Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like Beverly I too have just recently been diagnosed with IBS and for the past month I have been doing the following: At present I have been perscribed the medication DICETEL 100mg to be taken three times a day a half hour before each meal. As far as diet goes I abstain from cheeses, ice cream, anything acidic ie tomatoes/ sauces, grapefruit/juices, oranges/juices, cabbage, beans of any kind! Broccli, cualiflower, anything gaseous.Without fail every morning I have a half to three quarters cup of All Bran mixed with fat free yogurt and unsweetened apple sauce. At noon or relatively close to lunch time I have a salad; cut up lettuce, bacon bits, a fat free dressing with fat free sour cream and a tablespoon of mixed nuts (protien) and a bowl of fresh cut up fruit: Strawberries with blueberries, pinapple, papaya. For my dinner meal I again eat more salad and a portion of meat typically chicken or pork. I abstain from red meats due to a history of Ulcerated Colitis from Age 10 through to age 31. It has now been fourteen years or more since the last flare up.As for liquids I drink an 8 ounce glass of cranberry juice with the medication. I allow myself one cup of coffee with my breakfast. Throughout the day its water, water, water! I feel like my kidneys are floating!!! LOLI have your typical symptoms multiple movements on a daily basis from diaherria to constipation and bloating and yes elimination is always the relief!Is there anything else I should or could be doing to have the best quality of life on a daily basis.Another question can this IBS be controled with diet only so that I don't have to be on any kind of medications?

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
You could try to see if fructose intake is related to D. Fructose is in veggies, fruits, particularly a lot in juices and high fructose corn syrup. I find if I abstain from fructose I get C and with too much fructose I get D. So it is baancing act.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Relief & TreatmentIt’s not surprising that no “cure” has been found for IBS since it seems to be a collection of syndromes with a number of contributing causes. The first step in treating IBS may be close monitoring of the symptoms, your daily habits, and any other factors that may affect gastrointestinal function. It is strongly advised to work closely with a health care provider though many sufferers simply endure the symptoms because of embarrassment. A variety of symptom related treatments and therapies are available and they can be utilized and combined to effectively reduce the pain and intestinal distress and to effectively “manage” IBS. People with IBS commonly describe food intolerances and, for many people, careful eating reduces IBS symptoms. Before changing your diet, the systematic elimination of particular foods can be helpful to determine the relationship between the food and symptoms. Keeping a record of food intake and discomfort can help you make effective changes to your diet. The danger in eliminating foods in a nonsystematic way is that it can erroneously lead people to eliminate important sources of nutrition from their diet. In addition, unnecessary dietary restrictions can further worsen the quality of life in patients who already have enough to cope with. Many doctors recommend the temporary elimination of dairy products since lactose intolerance is common and can cause symptoms similar to IBS or aggravate IBS. People who avoid lactose should take dietary calcium supplements. Several foods are only partially digested in the intestines. When they reach the colon, further digestion takes place by bacteria, which produce gas as a byproduct of their digestion. As a result, these foods can cause gas and cramps. The most common are the legumes (such as beans) and cruciferous vegetables (i.e., vegetables that have a cross at their base) such as cabbage, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and broccoli. In addition, some patients have trouble with onions, celery, carrots, raisins, bananas, apricots, prunes, sprouts, and wheat. An effective plant-based digestive enzyme supplement can help with the first stages of digestion and probiotics can insure the bacterial balance necessary to complete digestion. High-fiber diets keep the colon mildly distended, which may help prevent spasms. Some forms of fiber also keep water in the stool, thereby preventing hard stools that are difficult to pass. Doctors usually recommend a diet with enough fiber to produce soft, painless bowel movements. High-fiber diets may cause gas and bloating, but these symptoms often go away within a few weeks as your body adjusts. Whole grain breads and cereals, fruits, and vegetables are good sources of fiber but are not always convenient. Fiber supplements and high fiber meal replacers can be used in these cases.Drinking six to eight glasses of plain water a day is important, especially if you have diarrhea. Drinking carbonated beverages, such as sodas, may result in gas and cause discomfort. Chewing gum and eating too quickly can lead to swallowing air, which again leads to gas. Also, large meals can cause cramping and diarrhea so eating smaller meals more often or eating smaller portions should help IBS symptoms. It may also help if your meals are low in fat and high in vegetables, fruits and complex carbohydrates such as whole grain breads and cereals. Stress managementWorry, anxiety and other mental stress are major components in many IBS attacks. If possible, identify and avoid stressors that make your IBS symptoms worse. Making time to relax and spend quiet time alone can be therapeutic and rejuvenating. It is important to prioritize your daily tasks and not to overload your schedule. Besides improving your overall health, regular exercise can provide benefits that are especially valuable to people with IBS. It can help decrease feelings of stress and may help simulate rhythmic contractions of your intestines

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.