Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed with IBS-D three years ago after a sudden onset diarrhea. The last year, I have been having pain under my right ribs just at the lower edge of the right rib cage, along the edge of ribs on the rights side. My pain is sometimes dull and sometimes stabbing. When making a sudden move like twisting towards back or if I bend sideways to the right, I sometimes get a stabbing pain unexpectedly. At times, it feels as if there is something under my ribs. Often my entire upper right quadrant is sore as if I had a bruise from something that hit me. Sometimes I can localize the pain at a specific spot, right at the edge of my right ribs sometimes it is more diffuse but still in the general area. It almost feels as if there is a tumor growing in the area. These sypmtoms have been so relentless and so specific that I was convinced that there was something wrong, perhaps with the liver, biliary ducts or gallbladder or even the head of the pancreas. However, my recent MRI came up normal. The reason I am posting this is to let others who have similar symptoms know that despite the unmistakable, persistent, very specific and localizable pain in that area there may be nothing serially wrong with you. I know that I am not imagining my symptoms. This pain may be due to subclinical low grade inflammation of the large bowel at the hepatic flexure extending towards the right side of the traverse column or a low grade inflamation due to a lingering infection of the large bowel or the Sphincter of Oddi (check out Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction). Subclinical inflammation does not show up in MRI or even colonoscopies and pill endoscopy. If you are having similar systems don't assume the worse automatically but go get yourself checked. As a side note coffee aggravated my symptoms. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask me any questions about my symptoms. Wishing you all the best.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have you noticed an increase of abdominal noises (borborygmi) in the affected area?

If so, is there a moment our a specific position that seem to increase them?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps a slight increase in abdominal noises but nothing major. Bending towards the left side in a way that stretches the right side increases my pain. If I press down in the area it feels sore. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had 2 colonoscopy's when I had abdominal pain because thats where the GI said my pain was located. Both were "normal". I finally had an endoscopy and it showed some very mild irritation in the stomach but was also considered normal. I have had that pain many times before and my docs do think it's from the colon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi German,

Sounds similar to my experience: I had a colonoscopy, a pill endescopy, a CT scan, two MRIs, many blood tests and despite the pain everything came normal. They found a mild irritation in stomach as well but that is very common. One should never assume it is nothing if there is persistent pain over a long period of time. It is best to get it checked and if it all comes as clear then we need to learn to live the pain and not worry. Wishing you the best.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My guess is this is likely caused by gas trapped in either the hepatic or splenic flexure.

I'm not officially diagnosed for IBS, and I'm still waiting to get tested (waiting list for a colonoscopy)..

·
Registered
58 Posts
OH MY GOD! I can not believe I came upon this post! I have the exact same thing... I have not had my liver tested very recently but the last I had this, it was normal. And all blood tests (they did all the liver tests, very specific ones) came up normal too... I keep trying to think what in the world could it be?? I thought stones, but it does not add up, then today I really started thinking stomach ulcer, but that does not add up too...

The pain is releieved a bit if I sort of massage the area with specific pressure points which makes me think trapped gas... but how long can gas stay trapped there? If I stand up doing the dishes for example, it annoys me as if I have a coat hanger in there... I even thought about ligament pain, but it really seems digestive..

I know the colon goes that high, but it's like I cant imagine it could just be the IBS, all though part of me "knows" it probably is...

Gen

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

I have had some horrible symptoms like most here. My story goes like this:

I am 36.I was fine like most, had a stressful life, drank too much beer and smoked a bit. One day after eating a sandwich i felt ill. Next day i felt ill too. After a week, went to the doc, he did some blood tests and did a small ultrasound, noticed gas. Gave me some meds and sent me on my way. 2 months later i was back there, same thing, pain this time was dull in lower left and stabbing in right side. More meds, and de-worming tabs, as i said i had itching on my abdomen area an on my anus.

felt a bit better. 3 months later, i woke up one morning feeling very bloated and had the pains. My bowel movements were very irregular. Went to see the doc, got meds, but things never got better. I had lost a bit of weight and feared the worst. I went for a colonoscopy and gastrocopy. All were apparently fine. But i was feeling worse than ever. went to see another Gi doctor, he said i had IBS and also ran some blood test. I had another Ultrasound. Nothing. I then asked for a CT scan, and they found that part of my colon was not sitting properly, like my appendix, instead of being on the right, is sitting now more mid section. Had a barium enema, no blockages were found. I went through tremendous stress of this all happening and was running my own little business at the time

I also had two chest infections.

My muscles became crampy on a daily basis to a point that walking around just a bit made my legs quite sore.

I have had a lot more pain in my upper right under ribs, and thought maybe something was wrong with my gallbladder, liver, or pancreas. But all bloods tests for liver and pancreas are fine. CBC is fine. the only test that was not fine was low vitamin D.

Went to another GI doc recently, after he looked at my previous tests he said that it was Just IBS. But will schedule another colonoscopy and gastrocope.

I've always been under the impression this was some sort of tumor, due to my weight loss. I have been depressed and anxious about this for a while.Its been going on for about a year now.

I hope that this isnt something horrible, but i think this could just be IBS and SIBO, because i had been taking a PPI for heartburn for about 7 years.

It does relieve me to read that people get the same pains.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mrmince, I am sorry to hear that you are having similar problems. If your CT Scan and other medical tests are clear then chances are it is nothing to worry about. With the slight anatomical problem you mentioned it could be related to some transport problems at the hepatic bend of the colon. My symptoms completely resolved after I received a clean report from my MR exam. This type of pain may be related to emotional stress. But at the time my pain was unmistakable. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So glad I happened upon this! I had my gallbladder out 4 years ago. Everything was perfect until this past October. It started with nausea, diarrhea, fever and chills for one day, then the exact same feeling of something shoved up under my right ribcage that led me to the gallbladder (which was first misdiagnosed as an ulcer). Discomfort under RUQ radiating to back and up shoulder blade. It progressed for a couple of weeks till I literally thought I would die. Went to an MD who told me it was an ulcer (seriously! !) And sent me home with Nexium, by the end of the 30 day prescription I was "better" with more good days than bad. I finished the Nexium and the symptoms came back. Called the MD he called in Omeprazole which didnt b seem to help...... here I am 4 months later, pain is still here everyday. Coffee seems to irritate it, it is worse upon waking. It is relieved sometimes by passing gas. I take Somethicone (gas ex), zantac, and Tums daily, I ordered Buscopan(antispasmodic) from Europe on Amazon because I read it might help. It is all hit or miss..... sometimes it feels like the skin over the bottom right rib has a deep burning itch. I am 35 f. I b have an apt with a Gastrointestinal MD in a week and i am terrified of what i have and what tests they will run me. It's good to know I am not alone! !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also, I had an ultrasound of my liver and pancreas done in October and it was normal as was the blood work (although one liver enzyme was elevated 4 points, the Dr said that was nothing to worry about)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Scrram: You are not alone and serious pain in that area does not automatically point to a serious medical problem. However, I am glad that you are following up with medical exams. That is the right thing to do. When you visit your doctor ask him about spasm of the the main bile duct and also Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. Other possible reasons for your pain could be a subclinical infection or motility problems at the Hepatic Flexture none of which is life threatening. Also, some individuals are able to induce pain at a given location if they worry about a serious problem at a specific part of their anatomy. I think these individuals may subconsiously reduce blood flow to the region of concern or spam the area creating real pain. I believe that the digestive system is most vulnerable to such effect. Self induced ischemia in the Hepatic Flexture of the large intestine could reduce motility creating pain. I am not a doctor, I am an engineer and a scientist by profession. So, please keep that in mind and ask your doctor about these possibilities. But most doctors get irritated with such inquiries. But don't be deterred. At the end of the day, ultimately each of us are responsible for our own health. Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not sure if my pain relates to that or not. I have had chronic low back pain for years. I can deal with that. The thing that I'm not sure about is, when I turn my head to the sharp left like I'm trying to look over my shoulder, I feel it pulling my ribs (more from the back than the front) on the right side or if I stretch my right arm across my chest like I'm reaching for something, it pulls on the rib on the right. Now, if I stretch my left arm across my chest like I'm reaching for something I can feel it on the right side but not as much.

I do have neck issues too meaning, if I look down with my chin towards the chest, it pulls on my back but the specific area that pulls on my right sided ribs is whats puzzling me. I'm not sure what kind of Dr to see for that and I don't want to start with a primary care only to keep getting referred some where else. I had a blood work up done back in September 2013 and all was fine. I guess my question is, if it was something with liver or pancreas would something be out of whack on my blood tests such as white or red count being off?

