Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

How did your IBS start ?

• After the use of immune suppressants/antidepressants/Any other prescription medication

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I selected "stress", but it was actually right after an accident with some trauma to my left ribs.

Was on a farm tractor and got hit by a car on my left side. Three days later I came down with double pneumonia, IBS-D began soon after. The pain from the accident lasted more than ten years, the 'D' was 22 years until I tried kratom. Been free of IDS-D for three years.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I selected "stress", but it was actually right after an accident with some trauma to my left ribs.

Was on a farm tractor and got hit by a car on my left side. Three days later I came down with double pneumonia, IBS-D began soon after. The pain from the accident lasted more than ten years, the 'D' was 22 years until I tried kratom. Been free of IDS-D for three years.
Thank you for your response !

·
Registered
145 Posts
When I look back in time I'm not quite sure. When I was a kid I was inclined to be a bit constipated sometimes. I never worried about it. If I didn't go, I didn't go, then I went another day and it was okay.
But later, in my 20's onwards, my gut was my saving grace, always healthy and regular. I ate healthy food. Thought that was it....forever.
But some time about 2006 -ish? I found I got a bit constipated if I was tense or stressed or had to travel early in the morning. I knew that was just tension and it resolved the next day.

Then in 2016 I got randomly constipated even after eating healthy food as usual, and had to use a glycerin suppository. Those two days were no fun, but it passed.
2017 I had 3 or 4 incidents of waking too early, like 5am, and having to go quickly to the toilet. Felt a bit shaky and weird for a few hours but blamed that on tiredness, and was fine the next day. I thought they were just weird random events.

Then in 2018 I felt generally unwell with something that felt like flu, but the doctor thought was migraine! (I never had that before.) And for 1 week my lower gut was so upset with unusually loose stools.
That went away and didn't come back.
Until 2020 March 7th, and has been on-going ever since with remissions and flare ups of the "D" variety. Seems unconnected with food. In a remission I can eat anything with no symptoms, another time suddenly it makes me ill with IBS. IBS is so exhausting.

Reactions: Kenny

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I look back in time I'm not quite sure. When I was a kid I was inclined to be a bit constipated sometimes. I never worried about it. If I didn't go, I didn't go, then I went another day and it was okay.
But later, in my 20's onwards, my gut was my saving grace, always healthy and regular. I ate healthy food. Thought that was it....forever.
But some time about 2006 -ish? I found I got a bit constipated if I was tense or stressed or had to travel early in the morning. I knew that was just tension and it resolved the next day.

Then in 2016 I got randomly constipated even after eating healthy food as usual, and had to use a glycerin suppository. Those two days were no fun, but it passed.
2017 I had 3 or 4 incidents of waking too early, like 5am, and having to go quickly to the toilet. Felt a bit shaky and weird for a few hours but blamed that on tiredness, and was fine the next day. I thought they were just weird random events.

Then in 2018 I felt generally unwell with something that felt like flu, but the doctor thought was migraine! (I never had that before.) And for 1 week my lower gut was so upset with unusually loose stools.
That went away and didn't come back.
Until 2020 March 7th, and has been on-going ever since with remissions and flare ups of the "D" variety. Seems unconnected with food. In a remission I can eat anything with no symptoms, another time suddenly it makes me ill with IBS. IBS is so exhausting.
Thanks so much for that elaborate response !

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I went vegetarian for about two or three months straight, it ruined my intestines. It's rare but it can happen. Plus IBS runs in my family, but I never had any problems before my so-called health kick.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Mine seem to start shortly after a long period of drug abuse. First Amphetamines and later Cocaine. Getting off the drugs led to Depression. When I recovered the IBS-D symptoms started. Stress related I'm sure.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine seem to start shortly after a long period of drug abuse. First Amphetamines and later Cocaine. Getting off the drugs led to Depression. When I recovered the IBS-D symptoms started. Stress related I'm sure.
Strange , I find a lot of people who report similar onsets- during recovery from a stressful period. Even in my case , after a severe period of stress , when i had just started feeling like myself again , started noticing IBS-D. God alone knows what happens in the body post a stressful period.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hmm, I'm not sure any of the options fit my situation.

Story:

I was going on a scuba diving trip around age 15, and on the way we had Taco Bell for dinner. I had a single bean burrito, and my very first IBS-D attack occurred that night. So it didn't happen randomly, but I can confirm through medical testing that it wasn't any kind of infection, medication, or stress. But I still consider that point to be the trigger, because I'd never had any issues before and have continued to have them since. It would be interesting to time travel back to that night and just say "I'm not hungry", then see what happens. ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have just 11 people who have participated , thank you so much for your contribution.
Could we please get more participation ?This survey takes less than a 15 seconds to complete . Please do put in your votes, I would reeli appreciate it .

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would be interested to see more responses too, as I am always curious to know what is a likely starting point for IBS.
Apart from my above post, I also had quite a few years of stress of one kind or another before the IBS started, and a lot of deep grieving for loved ones passed away. The grief used to tear through me frequently in the middle of the night, with anxiety attacks too. But at the time my gut was okay. I had no idea IBS was coming.

