Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with the agriculture guy for the district where I get this rash. He thinks my 'ibs (curing?) rash plant' is one of the following, in the order of suspectibility:1. ivy: he says there is a strain of poison ivy that is prolific only in this area. I've had poison ivy before, but never needed drugs to get rid of it, and it spread to areas that were not exposed to the plant, so this is clearly different stuff. 2. poison oak: maybe, and he'll mail the plant anyway. Not as common in the area as #1.3. spurge: there is very little in the area. Also, you have to expose yourself to the milky sap inside the plant, not the leaves. Therefore, highly unlikely I got a spurge rash. Illegal in Colorado to sell, transport, etc. (I won't venture in this.)I will get #1 & #2 in the mail from this guy. I will expose my skin to both, and see if a similar rash develops. If so, and I verify the plant as the culprit, then what? Any ideas?Note: my IBS is still gone, gone, gone...I feel like someone put me on a happy pill, and I just ate lunch to boot. (I wish everyone could feel like this.)

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
"Urushiol Oil: Evil and PersistentUrushiol oil, the active ingredient in poison ivy and poison oak, is "one of the most potent external toxins we know," says William L. Epstein, M.D. "The amount needed to cause a rash in very sensitive people is measured in nanograms, and it could take as little as 1 nanogram. But most sensitive people will react in the 100-nanogram range." Consider that a nanogram is a mere billionth of a gram; that means it would take less than 1/4 ounce of urushiol to cause a rash in every person on earth. Five hundred people could itch from the amount covering the head of a pin."The Toxicodendrons:poison Ivy, Poison Oak and Poison Sumachttp://nac.tamu.edu/x075bb/caddo/frameidx.html
Poison Oak
poison summac
and what about devils club?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Wow... that's quite impressive that you'd be willing to go through that again...I still say it was the anti-inflammitory. I'm still on my aspirin trials and it's working wonderfully. I've also found that 1 81mg aspirin works better than 1 200mg advil, so I no longer take the advil.. just the aspirin.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eric: I will match plant(s) with the pics when I get them. What I don't get is this rash is way more prolific than any other poison ivy I've gotten. It was taking over my body.Legbuh: I think it was the anti-inflam also, but my doc refuses to think that.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Poinson Ivy is dose dependent and spreads when you icth, of course so is poison oak. But IVY more so. This would be consistent with poison IVY really and spreading.I am mildly allergic to it. The blister look like clear bubbles and ooze and the oozing spreads it more.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Dro, Just realised the IBASICOL ad at the top of the page has a monarch butterfly on it. The caterpillars are cream with black & yellow stripes (to memory ) so watch out for them on any plants near you. There is also the beautiful RHUS tree which some people are very allergic to. It has lovely pink to red leaves & is very decorative.The Australian GREVILLEA of which are over 300 in the genus has certain varieties allergic to some people 'ROBYN GORDON' in particular affects some people. Intricate plumes of red flowers, & dark serrated stiff leaves. Mat be a popular exotic in Colorado as they take the heat.

·
Registered
556 Posts
quote:Originally posted by dro:Eric: I will match plant(s) with the pics when I get them. What I don't get is this rash is way more prolific than any other poison ivy I've gotten. It was taking over my body.Legbuh: I think it was the anti-inflam also, but my doc refuses to think that.
Well, from my experiences a lot of docs don't know squat. They may be book smart... but...
And, if they did find a cure, they wouldn't make any more money. They just keep repeating the same stuff over and over about Rome Criteria, brain-gut, etc.. etc... KISS is my motto.... It's nice someone lucked out to find a "cure", even if temporary, that explains, in my mind, one of the causes of IBS (inflammation of the bowels).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.