Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Rose,Hope you don't mind singly you out, but after reading the threads this week about constipation, I feel that we are suffering from similar complaints.I wanted to ask you some questions about your use of psyllium.Today, I went shopping to try to find Perdiem (I live in the UK) and was unable to find this particular product, but did find a minefield of psyllium products. I wondered if you used Perdiem because after trying other psyllium products, this one worked the best. I found several different products,Lepicol which contained psyllium, lactobacillus acidophillus, and fructo oligosacchaudes and another called Psyllium Husk powder which contained apple pectin, dried prunes, and slippery elm bark and another two products which contained only psyllium. Do you think any of this matters?I did not find any psyllium which also contained senna. I think you said you alter between the two different Perdiem products.I'm not certain which direction to follow so perhaps you could let me know?Also, I wondered if you took any other products to help with constipation, like magnesium?Do you have any digestive complaints, like bloating, etc.? If so, does the Perdieum aid with this? Are you fiber sensitive?I am asking this because, I am super fiber sensitive and am uncertain how I will react to the Perdieum.Many thanks for your help.Best regards, Carol

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Hi Carol,I will try to answer your questions, the best that I can. First of all, another member of this board (diggin is her name) lives in the UK and found a product just like Perdiem. It is psyllium w/senna, but I forget what it is called. She said it is little granules just like the Perdiem. Do a posting to her, and I'm sure she will tell you. With regard to other psyllium products, I have tried Metamucil (which does basically nothing for me). I have also tried a product called Citracel, which is suppose to be less bloating, but I blew up like a balloon on that, and felt horrible. The Perdiem/w senna is the best thing I have found to help with the C, without having to increase my dosage. I do still get bloated, which I'm sure is from the psyllium, but I feel worse if I don't go at all. I have taken other laxatives over the years, including Exlax and Correctol, but it seems they don't work as well after a while without increasing the dose. At least with the Perdiem, I have never had to increase. If you are super sensitive to fiber, this might not be the product for you. I do take magnesium supplements when I think of it, but don't notice that they help much. I know other people swear by them though. I am just hoping that Zelmac will be released soon. Hopefully this will be the answer to our prayers. Feel free to ask more questions. I hope I answered everthing.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Rose,Thanks so much for your reply. I'll sent a note to Diggin and see what product she found in the UK. Visiting health foods shops can be so overwhelming.All the best, Carol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Me again!For CarolI do bloat a little with the Manevac but not nearly as much as by taking psyllium on its own. I actually take a tablet call 'colon cleanse' (with aloe vera, cascara etc) at night with a magnesium capsule (draws water into the colon) and a teaspoon of the Manevac in the morning with a multi vit, acidophillus, yakult and a magnesium (250g). It does all help as long as I stay away from triggers which, I have found to my dismay, include chocolate, pizza and cashew nuts (all favorites) but boy am I sufferring now.Good Luck------------------SD

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Carol and everyone.I live in the UK too, and i absolutely swear by Lepicol!
I have found a tremendous amount of relief from it as it has helped me to have a bm everyday - i am in a right old state without it!!!You have to start off real slowely though and build it up. I started out with 1 teaspoon a day in orange juice, then built it up to one in the morning and one at night, and then - as it says on the package - you can reduce the amount you take once you feel better to find the amount that is right for you to keep things regular. I find that one teaspoon in the morning is fine for me most of the time - and then if i get a c patch i take 2 instead and if it is really bad i'll take more in the evening. The great thing about it - is that it is safe to take longterm and you can vary the doses to suit how you are feeling.You have to take LOTS OF WATER with it though - i drink about a pint after mine. and then try and drink quite a lot throughout the day - otherwise you will get bad bloating and gas. I had my bloating completely undercontrol using Lepicol, and giving up dairy. I still have flare ups though - like today!! But i am trying to find the cause of this - i am sure it is not the psyllium as i have been fine while taking it for some time now.I have not heard of Manevac - sounds good? Although i would be wary of taking something with senna in longterm...doesn't it end up giving you lazy bowels?just a thought?When you say you are extremely sensitive to fibre - is that maybe because you weren't drinking enough water - or is that just anyway - for some people fibre is not the answer.
Diggin - does that colon cleanse help you? I have not heard of that either!!What is it meant to help with?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Diggin,How often are you taking colon cleanse? Aloe and cascara are stimulants and should not be taken every day. You will become dependent on them and they will stop working. However, I take a colon cleanse too because sometimes it's the only thing that works. I try not to take it more than once or maybe twice a week though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dear Diggin and Enna,Thanks for all your advise. Gosh, it's great to have others in the UK to communicate with. Lots of product information which others in the U.S. discuss are either in a different format here or are unavailable. It gets so confusing. However I have gained so much useful information easedropping on various threads.I'm trying to wean myself off Duclolax supporistories which my GP has been prescribing. This is all very new to me as my symptoms began in February and I've had blood tests, a sigmoidoscopy and next Tuesday I am scheduled for a barium enema. It is almost certain that this is IBS. My GP could offer very little to ease my initial distress, so I have gone alternative and have been seeing a Kinesiologist. This has been the turning point as far as all the initial distress and discomfort. In the beginning I was a basket case, and fibre was a big problem. My body just could not handle any fibre something innocent like ground almonds would send me into orbit. So we began slowly working on healing, well, basically, my guts. I began a course of Candistatin which is a Herbal enzyme and I took that with Colpermin for months. It did very little to ease my constipation but I gradually lost all that bloating, flatus, colicky feeling. Then we began eliminating foods, and wheat and cow milks were showing as big triggers. This I have done for a month, and there has been a remarkable difference in my recovery process. Now I need to pluck up courage a try to introduce some fiber so that I can ditch the Dulcolax.I've discussed all your suggestions, and it looks like I'll begin with Psyllium Husk Powder with Apple Pectin and Dried Prunes, a product made by Country Life. I'm also beginning a course of Vit C powder, adding some essential fatty acids with UDO's choice, and taking some Body Balance by Lifeforce which has aloe vera. I'll let you know how all this goes. I have started the fatty acids, and the Vit c, yesterday. But I think I'll wait on the psylllium husk until next week when I have the barium out of the way.I can highly recommend Kinesiology. It's all about bringing balance back to your body.Through the use of muscle testing (sort of acupuncture without the needles) you are able to determine exactly where imbalances are occurring. It is totally tailor-made treatment because your muscles are sending the signals. I know it sounds completely wacky but I'm having remarkable results.Thanks again for all your help.Keep in touch, Carol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.