brand worked alot better. Acidophilus is not a cure, but it helps me feel a little less miserable. So far, it works better for me than Zelnorm or Miralax.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am trying to ween myself off of zelnorm. I just can't afford the 500 dollars a year it costs to be on it. ANd it isn't helping to soften any of my bm's. So I am going to try the acidophilus. I guess you have to be careful what kind you buy. It should be refreidgerated because that is what keeps the bacteria alive. Any organic food store carries it and it is inexpensive. A friend of mine used to see a homeopathic doctor and that is what she was told. So I also bought muliti enzyme pills to take twice a day to help in the breakdown of foods. I am sick of being so gasy also. HOpefully this all helps to break down my food but also the acidophilus will help to keep things moving and be regulating the good bacteria.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This may help you out it is a quote from a previous post on this forum about probiotics. Hi. The "ProbioticBlends" Maximum Defense is working very well for me. I also still take MOM every couple of days just to help it along. My stomach does not hurt a 10th as much as it did before. You can only order the probiotics i take online. $27 including shipping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.