Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been recently diagnosed with IBS. I posted a message a while ago. I was wondering if anyone experiences a rash or dry spots on their face when they have bad spells. These dry spots and rashes on my face seem to be my clue that I am going to have a bad week. I was wondering if anyone else experiences this. I also have the more common symptoms like D, cramps, rolling stomach, and fatigue.Cara

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I haven't. Would those show up on all the test that they did. The thing is I have good days (like 3 in a row) then I also have bad days (like 4 in a row) and I eat the same thing basically everyday. I just don't know. Where would I get tested for that.Cara

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I haven't but I also haven't had any problems with acme or anything till this stomach thing started. I don't have them all the time either. It is a true indication of when I am going to have a D spell.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Our bodies are strange, aren't they? For years I used to get a big pimple on my stomach, always on the same spot, right before my period! LOL
Anyway, if it itches and bothers you maybe you can find something to ease it.
JeanG

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It doesn't itch. They are dry crusty spots on face (side of nostrals and across my top lip). At first my mom thought it was whisker burn from my b/f (lol). But we are no longer together and I still get it before every episode.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
HI CARA.Gotta run fast...babys' birthday party any minute but dry, crusty, no-itch "side of nose", etc. Sounds like seborrheic dermatitis. Annoying but there is stuff you can put on it. I said MAYBE, now so gimme a minute tomorrow...I will be back tomorrow to ask a Q or 2 but gotta go. jeanG is on the right track too...this and eczema are common skin conditions than can show up with people with allergy and delayed allergy, and IBS folks pop up a lot with skin-business as a side reactionBY MN:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, guys. I appreciate all your suggestions and help. I have told my GI about these dry spots and he didn't seem to really care to much about them. So any suggestions are appreciated.Cara

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
HI CARA....Whoa...for a 2-year old's Birthday party that was a helluva bash! What a MESS both in the house and in my head. So I am M.I.A. again today to clean up...both..this is the part though I love about marrying a latina: EVERY party is great, NEVER EVER will you have one of those sucky parties where everyone is sitting around either talking about their business is doing blahblahblah OR staring at the poppy seeds on the little coctail breads waiting for a stiff-breeze to make something happen. PLUS my baby got so much stuff I can spend the rest of the year buying stuff for me instead! (joke..she is 200% spoiled). So, I have to keep my spinning head on long enough to plow-out the debris but I remembered you had a skin question that, since it is sunday, you could run to the drug store and start on today so I am loggin in for a minuteWhew...sorry...the keyboard keeps moving around of it's own volition...OK here we go.SInce you said the patches were on the side of your nose and scaly, I assume they are a little red too. This is like typical for seborrhea, and it can show up like in the eybrows, or behind/below the earlobes sometimes. This is just excess sebum production from the sebacious glands, and the sebum forms the scaly stuff. Al the speculation in the world by all kinds of dermo's has not identified accurately any related SPECIFIC cause or cure for overactive sebacious glands (sound FAMILIAR?) BUT you can make it stay away.The quickie is to go get some 1% topical cortisone cream at the drug store (like Cortisone 10). It is OTC. Be sure to cleanse soap-free..avoid a toner for right now just get the face nice and clean and oil-free but an astringent might irritate the area more.Apply a small amount of the cream to the affected area 2-3 times a day and if it is seborrhea it will start to go away in a day or so...redness and flaking should subside. The Cort. Cream with Aloe in it is OK...some say it works even better.One can use this every time it flares up but if you keep applying cort cream to the skin you eventually get epithelial thinning which can become unsightly (do not worry...I am talking using it daikly for a couple years).So to keep the seb. away also get a bottle of the Selsun Blue Shampoo. After you cleanse your face each AM or PM or both, lather up some Selsun Blue shampoo and apply the lather to the affected area(s). Let it sit a minute or two and rinse it off. Usually, after your flareup calms down from the (2) if you use the Selsun Blue daily the seb. should stay under better control requiring less cortisone cream useage. If it shows up as flaky eyebrows or behind ears or such do the same thing.That is pretty much the regimen for seb. People have tried all kinds of diet fooling around, claimed tthe fats or carbos or the man in the moon makes you make too much sebum there but nothing ever seems to pan out. It is just easier to do this when you wash. So, again, if it is like you describe it sounds like seborrhea. So try it a few days and see if it helps.Whew...ok...stand up....get the broom and the plastic bags....MAN if there was some use for styrofoam cups with dried liquor in them I would ecstatic. You should see this...oh my god...I opened the window and its all over the back yard too. OYE!MAN I BETTER GO! My neighbors will have a lynch mob organized by noon!MNL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for all your help. I will try the cream and see if it helps any. Sorry, it took me so long to reply. I hope you have had time to relax after the party.Cara

1 - 11 of 11 Posts