I had a colonoscopy done last November and everything was fine. The only thing that the Dr mentioned was that they had to apply moderate pressure on my abdomen to get either the camera through or to see the pictures because it was slightly thickened in that area. The findings were that muscle wall hypertrophy was found in the sigmoid colon. It just seems ever since the colonoscopy, I have either had trapped gas on the right side and/or the chronic rib/back pain which may be different issues.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LCE1: I had noticed that twisting my body (as in turning my upper body to the right to back up when driving) unmistakably triggered pain in my mid right abdomen. It felt sore and I felt a slight stabbing pain at times with such a move. The fact that you have a clear colonoscopy is good news. The point in all my postings is that these symptoms do not necessarily indicate a life threading medical problem. But the symptoms feel very serious. Having said that, each patient is different and it is best not to ignore any symptoms instead have them checked by a gastroentrologist. I hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I can identify to most of the posts on here. Some describe exactly how I am affected! I suffer terribly from IBS, it's so bad I have been prescribed buscopan, codeine & loperamide. These last few months especially I've been having a stabbing pain under my right rib cage, sometimes it feels like I've been beaten up on my right rib cage and if I turn my body in a certain way it can bring on a sharp pain that is agony! also eat a meal out or drink a couple of glasses of wine for example I wake up in the night in agony. The doctor has prescribed omeprazole and puts everything down to stress I am also on propanalol & diazepam oh and the latest one pregabalin .. I've been diagnosed with ongoing anxiety & panic disorder a few years ago understandably due to my daughters poor health (she has a very rare syndrome ) and life is a real struggle to keep my her well so she goes to our local hospice on occasion so I can have a break and recharge my batteries.. It's got to the point now where I'm finding that time is spent mostly in bed sipping water - I don't like having a drink and a meal out causes not only ibs but this pain which keeps me awake at night + I suffer heart burn. I'm worrying it's something sinister which is probably making it worse. It's hard to get an appointment with a gastroenterologist especially when the doctor insists it's all down to anxiety. I'm fit and healthy and I'm only 43yrs old, I feel about 90, maybe older when I feel I've had a punch in the ribs!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Neetz. You are describing the same pain I was experiencing under my right ribs where ribs end. I was also prescribed loperamide and diazepam which made my IBS worse. If you had the endoscopic and other imagining tests done along with blood work and they all came clear try to relax and stop worrying about the pain knowing that others also had this pain and that it was not life threatening. I am not a doctor so I can not give you any medical advise. But I think that some among us including myself can cause mild ischemia or spasm at will by concentrating our fears and worries at a specific segment of our body. That in turn, may cause some real clinical symptoms. Try letting go of your fears and imagine nourishing-blood flowing into the problem area to heal it and try to visualize it as vividly as your imagination allows. You may find it beneficial. Let us know if this works for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Zhr, I totally understand what you're saying, finding this forum has made me more reassured that I've not got anything sinister, it's just frustrating because when you go to the GP he starts to write out a prescription without putting a stethoscope to my chest, that's how it is now for many ppl in the UK, you are on a time slot of 3 minutes most places..I'm using visualisation techniques to relax just recently. It really helps and I've also joined a Carers group last week .I've had bloods done 6 months ago..a full m.o.t and everything apart from cholesterol is normal. If I could go out and not worry about where the loo and these pains in the ribs went along with this painful ibs I would be a happy woman. Take care

·
Registered
2 Posts
So glad I happened upon this! I had my gallbladder out 4 years ago. Everything was perfect until this past October. It started with nausea, diarrhea, fever and chills for one day, then the exact same feeling of something shoved up under my right ribcage that led me to the gallbladder (which was first misdiagnosed as an ulcer). Discomfort under RUQ radiating to back and up shoulder blade. It progressed for a couple of weeks till I literally thought I would die. Went to an MD who told me it was an ulcer (seriously! !) And sent me home with Nexium, by the end of the 30 day prescription I was "better" with more good days than bad. I finished the Nexium and the symptoms came back. Called the MD he called in Omeprazole which didnt b seem to help...... here I am 4 months later, pain is still here everyday. Coffee seems to irritate it, it is worse upon waking. It is relieved sometimes by passing gas. I take Somethicone (gas ex), zantac, and Tums daily, I ordered Buscopan(antispasmodic) from Europe on Amazon because I read it might help. It is all hit or miss..... sometimes it feels like the skin over the bottom right rib has a deep burning itch. I am 35 f. I b have an apt with a Gastrointestinal MD in a week and i am terrified of what i have and what tests they will run me. It's good to know I am not alone! !
what were the findings of your gastrointestinal apt? Ive been experiencing the exact same prblems as you and can't figure out whats wrong.

1 - 20 of 198 Posts