Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been up and down over the years with my ibs. a shock change in diet really helped 5 or so years ago but it stuck around. 10 weeks ago i quit smoking and after 3 weeks of C i have had the most amazing change. 10 years of D gone! i am going to the toilet properly. my god it feels good! just thought i would let people know!!!!the flip side is that my body doesn't know how to celebrate - i am still in shock and it may be the absence of nicotene but i have been having one or two days a week feeling sad... i can deal with it and will - i'm sure it is the shock of not worrying about my stomach - or smoking related stuff! weird to feel almost normal.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Yay for you!! I quit 7 months ago. What a ride that first 6 months was! Since then the main time my D rears it's ugly head is ahem, once a month for a few days or during a bug. The rest of the time I seem to have switched to a C. Unfortunately for me I'm still in a lot of pain all the time and feeling dodgy and awful. I'm so glad that you've found your IBS has pretty much gone. If I'd known for all those years that most of my D was from ciggies I would have given them the boot years ago! (should have anyway-lol).The sadness will go away. It can take a while, you have to remember that in a (somewhat tragic) way we mourn the loss of one of our best friends ever (actually our worst enemy in best friend disguise). Smoking was there for us always, but it's so much better for it to be gone! Congratulations on quitting and I hope your good tummy days continue!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply screamer. i waited a few weeks to post just to make sure i was feeling better. it seems i am - although i haven't had any stressful situations yet - i should be ok! yeah , the 'sad face' feelings are weird. never really felt sad for no reason. good luck with yours. sounds awful. 5 years ago i stopped taking tablets/metamucil, eating dairy and eating bread - just for two months - that was excellent aswell - if that s any help.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Lol, thanks for the tip but honestly I've tried everything (but a total elimination diet which with 5 people in the house to feed is not exactly practical when needing to eat nothing but boiled chicken and pears!). Every diet, every supplement, it's ridiculous. I've had the most luck with the hypno cd's. Even my GP told me 9 months ago that he's given up on me and cannot help me so I haven't bothered to go back to him again. Sigh, bring on a cure I say!!! Just let the sad feelings come, they will pass. Lol, for me as well as the sadness I got stressed and angry. Hubby said now he knows what menopause is going to be like and he's moving out! Thank goodness that passed too!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Goes to show how different we all are..I never had IBS until I quit smoking 16 yrs ago. I guess the smoking helped me to handle stress and keep it away from my stomach. I had no choice , I had to quit, I was starting to get breathing problems. To this day I miss smoking and would start again in a heartbeat...problem $$$$$$$$$$ they got too expensive for a widow on social sec.!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.