Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I updated my working section thread (for anyone with IBS-D and struggling with an employer, it may be an interesting read). Besides this, I had a quick question: once a doctor agrees to write you a letter about your medical condition, but you haven't received it yet (Dr. has to prepare it), would you update your boss that you did indeed visit the doctor as promised and that you are now waiting for the letter?One thing I'm concerned about is that if I tell my boss this, he will move to fire me before I can submit the letter in the next 2 weeks or so. He's basically been hounding me on my productivity and scheduling issues and in a sense, I feel the axe will drop at anytime. Or, after a doctor's visit, would you keep your mouth shut and simply follow up with HR/your boss once you have the letter in hand? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I would just get the letter done asap and get it in to HR and ask HR if your boss will be forwarded a copy. And I would just do your best to satisfy the current schedule and be to work on time as far as the latest time that was agreed upon. And just get that letter done. There is no need to tell your Boss anything. And if your word usage is accurate and your Boss is "hounding" you .. I wouldn't speak to him about it at all. Only speak to your HR person or union rep if you have one.But ideally.. just get the letter done and in as soon as you can. This way there is no problem or less of a possibility of one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi There,My advice is to get your paperwork filled out by your physician. Have you applied for FMLA?I would recommend having your physician complete the necessary FMLA paperwork. If you have that filled out then your boss will not be able to get rid of you for not coming to work when it relates to the illness outlined on your FMLA papers. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi There,My advice is to get your paperwork filled out by your physician. Have you applied for FMLA?I would recommend having your physician complete the necessary FMLA paperwork. If you have that filled out then your boss will not be able to get rid of you for not coming to work when it relates to the illness outlined on your FMLA papers. Hope this helps.
Hi pastagirl4, thanks for the FMLA paperwork advice. Thankfully my mostly IBS-D isn't bad enough that I need to take a leave of absence. What I'll be seeking is a more flexible work schedule (no mornings), and hopefully telecommuting.But I will follow BQ's advice and have the Dr. compose the letter asap. He's only available for micro appointments (a follow up appointment is needed) one day a week (that I'm not working) and so the soonest I could get the letter is by the end of next week, otherwise two, if it comes down to it. I guess I'm hoping the manager doesn't take action before then. But that's something out of my hands, so I'll try not to stir the pot before then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts