Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I am so glad that I found this board. I was starting to feel like my there was nobody that understood what I was going through. I have so many symptoms I don't know where to begin..I have D 8-10 times a day, the bloating is unbearable, gas (especially at night), the blues, absolutley no appetite, pain after eating, I've always feel like I have to go and never feel "empty" afterwards, dizziness, fatigue, I pass a lot of undigested food and I have a few concerns.I have had a tonne of blood tests, stool samples, ultrasounds, urine analysis and I am just waiting to get an appointment for a Barium enema (very nervous!). I am positive that it is IBS but my doc wants to rule out IBD's. I can't beleive there is actually other people out there that have the same problem as me! I am so relieved. Anyways, back to my concerns. I am on the birth control pill and I am afraid that I may pass it without digesting it. Could it be making my IBS-D worse. My periods have been hell lately and I feel like I should just campout in the washroom. I am also a little worried about exercise. I have been working out on a regular basis for 3 years and I am now finding it really hard. I don't have the energy that I used to and I find the cramps and pain during and afterwards almost unbearable. I am a runner so I am looking at gentler things like Yoga and Pilates. Has anyone tried these with any sucess? What about pregnancy? Does it get worse during? I am a vegan and have been for four years. Does anybody know if that could make it worse? I am not about to change my diet but my doctor tried to pass off my symptoms as complications of my diet. Has this happened to anyone else?I am not a strong supporter of conventional medicine so if anyones has any natural remedies I would love your input. Thanks again. Piper

·
Registered
190 Posts
Tell your doctor to shove it!!!!
I feel that eating too much insoluble fiber could definitely exxacerbate things since it speeds things up. Focus on soluble fiber and bulking food such as rice, potatoes, and bread.I am transitioning to a vegan diet now that I have my health back. The more I do, the better I feel!Your periods MAY be a correlation. Read my post on the Lotronex page "alternative to try" and on the Living with IBS page as "Danik" for the username.I am temporarily without a computer since mine was taken out by a lightning storm and I have been battling with people pc to get it fixed. Their customer service stinks!Anyway..read the posts I have and see if any of the info helps you. I am still taking the Amitriptyline that I talk about and the only time I flare up is when I try to transition too quickly with my diet and overload on the insoluble fiber. If you have any other questions or just need to vent, feel free to email me and I will be glad to try and help. We had a discussion going in the Meeting place forum about a month ago regarding vegetarianism, I think it was titled "vegetarianism"...great discussion and I found several others that are veggies and they were extremely helpful to me.Good luck!Oh yeah, also check out www.vegsource.com if you haven't already."As often as Herman had witnessed the slaughter of animals and fish, healways had the same thought: in their behaviour toward creatures, all men were Nazis." -Isaac Bashevis Singer, writer, Nobel laureate, (1904-1991) [This message has been edited by danik (edited 07-17-2001).]

·
Registered
190 Posts
Tell your doctor to shove it!!!!
I feel that eating too much insoluble fiber could definitely exxacerbate things since it speeds things up. Focus on soluble fiber and bulking food such as rice, potatoes, and bread.I am transitioning to a vegan diet now that I have my health back. The more I do, the better I feel!Your periods MAY be a correlation. Read my post on the Lotronex page "alternative to try" and on the Living with IBS page as "Danik" for the username.I am temporarily without a computer since mine was taken out by a lightning storm and I have been battling with people pc to get it fixed. Their customer service stinks!Anyway..read the posts I have and see if any of the info helps you. I am still taking the Amitriptyline that I talk about and the only time I flare up is when I try to transition too quickly with my diet and overload on the insoluble fiber. If you have any other questions or just need to vent, feel free to email me and I will be glad to try and help. We had a discussion going in the Meeting place forum about a month ago regarding vegetarianism, I think it was titled "vegetarianism"...great discussion and I found several others that are veggies and they were extremely helpful to me.Good luck!Oh yeah, also check out www.vegsource.com if you haven't already."As often as Herman had witnessed the slaughter of animals and fish, healways had the same thought: in their behaviour toward creatures, all men were Nazis." -Isaac Bashevis Singer, writer, Nobel laureate, (1904-1991) [This message has been edited by danik (edited 07-17-2001).]

·
Registered
227 Posts
i am also vegan. i've found that my symptoms are more less than they were before and overall i just feel better. i also do yoga which seems to help with the stress. i keep a food journal to figure out what i can and cannot eat and i'm going to see a dietician soon to make sure i'm absorbing vitamins efficiently.overall veganism has been very positive for me.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i am also vegan. i've found that my symptoms are more less than they were before and overall i just feel better. i also do yoga which seems to help with the stress. i keep a food journal to figure out what i can and cannot eat and i'm going to see a dietician soon to make sure i'm absorbing vitamins efficiently.overall veganism has been very positive for me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am also a vegan, and of course the doctors think my gas and bloating is due to all of the vegetables I eat! My problem is C more than D, and NEVER completely feeling empty. I also run, and sometimes I am not sure if I am going to make it home before I have an accident- but I am determined! If I know it's going to be a bad morning I usually ride an exercise bike instead, that gets my heart pumping. I haven't tried Yoga, but I really would like to try sometime- I think maybe stretching would be good for the body and stomach! I really don't have any other advice except I don't think you should have to give up your diet for this disease. Alternating starchy foods for salads and veggies somedays or some meals would probably help with the D. Good Luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am also a vegan, and of course the doctors think my gas and bloating is due to all of the vegetables I eat! My problem is C more than D, and NEVER completely feeling empty. I also run, and sometimes I am not sure if I am going to make it home before I have an accident- but I am determined! If I know it's going to be a bad morning I usually ride an exercise bike instead, that gets my heart pumping. I haven't tried Yoga, but I really would like to try sometime- I think maybe stretching would be good for the body and stomach! I really don't have any other advice except I don't think you should have to give up your diet for this disease. Alternating starchy foods for salads and veggies somedays or some meals would probably help with the D. Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.