Reactions: Kenny

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've set up a quick survey , please spare a few seconds to take it
I clicked random because the other options don’t really fit. As far as I can remember the symptoms started when I was turning 40. But I only had flare-ups twice a year at the most. That’s why I didn’t pay much attention. I also have viral/bacterial infections affecting the gut about once or twice a year. IBS didn’t decide to stay until early this year. I think it might be hormone-related since I’m menopausal.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I clicked random because the other options don’t really fit. As far as I can remember the symptoms started when I was turning 40. But I only had flare-ups twice a year at the most. That’s why I didn’t pay much attention. I also have viral/bacterial infections affecting the gut about once or twice a year. IBS didn’t decide to stay until early this year. I think it might be hormone-related since I’m menopausal.
Thanks much for elaborating !

·
Registered
5 Posts
I selected a period of stress because none of the other options applied to my story.

I was prescribed Viekira Pak for Hepatitis C after my recovery from heroin addiction. The drug caused severe abdominal pain in the right side for about 2 years even though the course was only 6 months long.

I started my business near the middle of that 2 year period and quit my job. Coffee had become a part of my life since recovery, and especially during my time as a machinist before my self employment. So when I began working for myself, coffee was a great way to have energy without having to stop working to eat. I drank it early in the morning, as strong as I could make it, with lots of cream and raw sugar. It came to a point where I would not eat breakfast, but instead just drank coffee. Or after a meal I would force a coffee down because I suppose I was addicted to it. So, coffee was my first assumption when I started having wet/loose stools.

In the evenings after work I figured I could eat more since I had missed breakfast and possibly lunch. So I would stuff myself in front of the tv for several hours and then go to sleep with a very full stomach loaded with rich foods. Then in the morning I would drink my coffee and have a wet bowel movement. Not uncontrollable, just not normal.

Over time I began to only have these wet movements, and less and less firm stools. It got so much worse during the summertimes when work was super busy until this year when I stopped drinking coffee. I had expected that eliminating coffee would make my body go back to normal but it did not. In fact my appetite has increased and my ability to digest seems to have decreased. Although I truthfully have more energy now that the coffee is not a habit.

But the wet stools are perpetual- the last good stools I had, my wife was out of town and I was basically eating nothing but meat and eggs with various vegetables. I don't know if it was the low-carb situation or what but I've only had three days when the poop was in a turd form over this whole four month long experimental phase of "self-help."

Now I have been practicing fasting for short periods like 24-48 hours when I can, in preparation for a longer fast once my work slows down for the year. No eating, no loose stools! Haha. But most of the poops are firm at the very beginning and then are immediately wet and loose after they start to pass.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I selected a period of stress because none of the other options applied to my story.

I was prescribed Viekira Pak for Hepatitis C after my recovery from heroin addiction. The drug caused severe abdominal pain in the right side for about 2 years even though the course was only 6 months long.

I started my business near the middle of that 2 year period and quit my job. Coffee had become a part of my life since recovery, and especially during my time as a machinist before my self employment. So when I began working for myself, coffee was a great way to have energy without having to stop working to eat. I drank it early in the morning, as strong as I could make it, with lots of cream and raw sugar. It came to a point where I would not eat breakfast, but instead just drank coffee. Or after a meal I would force a coffee down because I suppose I was addicted to it. So, coffee was my first assumption when I started having wet/loose stools.

In the evenings after work I figured I could eat more since I had missed breakfast and possibly lunch. So I would stuff myself in front of the tv for several hours and then go to sleep with a very full stomach loaded with rich foods. Then in the morning I would drink my coffee and have a wet bowel movement. Not uncontrollable, just not normal.

Over time I began to only have these wet movements, and less and less firm stools. It got so much worse during the summertimes when work was super busy until this year when I stopped drinking coffee. I had expected that eliminating coffee would make my body go back to normal but it did not. In fact my appetite has increased and my ability to digest seems to have decreased. Although I truthfully have more energy now that the coffee is not a habit.

But the wet stools are perpetual- the last good stools I had, my wife was out of town and I was basically eating nothing but meat and eggs with various vegetables. I don't know if it was the low-carb situation or what but I've only had three days when the poop was in a turd form over this whole four month long experimental phase of "self-help."

Now I have been practicing fasting for short periods like 24-48 hours when I can, in preparation for a longer fast once my work slows down for the year. No eating, no loose stools! Haha. But most of the poops are firm at the very beginning and then are immediately wet and loose after they start to pass.
Thank you for elaborating , appreciate it ! Every vote(poll) and every story adds value , maybe someday we can figure out a pattern

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i was working at a preschool and got thre stomach virus twice and never fully recovered and now 2 years later i want a job and still cant work, very frustrating!
Thanks for replying , looks like your vote in the poll is for PI IBS then ? 6th category from the top (After a stomach infection)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts