Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few months I have noticed that when the urge comes to go, I suffer from a rapid heart beat. Now I am IBS-C. I know it sounds like anxiety, but when the heart rate starts in, I don't feel anxious. Its a strange feeling. Anybody else experience this too? Or is it just me. Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
gottogo,My IBS caused my heart to palpitate, and high blood pressure, plus a modest increase in rate. Profound effect after eating a large meal, esp breakfast, and my heart felt like it was about to leap out of my chest. My doc put me on HBP meds. How creative.I'm from Gastonia, which sounds like an intestinal disorder in itself. Probably what doomed me to IBS for years.

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
i get palpatations too, and at times my heart feels all kinda fluttery.I get plagued with severe heartburn and ive always blamed that for these palpatations, im seeing the doc on wed and im not sure if i should mention this.

·
Registered
126 Posts
quote:Originally posted by gottogo:For the past few months I have noticed that when the urge comes to go, I suffer from a rapid heart beat. Now I am IBS-C. I know it sounds like anxiety, but when the heart rate starts in, I don't feel anxious. Its a strange feeling. Anybody else experience this too? Or is it just me. Thanks
I'm dealing with the same thing right now, but when my pulse increases, I do feel anxiety kicking in. I'm also IBS-C, and I've had two major flare-ups since last Thursday. I couldn't sleep last night because my pulse was racing. I've been very gassy lately and, when that gas gets trapped, I end up with the same feelings of racing pulse and near-panic. You're lucky if you're not feeling anxious... I'm envious!

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
FYI"The Autonomic Nervous System. The organs (the "viscera") of our body, such as the heart, stomach and intestines, are regulated by a part of the nervous system called the autonomic nervous system (ANS)."http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/auto.htmlA person might also get chest contractions in the esphogus that may feel like heart problems.Called non cardiac chest pains.Heart issues should always be checked out by a doctor however.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Its also really worth reading thisFYIwith permissionIBS Beyond the Bowel:The Meaning of Co-existing Medical ProblemsOlafur S. Palsson, Psy.D. and William E. Whitehead, Ph.D.UNC Center for Functional GI & Motility DisordersTable 1. Non-gastrointestinal symptoms more common in irritable bowel syndromepatients than in comparison groups(5).1. Headache2. Dizziness3. Heart palpitations or racing heart4. Back pain5. Shortness of breath6. Muscle ache7. Frequent urinating8. Difficulty urinating9. Sensitivity to heat or cold10. Constant tiredness11. Pain during intercourse (sex)12. Trembling hands13. Sleeping difficulties14. Bad breath/unpleasant taste inmouth15. Grinding your teeth16. Jaw pain17. Flushing of your face and neck18. Dry mouth19. Weak or wobbly legs20. Scratchy throat21. Tightness or pressure in chest22. Low sex drive23. Poor appetite24. Eye pain25. Stiff muscles26. Eye twitchinghttp://ibsgroup.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/712...610974#86610974

·
Registered
461 Posts
I had the same rapid beats. Ended up getting a stress test and showed I had mitral valve prolapse. After heart monitor wearing for a month I taped my episodes on machine, phoned it in and they found I had supraventricular tachycardia. Nothing serious but could either put up with it, take medicine the rest of my life or go to Hershey, PA(chocolate) and they performed an electrical physiological study on heart and through a catheter zapped the misfiring nervees inside my heart. Sounds scary, but it really was nothing.My advice, get checked by a heart doctor, just to be safe.Also, once you look up mitral valve prolapse, funny how IBS and that have some similar symptoms.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I am newly diagnosed with IBS and I suffer from rapid heartbeat also. My doctor put me on generic Atenolol, a very low dose. It has helped greatly. If all else fails you might give it a try.

·
Registered
544 Posts
A fer weeks ago I was scheduled for a colonoscopy. the night before the scope I did the phosphate soda prep and had a weird reaction. I was so nervous prior to the prep I had 3 trips to toilet, then drank the prep and no bowel movements at all. about 5 hrs later was sipping tea my heart started to race. felt it in my whole body. I took my bp it was 188/95 I had a few trips to toilet but not much. I called the gi doc in the morning and cancelled since I felt sick (sweating, weak) The doc didn't take it seriously! he said next time we'll try the pills. It freaked me out. Now I am scared of the prep.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.