Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was prescribed Ranitidine recently, the Dr. believes that I am making too much acid in my stomach, giving me more grief on top of my ibs - D. I was wondering If anyone knows if Ranitidine is the same as Zantac? and how did it work, or were there any side effects to report?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Ranitidine is the generic Zantac. I've been takibg it for over 5 years with no ill effects at all.Ranitidine is an H2 blocker, which means it prevents the production of stomach acid. Even though people's stomachs are highly acidic environments, my docs have assured me that the acid is really not necessary for proper digestion. Our digestive enzymes and mechanical action handle this quite well.There are newer drugs for reducing stomach acid referred to as proton pump inhibitors. Brand names include Nexium and Prilosec. I've tried these but they don't do any better than Ranitidine. Ranitidine has also been around longer and has very safe track record.Before I started taking it, I needed 1 or 2 rolls of tums or rolaids to make it through a typical day. I couldn't understand why people ate salads and other vegetables since the mere sight of them would make me want to pop a tums. A salad would give me indigestion for hours. Since taking Ranitidine, everything has changed. Salads are good, vegetables are good, acidic foods are good and I've never had any side effects. And no more tums!Unfortunately, managing IBS is like peeling an onion. The acid problem was only one layer. Other layers need to be peeledd with other methods.Good luck!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Ranitidine is the generic Zantac. I've been takibg it for over 5 years with no ill effects at all.Ranitidine is an H2 blocker, which means it prevents the production of stomach acid. Even though people's stomachs are highly acidic environments, my docs have assured me that the acid is really not necessary for proper digestion. Our digestive enzymes and mechanical action handle this quite well.There are newer drugs for reducing stomach acid referred to as proton pump inhibitors. Brand names include Nexium and Prilosec. I've tried these but they don't do any better than Ranitidine. Ranitidine has also been around longer and has very safe track record.Before I started taking it, I needed 1 or 2 rolls of tums or rolaids to make it through a typical day. I couldn't understand why people ate salads and other vegetables since the mere sight of them would make me want to pop a tums. A salad would give me indigestion for hours. Since taking Ranitidine, everything has changed. Salads are good, vegetables are good, acidic foods are good and I've never had any side effects. And no more tums!Unfortunately, managing IBS is like peeling an onion. The acid problem was only one layer. Other layers need to be peeledd with other methods.Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.