Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been diagnosed with IBS w/D after several test came negative and my GI put me on Lotronex . This gave me more gas, bloating and cramps so he added Robinul Forte and decreased the dose of Lotronex to 1/2 mg once a day. The only change I noticed was that my BM became semi formed and less frequent, but I'm still bloated and esp. at night my stomach churns all night long,I feel lot of pressure until I have BM in the morning.I was hoping that Lotronex will take care of these symptoms, but it seems they are worse.I've been taking it only for one week and I wonder if this normal reaction ... Does anyone have similar experience or advise?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Ewa,I have never taken Lotronex but I have been around this board long enough that I think I can answer your question. Stick with the drug. Many people have reported feeling worse (particularly with regard to gas, cramps, etc.) before they get better, many experiencing miraculous improvements. I don't want to get your hopes up, but stick with the drug a few weeks by all means before giving up on it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I take Lotronex also and also complained of gas to my GI doc. He said to eat yogurt. It seemed that I tried that before but I have been eating it and I really do think my gas is much much less. Give the Lotronex more time, but if you get constipated or see blood go to your doc. When I first started Lotronex the first time (before it was taken off the market) I figured out you have to get your body used to this med by introducing it slowly. 1/2 mg/day and then if you need more try adding another 1/2 mg/day but 8-12 hrs. later. I now take 1/2 mg in the morning and 1/2 mg in the evening and sometimes I need 1/2 mg in the afternoon. This is all with my doc's consent and figured out over many months. So give it some time and try the yogurt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the words of encouragement.My bloating and gas seem to be a little better after I've been following a low fiber diet for a while, but my BM is still very loose and sometimes several times a day. I also pass a lot of gas prior to all BMs. I stopped taking the Robinul Forte after the abdominal cramps eased up but today I was cramping up really bad all morning and taking the Robinul didn't seem to help. I can't figure out what food is triggering my symptoms.I'm scheduled for a "bacterial overgrowth in the stomach" test next week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.