Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just a couple of quick questions. I am having my wisdom teeth removed in a few months, and am worried about the effects of the surgery on my ibs, particularly not being able to take immodium prior to surgery because of the anesthesia. I am also worried about the effects the antibiotics I will be on will have on my gut, as my condition was originally triggered by antibiotics. Any tips/suggestions, or anectdotes?Thanks-McPhale

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
McPhale,Well I would take imodium WITH the meals you eat the day before the surgery. And you might want to have a good probiotic in the house for after the surgery while you are on the antibiotics. Hopefully you will do just fine. As far as getting the wisdom teeth removed.... You will probably want to eat some softer foods once the extractions are complete.... so I would make sure you have some of those in the house as well. (Soups, stews...jello, sherbert, Italian ices.. ice cream & pudding.. if ya can handle that, etc.)Also I found ice is very helpful for afterwards too. So if you do not have an ice maker, I would make a bunch up and put it ziplock bags in your freezer.Hope it all goes very smoothly and as painlessly as possible! All the best

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Well I don't know specifically why McPhale can't have imodium... but I can tell you when I had my wisdom teeth out.. all 4 were impacted, being removed at one time and it was considered oral surgery. I was going under general anesthesia and I was aksed to have nothing by mouth from midnight the night before.But maybe McPhale has another reason. Hopefully she/he pops back in here.

·
Registered
168 Posts
When you're given anesthesia, it sometimes takes a bit for the GI tract to "wake" back up - Movements can be slowed, etc. Often time patients are given pain medications as well, and narcotics can lead to constipation. Perhaps your doc is worried about constipating you too much? All I know is after my surgeries, my IBS-D did wonderfully.Personally, I always eat more yogurt while I'm on antibiotics. I don't know if it's the peace of mind or it's actually working, but it always makes me feel better. I've never had my wisdom teeth out before, so I don't know how easy/hard it is to keep it down.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, that's why. I assumed that since I was going under anesthesia, I would be required not to have anything by mouth prior to surgery. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.