Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at my wits end.I have finally quit smoking (for 2 weeks now),and my diarreah has never been worse.It is like water running out and the rumbling is horrible.I have not changed my diet and continue to take my caltrate and acidopilus.I can usually take immodium for flare ups,but even that isn't working now
I am on the nicoderm patch,wonder if that could have anything to do with it?Has this happened to anyone else.I am so proud of myself,and am able to breath deeper and everything already.I really want to do this,but if quitting is gonna cause D like this I just don't know.....Please help!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Pookie-Good for you!!!!!Cheers to you for quitting smoking
I really need to do the same thing and I am very anxious about it for fear of my IBS getting worse (on another IBS board there were a few people who reported IBS flareups or not feeling well in the gut when they stopped smoking-there were also people who had no problems.). I never used the nicotine patch but but I know people who did (who didn't have IBS)one gal got really nauseaus, switched BRANDS of the patch and had no more problems. Maybe that would work for you.
------------------Nancy

G

·
Hey pookie, good for you, it's a tough job.I can't tell you whether it was the patch, or increased anxiety that made my D worse, in retrospect, i'm sure it was the anxiety. One more week and the worst will be over. I suggest that you take some time to do some physical as well as mentl relaxation routines.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Great going Pookie for quitting. I quit smoking before I got IBS-D and I had the same thing happen, diarrhea, bad. It took me a full year of quitting, smoking, quitting, smoking, then finally the final one, each time I got the BIG-D, I think it's a side effect of quitting smoking. Other's that I've talked who quit had the same thing happen to them. It will pass, keep up the good work.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Pookie - I totally relate - TOTALLY! I can't tell you how many times I tried to quit and had this happen! Not that long ago actually. And its so frustrating - makes you wonder if its worth it all! I have quit again, this time no "D" - don't know why, haven't done anything different - and its been since Jan. 12th. I'm doing well and haven't had a drop of "D" since quitting. Nor have I had a smoke. I quit cold turkey, don't know how the patch would affect this.My advice to you is to not give up, please keep trying, one of these days you'll quit and the "D" won't come. Just hang in there, the right time WILL come! One other thing - I found that each time I quit, I've tried several times and started again, usually because of some lame reason or other, often because I used to get HORRIBLE gas when I quit, then later the "D" instead - but anyway, rambling here, each time I quit, my IBS seemed to get worse, so I'm thinking here, the sooner you quit, the better - 'k?Just a thought to ponder. We can do a support thing here if you like. It kinda started on the Meeting Forum and just fizzled out - don't know whether the others haven't been doing so well perhaps? Anyway, I'm still here, still not smoking, and we can go it together if you wanna.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies.I feel pretty sure now that the quitting is what is causing this flare up.I am still gonna hang in there...we'll see.Like I said,I feel so good otherwise,not too irritable or any of the kinds of things I expected.I would love to be part of a support system.I have been a smoker for 13 yrs,of course I quit during my 3 pregnancy's and 2 other times besides,but don't remember having D like this.I am 32 now and just want to get my body back in tip top shape,if that is possible??With this IBS I mean.So tomarrow will be day 12 for me!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Congats to you Pookie!!! Quitting smoking is tough, but in the long run it will be the best thing that you can do for yourself. Nicotine is one of my hubbys "triggers" but he hasnt been able to quit. He has been a smoker for 22 years,but we have discussed us "BOTH" quitting on Valentines day. So keep up the good work, dont forget we are all here backing you so if you need to vent drop a post or an email. Guess what when I saw your name on the board I almost freaked!! My husband has been called Pookie by his family since birth, in fact they still call him that now (and he is 35) I thought he posted, good thing I checked your profile,( I would of been extremely embarrased if I called a woman "honey")Nice to meet you anyway!! GOOD LUCK!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.