Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
181 - 198 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,

I had pain under my right ribs. Slowing radiating towards upper rib cage. I had constant pain around Navel area. Some amount of bloating.

I went through Endoscopy, Ultrasound and CT. Nothing is found. I was given omeprazole. That did not help. Another doctor prescribed

antibiotic. Nothing helped me. I was about to be scheduled for colonoscopy, but did not go for it yet.

But finally I think I found relief with probiotics. I have been using for last month and half. Almost all of my

symptoms have disappeared. Just wanted to share the info.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I get unusual catching pains, I head to my acupuncturist and often that is sufficient to rebalance the strained muscles that are causing it. I hope yours is something equally simple to remedy.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Hi Guys,
I had pain under my right ribs. Slowing radiating towards upper rib cage. I had constant pain around Navel area. Some amount of bloating.
I went through Endoscopy, Ultrasound and CT. Nothing is found. I was given omeprazole. That did not help. Another doctor prescribed
antibiotic. Nothing helped me. I was about to be scheduled for colonoscopy, but did not go for it yet.
But finally I think I found relief with probiotics. I have been using for last month and half. Almost all of my
symptoms have disappeared. Just wanted to share the info.
Which probiotics?

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK, just joined this forum after finding the topic on web search.

I do not have IBS, nor do I have a gallbladder (removed 10 years ago) but wanted to tell you a few things I've learned.

I have diverticulosis, and didn't know I had it until I got really sick, weak, my stomach literally grew hard and bloated, and I had severe liquid bms. Finally a CT scan showed a large abcess on one of the pouches, which was aspirated etc and 4 days in hospital w/IV antibiotics.

But the thing I wanted to say was, for months I had a pain in my right shoulder at the top and sometimes in the front of the shoulder, like a muscle pain. I also had a low backache on the right side. If I pressed on the back on the right side, the pain kind of moved into the front of my abdomen. So, this is another good lesson about "referred pain", which can be pain felt elsewhere, often far from the site that's affected. Right shoulder is a dead giveaway for certain abdominal conditions, also lungs.

I now have a severe pain that comes and goes wraps around my right ribs, pinches and burns, and is also occasionally on my upper abdomen-about 2 inches to the right off my navel and up 2 or 3 more inches toward the chest. I did NOT have this until the last two doses of my medicine for rheumatoid arthritis. (Methotrexate)

It is like a chemo in small doses, and hard on liver etc. so I am of the belief it either affected my liver or pancreas. It is slightly better 1 week after the worst attack/taking the med. My dr sent me for a lung xray (fine) and pancreas enzymes (lipase elevated 3 pts-- normal 13-60, mine 63) I found out this small elevation can't be pancreatitis, but often means IBS whenever slightly elevated like this. It can also show an ulcer at this slight elevation. I'd just had bloodwork and liver enzymes were normal. The doc said not to take my med for a week.

I do not have any other symptoms of IBS, so am wondering if somehow an ulcer happened, or maybe even a small ulcer got bigger etc. No idea. I'll give it another week and if not gone, will go for more testing. I also noticed mine is not as "sharp" and settles into an occasional dull ache feeling, when I eat something. This is classic ulcer symptoms, according to all sources.

So, good luck to all, and keep in mind possible "referred pain"-do a search on it--they have charts showing where this kind of pain shows up for various innards hurting. Right shoulder is classic for guts or gall bladder acting up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone have any updates on this malady? I have had this condition for 1.5 years, had blood tests, abdominal ultrasound, abdominal CT and colonoscopy done. All came back clear, but the pain is still there and my doctors do not know what may be causing it. I tried probiotics, curcumine, milk thistle to no avail. While this pain does not interfere with my daily activities, it does become annoying at times, and causes anxiety.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Please look into Trigger Point Therapy and referred pain. A lot of trigger points can mimic other symptoms such as you describe. Right rib pain can be relieved! Google search "trigger point therapy right rib refer pain" or "Iliocostalis Thoracis Trigger Point" and read up on it. Then look at Youtube videos to see how to fix yourself. I have had the same right rib pain since September 2015 and I am just now finding relief! Been to the ER 3 times and each time all my tests came back normal every time but the pain persisted. Good luck to you!
It's been a while since my last post and this seems to be the closest thing to a solution.

I studied abroad for 6 months and exercised heavily.

After hitting the gym for a month or two, the pain subsided and didn't bother me as much anymore.

Especially side abs and core exercises seemed to help, the pain would be very bad for 2-3 days in the same area and disappear after.

I have anterior pelvic tilt and forward hanging shoulders, so my posture is very poor.

At some point, I had lots of pain in my right back, like between my spine and right shoulder blade, pretty sure it was related.

The gym helped fix this issue to a certain stage, this could also be a very important factor in feeling less pain.

Now I broke my leg 5 months ago and haven't exercised since, the pain is increasingly more prominent.

Especially when driving a car, it's bothering me enormously.

So I believe it is indeed a muscle problem caused by various factors.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
That's very interesting Huddle. Thanks for sharing what has worked for you. It makes a lot of sense.

