Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried taking 600 mg Calcium carbonate 3x's day w/meals. I'll be good for 2-3 days and then whammo, a blowout. Have any of you taken more than this dose? Would that help? Do you think it's safe? I just came back from 3 anxiety filled weeks in Europe, because I was so afraid of having an accident and the calcium wasn't enough to do the trick; in fact, I did have an accident one week into the trip. So,I started taking Immodium 2 to 4 pills a day TOGETHER w/the Calcium in order to avoid the embarrassment of "losing it" in front of my boyfriend AGAIN; spent next 2 weeks constipated; but, on the plus side--no accidents. Just recently, I've also tried adding fibercon to the dose of Calcium hoping it would absorb even more water--no success. Trouble w/fiber is that one day, it's just enough and next day it's too much!!!!!!! and I STILL have the pain which my doctor assures me that fibre would eliminate. Does it?Anyway, I digress from my original question. Any solutions?

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
The first thing is to be sure you are using the right form of calcium. If you have a calcium with magnesium be sure not to take it too close together. At least 4 or 5 hours is good. 40 mg of magnesium and no more. It is better not to take anything else until you see if the calcium will give you some control.Linda

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Linda, No, I'm not taking Calcium w/anything added, just pure Calcium Carbonate. I may add an extra pill before bed, but just wondering how much is too much. Do you know whether anyone has had trouble with kidney stones from taking calcium or is that just a myth?

·
Registered
617 Posts
The calcium alone was not helping me either if I didn't watch my diet too. Also I noticed if I took it on am empty stomach that wasn't good either!!!!!!! If I take the calcium with toast and tea , a sandwich, plain dinner I do pretty well. NO alcohol, and salad is never usually good for me either.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Queen of D,Some times people do better on the calcium carbonate with the added minerals that is the one I use. Sometimes it is just the calcium carbonate with vitamin d if it seem they are too sensative to the magneisum in the mineral ones. Sometimes it is a combination of both.Kidney stones a question many have and if your body is processing calcium as it should and you have no thyroid problem they it seems calcium helps to rid the body of the oxilates which lots of kidney stones are. 1800 Mg a day of calcium so that would be 3 tablets. Once in a while at the beginning I did take an extra one for more security. But not often. There is an adjustment period of finding what is right for you. Don't giv up too easy and try adjusting the dose around. If you worst time is in the morning then taking one at bedtime with a small snack would help that. So skip the dinner one and take that at bedtime.Linda

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.