Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my ibs has been good for years but recently i've noticed it is creeping back since i've started cutting down on cigarettes and using patches. i've been doing well but feel like i have a nervous stomach and need to go 3 or 4 times a day - no real pain between.any hints/tips?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Maybe you're having some trouble because of the anxiety of quitting? I quit a year and a half ago. I went cold turkey. The first two days were the hardest but I made it. Have you talked to your doctor about Zyban? It's actually Wellbutrin, but it's prescribed differently. It helps you quit and helps with any anxiety. Good luck!Liz

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Hi! Congratulations on deciding to quit. I quit almost 5 months ago. I'd attempted to quit twice before and both times seemed to get terrible D when I did. This time round however the first 2 days I hovered near the loo and since then I have been battling more C than I have D. I used the patches for the first 5 days then went off them. If you are chewing the gum that could be doing it too as it's full of artificial sweetener (as are the losenges) so the patches are probably a little gentler on the belly. Hang in there, your tummy and your cravings will get better (ps when you say cutting down on cigarettes you know it's really dangerous to smoke and be on the patches at the same time as you can get nicotine overdose and that may make you vomit, get D and end up very ill?)

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Interesting Brett, thanks for sharing. Actually I think I recall seeing this on one of those beyond the future shows here and some bloke was getting injections to help him quit (he was part of a trial of this when it was first hmmm invented is not the right word but you know what I mean). He managed to quit longterm from memory however he said that for the first little while he could tell when it was almost time for a shot as he started wanting a cig. The more stuff they bring out to help smokers kick the habit for good though the better. I'd have to say, honestly, that out of every hard thing I've ever done and given up, smoking has been the toughest, it is doable though. The anticipation of the quit is harder than actually doing it (and a whole lot scarier). Anyway, waffling up here now instead of the hypno forum-lol. Must be in chat mode tonight! Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Hi Screamer.
Update on my quit...only one smoke since 3 days.My cold is helping me A LOT to stop.I have resist to buy a pack.I follow you Screamer,i'm so strong.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Check that's me in real time;
You've got PM.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I quit about 15 months ago. I used the gum which did make my D worse at times but controllable with lomotil. I needed that oral stimulus. Stick with it....any bad side effects will subside and its so nice not to have to worry leaving the house and wonder if all the cigarettes are out. No going outside at work when it's 10 below to smoke. Hell, I can't think of any drawbacks other than at first I had trouble sleeping and more gas for some reason.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good news. the d / nervous tummy went away after day 1. i'm half way through day 3 now and feeling GREAT. scared but i read a really good book and the author gave some really handy tips.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good news... the d / nervous tummy went away after day 1. i'm half way through day 3 now and feeling GREAT. scared but i read a really good book and the author gave some really handy tips. i can see why d happens but i don't care... yet!just excited in general as i've alway wanted to do a triathlon but put it off. it's all go now!!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Yay for you! That's fantastic! Lol, I've suffered from D for about 12 years and never realised that that whole time I was smoking (I'd put it down to hormones bothering my IBS). Now I've been slightly C for almost 5 months like when I was a kid and before I started smoking and I wonder if that's what it was
Congratulations, you're really doing it
Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'd like to try that new drug, but when I last tried Wellbutrin it made me so nervous and I had panic attacks and it was terrible. It sounds like it does what Wellbutrin/Zyban is supposed to do... so Id like to hear more before I try it.I'm doing the patch next.

·
Registered
375 Posts
quote:Originally posted by legbuh:I'd like to try that new drug, but when I last tried Wellbutrin it made me so nervous and I had panic attacks and it was terrible. It sounds like it does what Wellbutrin/Zyban is supposed to do... so Id like to hear more before I try it.I'm doing the patch next.
Its actually nothing like Wellbutrin. Wellbutrin is an anti-depressant. Just so happens they noticed many people who were taking it also stopped smoking. Nifty side effect I guess. So they started marketing Zyban.Chantix acts at sites in the brain affected by nicotine and may help those who wish to give up smoking in two ways: by providing some nicotine effects to ease the withdrawal symptoms and by blocking the effects of nicotine from cigarettes if they resume smoking.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i'm actually quite amazed at my efforts and am very confident about not smoking again.i do see a link between smoking and ibs in my case. some weekends i would go to the loo after every cigarette just about. not so much during the week as i didn't smoke that much at work.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Something I found great was my quit meter. It measures how long I've not smoked for, most importantly how many smokes I've not smoked (and trust me it's getting up there, when I want one I look at how many I haven't had and it's disgusting!), how much money I've saved (don't know where any of that went!) etc. You can get them at http://www.silkquit.org/sqmmiv/Default.aspx They're pretty good at keeping you motivated

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
starting to notice a bit of d kicking in after 5 days on patches. i don't care at the moment though - feel very happy. bit of insomnia too.does anyone know if it's hard to quit patches? i told a few people i had given up for 5 days and they said great - then i said i'm on patches and they acted like it wasn't such a great achievement... i beginning to wonder whether i'll get addicted to patches!!!!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Yeah, I heard that too. I was on the patches for 5 days in total. I gave them up after that, for me I felt like I was just in a constant state of withdrawal and I wanted it all over and done with so I could concentrate on the mental and emotional cravings instead of the physical one's. I went through 2 more days of withdrawal but they weren't as bad as had I never been on the patches. It will be hard when the time comes as it will still be a step down from where you are at at that time in the program. It won't be impossible though cause it's only a fairly small amount of nicotine by that time. Maybe keep some nicotine gum on hand for any really tough times. As long as you expect some sort of withdrawal and have ways to deal with it you'll be fine

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.