Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a recent post you said "I had IBS-D for siux months every day. When I decided mine might be related to stress I took an anti-anxiety drug. The D was gone in 48 hours. Just something to consider. Take care. "Have you had any recurrence at all? Has it completely gone away? Does this work for most people. I'm so desperate, I'll try anything.Thanks for the input.

· Registered
892 Posts
Yes, it has gone away completely. I am still on Xanax(an anti-anxiety drug)morning and bedtime at .25 mg--the lowest dosage. I'm also taking Effexor XR 75 mg once a day, at night. This is an anti-anxiety/anti-depressant med. My research has shown that some believe half of all IBS-D cases could also be labeled "stress/anxiety caused chronic diarehha." That was certainly true for me. I am responsible for my elderly parents who both have dementia and live in a facility very nearby. Since their move and deterioration I have suffered from first a tension headache that lasted two months, followed by ringing in my ears for months, then GERD and then the daily D that started in January. I tried every anti-D medication and it made aboslutely no difference. Neither did diet or relaxation techniques. I'm also one of those people who seems quite calm on the outside, so all that stress kept looking for a way to play itself out, and boy did it find it. I am of course seeing a psychiatrist and we're working on ways for me to better deal with stress. However, when your mother calls you in the middle of the night to sayn "burglars" are climbing in her window and your father propositions the caregiver it is hard to stay peaceful. But without the D, I can finally cope. Take care.

· Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Its funny because I always having ringing in my ears that drives me crazy. I also internalize stress but its the D that's really annoying. I used to get panic attacks but when my stress was reduced they went away. Then when there was more stress in my life, instead of panic attacks I'm getting IBS-D. Diet and exercise helps but it doesn't make it completely go away. I find the D has made me really depressed and more anxious, you know, the visious circle. Anyways, thanks for your advice.

· Registered
892 Posts
Hi Karen,I used to get panic attacks in my late 20s--I'm now 52--and I never could put my finger on what caused them. Medication and psychotherapy helped them and I eventually learned to deal with them and then they basically went away. In general, I'm one of those people who always seems calm on the outside, so I think I'm more likely to internalize stress--whether it is caused by good things or bad. (You might want to read the article I posted today on stress.) I think many people say they aren't stressed because they aren't involved in a major bad event. But since I have many things that cause stress, my body finds all sorts of ways to let me know. The ear ringing still comes back sometimes, and that seems to be highly related to stressful moments like difficult phone calls or crisis with my parents. Between the meds and therapy now, I really have my life back along with no D. I really wonder why more people don't try anti-anxiety meds when other things have failed to control their D/C. If it works, then at least you can probably eliminate other sources for the problem and then decide how you want to handle the anxiety long term. For some, like me, that means medication for now though I am working on relaxation techniques and yoga. Both help me to slow down and calm down, but for now I also need the meds because the stress with my parents is ongoing and unpredictable. Sorry for such a long post. Take care.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.