Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last time I visited the doctor she said it sounds like I have this condition. I didn't really know anything about it, but now that I've read a bit about it I am sure that is a big part of what is going on. From how I understand it, basically your stomach thinks what you are eating is a poison and dumps it out before your body can absorb the toxins. There is a more detailed description of it here. Does anyone else have this condition and if so would you mind discussing how you deal with it? What medications have you tried? What has worked, what hasn't? Are there any clues to what caused it (besides having some form of stomach surgery which I haven't had).

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:she said it sounds like I have this condition.
How did she determine this?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I would guess that it is based on a combination of the description of my symptoms and the tests that I've had done. Why? Is there a specific test for this or some red flag that says positively that's what is going on?I do have all the symptoms of it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
it says this is only something seen in patients who've undergone gastric surgery... actually I've heard alot about this as being a side effect of gastric bypass surgery..."diagnosed based on typical symptoms in patients who have undergone gastric surgery"have you had gastric surgery? If not... then this is not what's going on with you.Kate

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you do a search and read some of the other articles present it isn't always a result of stomach surgery. Yes, surgery is the most common cause. My doctor is better than to suggest I have a disease that would be impossible for me to have. I was actually looking for replies from other people on the board who may have this condition and was not looking to hear from all the skeptics who want me to defend my comments. However if you would like me to defend my comments I will.First of all, I think it is pretty safe to say that what all of us are dealing with is an unknown problem to our digestive system. It is called IBS because the doctors have not been able to find a cause of the trouble. Obviously by the wide variety of symptoms/triggers that people have, it would also be safe to assume that there is likely more than one cause. We are in reality dealing with an unknown disease which the medical community has not figured out. If we are to cure our disease we are going to have to start thinking outside the box and looking for more bizarre explanations. Until the medical world starts doing that we will not find any answers beyond a slew of ineffective drugs with nasty side-effects! Second as for me having this condition, it was a suggestion. After reading about it the symptoms fit like a glove. Does that mean that is 100% for sure what I have? No. That is why I originally asked my question - to see if I could get more insight from people on this board. Also, as for the surgery relationship with the disease, I had a definite change in symptoms after having a hysterectomy. Who is to say that during that surgery the stomach wasn't damaged? I came to this board because I had thought I might be able to learn a little more about this disease and treatments. I am looking for some answers. Obviously I came to the wrong place.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Symptoms are:-nausea-heart palpitations shortly after eating (mostly bothersome at lunch)-fatigue after eating - this is really intense. If I'm driving I have to stop and pull over. Can't concentrate, etc. If at home I have to just sit quietly or go lie down for an hour or so. -feeling faint-feel full quickly-bloating-abdominal cramps-stomach rumbling followed shortly by -diarrhea (within 1 hour of eating)-headaches-feel like I have a fever but I don't-also get hungry after eating occassionally.Tests I've had done (and I'm not going to list each individual test because there are too many):colonoscopy, endoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, barium enema and swallow, gastroscopy, ct scan, mri, all kinds of blood and stool tests. About the only thing I haven't been tested for is food intolerances, because everyone says it isn't necessary and won't help. (I may push to have them done anyway if I learn they may be beneficial.)Abnormalities: low albiumin, elevated IgA antibodies (IgG negative), elevated c-reactive protein, really low ferritin, low potassium, fluid in my pelvis, low am cortisol.As I've mentioned elsewhere I've seen some pretty good doctors. I had a complete workup done at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale in May. So now you've asked the questions how about a comment?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I don't see what led to this diagnosis.You did not indicate whetther you had a gastric emptying scan or that your gastrin levels were normal.
quote:low albiumin, elevated IgA antibodies (IgG negative), elevated c-reactive protein, really low ferritin, low potassium, fluid in my pelvis, low am cortisol.
IBS certainly cannot cause abnormal results. However, I don't see dumping causing these findings either. It sounds like there is some inflammatory process going on with secondary anemia. I wonder if you had biopsies done at endoscopy and colonoscopy and whether you had an enteroclysis and an arteriogram. Do you know if they looked at the blood cells?
quote: I had a complete workup done at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale in May.
Did you see Kevin Olden?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.