Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,I used to be IBS A but was always more C with just abit of D every few weeks but all of a sudden I turned into IBS D in around Spring time this year.Just wondering if anyone can help me with this...1. I have stomach aches every single morning, can have quite abit of gas with it and it is very soft or diahorrea every morning which can set me off for the rest of the day with it been like this all day or it can settle down so no urgency just pain - does anyone know why this happens? The stomach ache every morning really gets to me.2. Is there anything I can do to stop the diahorrea and firm my stools up abit - not too much as I used to be more IBS C - but enough to have a normalish stool?My diet mainly consists of:rice krispies and soya milk for breakfastcupa soup (on a bad day) or jacket potato with salad or bacon sandwich (on good days) for lunchPotato (waffles, chips etc) with chicken and either rice or salad for teaI have snacks such as digestive biscuits, apples and grapes throughout the day. If i'm having a good week I do eat chocolate and crisps but don't overload.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hi, I found apples or fruit really caused problems and made things worse for me. So I tended to steer clear of fruit. Although it didn't really seem to matter what I ate it still came out with the same problems. After several years and speaking with the doctor I started to take immodium everyday. It didn't stop the problem and I still had to spent hours on the toilet every morning but it made things a little easier during the day. A lot of people argue that you shouldn't do this but I got to the point where I couldn't get out the door and I was willing to try anything. I had to take 2 as soon as I got out of bed and they started to work after a few hours. I never suffered with constipation as it was always diarrhea everyday but I can say that I would not have managed if I hadn't taken the immodiums. They helped to give me more of a routine and although I still had morning problems, it did calm down by the afternoon, whereas when I didn't take them, it carried on all day. I can't really offer much help with the pain but I did find a hot water bottle eased the cramps and pain a little.Sorry you're having such a rough time, hope this helps a little bit. Claire

·
Registered
195 Posts
hi stephpeds,i can have it similar to that also. have some days where i will go a couple of times within a few hours of being up and then that may be it for the whole day, or until a little bit in the evening. or i can go a couple of times in the morning like before, but then go maybe another 2 times during the day that is soft, and have urgency etc... either way if i am having a day of pains they will be with me all day whatever the bm pattern.. most annoying. in answer to your question i do not really know why it is like that, sorry, just the way it is i guess..all the best.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Stephpeds You might want to reconsider the amount of carbs you are eating. And insert some more lean protein (bacon really isn't lean) Also I would skip chips or anything fried for a bit.Some IBS'ers have trouble with a lot of carbs. And perhaps try eating well cooked veggies as opposed to raw veggies found in salads. I mean if you are having D you wanna eat well cooked veggies.. and stay away from or limit raw veggies. And I agree with Claire you might be better off skipping the raw fruits for awhile. Cooked fruit (stewed or like applesauce) might be fine... but still for a bit.. I would limit it til you feel much better.Also..... use an anti-gas agent WITH your meals and see if your morning pain lessens.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replys.Claire - yeah the past few weeks have been really unsettled for no reason, i'm hoping they calm down again soon! If I take Immodium it messes me up for days so I only take it on the rare occasion I am going out with friends or if I am going on very long car journeys!IPPO - Please let me know if you find anything which settles you down!BQ - I used to have veggies through the week but I found my symptoms to be much worse the next morning so now I limit them to just Sundays. Also I don't have anything fried, everything is done in the oven.Is there an alternative that is good to snack on instead of the fruit?I can't eat; nuts, oats, corn, eggs, cheese or milk.What type of foods bulk stool up?Do you have an example of anti-gas agent?Many Thanks!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Do you have an example of anti-gas agent?
simethicone commonly is found in anti gas agents.. I have no idea where you are so I don't what anti gas products would be available to you. I am sure however you could find them easily in the drug store so have a look there.
I used to have veggies through the week but I found my symptoms to be much worse the next morning so now I limit them to just Sundays.
I only said what I did about veggies because 1) You didn't mention anything about 1 x a week. And 2) You mentioned you ate salad.. which in my mind entails raw veggies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.