Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks:I have been taking Bentyl (Dicyclomine) for 3 years now and I was wondering if anyone else on this board has experienced the same side effects as me. It makes me terribly drowsy and I notice that I have difficulty urinating at times. It's a bit frustrating, particuarly at work. Is there anyone out there who has switched from Bentyl to another drug and suffered fewer side effects? Thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've been taking Bentyl for about a year & a half.I get the dry mouth and don't urinate as much as I think I should, I feel kinda dull after takign one also. I keep taking them tho cause they also act as a mini-tranquilizer for me. I just haven't gotten around to trying anything else - I'm scared it wouldn't work. Others have luck with Remeron. Good luck

·
Registered
129 Posts
I currently take Bentyl and have taken Levsin in the past. I have the same effects you do taking Bentyl, however, these are mild for me compared to the side effects of Levsin. I got a terribly dry mouth and could go all day without going pee. As far as treating symptoms, however, I think Levsin did a better job at controlling spasms.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I used to take Bentyl without much success. I am now taking Donnatal and am having a much better time of it(3x daily - 1/2 hour before meals). I really don't have side effects from either but my doc has me take the Bentyl (20 mg.) in addition to the Donnatal when cramping is really bad (like yesterday) and I find that the combination does make me woozy. Didn't feel very comfortable driving home from work yesterday. However it did stop the pain from the cramping...loon

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've been taking Bentyl for ab out 20 years now and find that it has the best combination of symptom relief and side-effects. I am also relatively sensitive to varying doses of Bentyl. My doctor gives me 20mg tablets and says to take 3 times a day. That high of a dosage would completely wipe me out and turn me into a zombie. If it's going to be one of those days I take 1/2 tablet first thing in the morning and another 1/2 at lunchtime if necessary with 20mg a day as the maximum. This stops my guts from spasming about 90% of the time and also acts as an anti-anxiety drug. The reason I like Bentyl is that it is not habit-forming and is relatively safe as it has been in use for many years. After all these years my body still reacts the same way to the same low dose. It hides many of the symptoms of IBS-- it doesn't cure them. I don't think there is a cure yet as we all wouldn't be here if there was one!!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
met... I take it but not regularly. It does give me a dry mouth but it works for me to help calm down the spasms. Strangely enough it is one of the meds that I don't really have adverse reactions to. That is a plus for me as I tend to have adverse reactions to most meds.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If I'm not going to drive (...or operate any other heavy machinery...) I take the full 20mg. Otherwise I take 10mg (I have Rx for both). I only take it in addition to my daily dose of Donnatal (or is it Donnetel...I can never remember how to spell...)loon (nicknamed this for a reason...)

·
Registered
44 Posts
A GI doctor prescribed Bentyl for me. In order to avoid possible nausea, I took the Bentyl about 10 minutes before eating rather than 30 minutes before eating. I took it for a few days before meals and it seemed to help a little, but then I had a horrible spasming of the left lower colon. The spasming was less like the labor pain type cramping I normally get and more like horrible stabbing and twisting of the colon.I called the on call doctor and he said to stop taking it right away. So I haven't been taking it since.Does anyone here have experiences that would leave you to believe that I may have avoided this attack if I had taken the Bentyl 30 minutes before eating? Is it possible I was just too late?Thanks,Sarah

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the feedback folks. I take the 20mg once or twice a day. I keep taking it becuase I'd rather be drowsy than in pain but it's a tough trade-off. I'm not on Donnatal - how is that different?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I took bentyl on my own schedule (as little as possible) and no matter how much i took, it didnt work. i am now on levbid 2x a day and i am finding releif...but i still cary imodium with me and probably take one every other day (whenever i get that o no feeling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dicyclomine was prescribed for my Spastic Colon Condition. Probably the worst thing I could have done. I wasn't eliminating properly and relaxing the Colon, which is what this did, was just the opposite of what I really needed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello,I take 1 Dicyclomine and 1 Immodium every morning. So far until the "miracle drug" Lotronex comes back this regiment has helped. I am allowed to take up to 4 of each pill a day, but I have not had to. I have had IBS(D) for 12 years .

·
Registered
87 Posts
I take Bentyl too. My doc prescribed the 10mg, take 1-2 of them 3 or 4 times a day. But when I was working I could only take one during work or I'd be so drowsy. They also gave me Librax once after a visit to the Emergency Room...those wiped me OUT!!!!! So if I am in extreme pain, I take those...but they are habit forming. Now that I am not working, and having the IBS-D pains daily (ya think stress???) I have to take the Bentyl all day long. I am thinking they don't work so well anymore. I really don't know what else to take, these drugs were all new to me after my diagnosis last July. Oh, but I also take Luvox, which is an anti anxiety/OCD med...maybe the combo just isn't right for me.Debra

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey it isnt just me then?i have been taking bentyl for just a week now and feel so sleepy about an hour or so after i take it.....apparently this is common?i have ibs/d (crohns) and have had a stressful past couple of months.....and will continue as i am moving starting grad school etc.....so it is safe to ask my doctor if i can stay on it through all this?i am just starting to eat again after 3 weeks of liquids/crackers/soup....and dont want an attack to start back up again as soon as i get off bentyl...because i know the stress will still be with me.......

·
Registered
563 Posts
Bentyl works much better than Levsin did for me. I felt really tired and got visual disturbances on Levsin, and it did nothing for my cramps. I take 10 mg ideally 1 hour before eating (my GI's direction) and it really helps tone down my reaction to food. It also helps if I'm having cramping at other times, but takes awhile. I get a little dry mouth and feel pleasantly relaxed, not spacy or drowsy. It doesn't affect being able to pee, at least at that dose. I haven't taken more than 10 mg, but sometimes take it every 3 hours on a bad day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.