Dr. Sarno recommended exercise for back pain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I've had this problem ongoing for nearly three years and have been following this thread for some time. I have many of the same symptoms and have had lots of tests(gastroscopy etc) with no real diagnosis. I've signed up to this forum to let everyone know I've had great results and am pretty much cured of my symptoms from taking high doses of L-Glutamine daily. 20g+. Many people use it successfully for the treatment of 'leaky gut' and there is plenty of info online. If anyone gives it a try, please let me know if your results as I'm feeling so much better for the first time in years! Hopefully this helps some of you out who have been in the same boat...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found an interesting article about Thoracic neuralgia. Apparenty we have nerves from the back that thread through the ribs, if you have had back problems or sit for long periods of time these nerves become pinched and cause rib pain. My right rib pain seems to be worse when I am sitting, walking it doesnt bother me. My doctor said reflux/ibs put me on lansoprazole which made me feel worse, so I stopped taking them. Had this pain for 4 months now, really gets me down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
yesterday marked three years since I started feeling this pain. Still have no answers after numerous ultrasounds, a CT scan, two colonoscopies, gastroscopy and blood tests. I've learned to live with it, just happy to know that it's not something life-threatening.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know that I am reviving an old thread...

Has anybody ever had a meaningful diagnosis or relief from this issue? I have had this type of pain for about 4 years now. Upper right abdomen, sharp burning pains just underneath the ribs. The pain appears to be right along the top part of my liver if I am reading online pictures of our organs correctly. For me my biggest triggers are caffeine, alcohol, and just about any drink that is acidic. If I lay off of those items for a week or 2 the sharp pains go away, but I can still feel something "there". Like most I have done multiple gastro visits, endoscopies, CT scans, x rays, bloodwork - you name it. I even thought that I would go see doctors that are perceived to be the best at the Mayo clinic. Even though they were the most thorough I still have zero answers.

Just checking in....Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, a 61 Year Old Newbie Here

I know this is an old post, but I have been having this exact thing going on for 6 years. I have had several Abdominal CT's, Ultrasounds, EGD, MRIE, Countless Labs, 3-Colonoscopies, and I just kept getting told to eat more fiber, exercise more, etc.. Doctors, family and friends began to think I was a Hypochondriac. Its a very very real debilitating pain at times and as for me, mine never totally goes away. I have better days than others, but some days I literally have to miss work over it. My last visit to the ER February 2019 they did a Abdominal CT Scan and showed mild ascending colon wall thickening (Colitis). Put me on Antibiotics, had be see a different gastrologist and had another colonoscopy April 2019 which showed nothing but my few scattered Diverticula in my Sigmoid Colon which I have known about since my first colonoscopy done in 2012, but have never given me any trouble on my left side. So that gastro dismissed the Ascending colon wall thickening with my follow up visit. Mind you that makes three Gastrologists I have seen over this since January 2014 and all the countless tests since then to date. Anyway, I have had Gallbladder/Pancreas/Liver Ultrasounds. Just so many tests and no answers. The pain sometimes is hard to localize but generally is right under the right lower rib cage about where about where the ascending colon turns into the transverse colon. It sometimes even feels like it is making my ribs/rib cage sore at that area, and up my right outer side of my ribs into my shoulder blade, shoulder and arm, but for the most part just my abdomen and when I am totally emptied out, or at least think I am it actually bothers me more, as if the pressure of the food on my small and large bowls helps in some way. I have constant bouts with constipation, then get so bloated you could pop me with a pin and finally take about 4ozs of Magnesium Citrate liquid and it will give me solid and watery bowl movements alternating until I am empty, then the cycle starts over again. I was sure I had/have colon cancer or a tumor of some sort somewhere around or in my ascending colon, but no blood shows up in my stools, the colonoscopy was supposedly good, all labs are good and all imaging is good and it has been a lot imaging and labs. Except for this last Abdominal CT Scan with IV Contrast that showed and I quote off the report:

IMPRESSION:

1. Mild wall thickening of the ascending colon. Underdistention versus
mild colitis.

2. No acute abnormalities are otherwise seen in the abdomen and

pelvis. lncidental findings as described above.

3. There are scattered colonic diverticula in the sigmoid colon noted from previous scan done on 03/19/2017.

So, this last gastrologist said I have IBS-C, but really did not elaborate on the very specific right side pain or get into IBS in general as well as all the possible symptoms. He also said he did not see mild ascending colon wall thickening? We get all these tests, see all these Doctors and get all kinds of conflicting information, but never any true diagnosis. So when I saw this post, I could not believe how the description was exactly what I was having.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Hi to everybody who has posted and replied to my original posting a long time ago. If you have symptoms similar to the ones I described in my original post and you had imaging and other tests done that have cleared you from an organic disease please consider to discuss going on a low dose tricyclic antidepressant treatment with your physician. This has nothing to do with being depressed but it did help me resolve my abdominal symptoms. It may take 3-4 weeks to see relief. The exact mechanism of action is not clear. It may have something to do with the signaling between the gut brain and main brain or perception of pain. I am not a doctor. However, If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I will be happy to share my experience with you as a patient.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone. I signed up because of this thread - absolutely dreading waiting for my results. I had all the same symptoms as you all and it was terrifying as my Mum died of pancreatic cancer at 53 (I'm 32). Just wanted to say - my bloods came back relatively normal for me, and my ultrasound came back with fatty liver (everything else normal)! So I seem to have had the same result as many of you. Going to improve my diet to sort this out but thought I'd add to the post. And also say thank you - you'll never know how comforting it was to hear I wasn't alone. All the best to you all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
Hi Yvonatron. So happy to hear that this thread has been helpful. Also, happy to hear that you are going through all the necessary medical testing to rule out any organic disease. Great to know that the results have not found anything significant. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In Oct 2018 I took 600mg aspirin for 5 days, 3 days later all hell broke loose and my life has been ruined ever since. It started with a golf ball under my right bottom rib, then came the burning, pain, gurgling bloating and gas, but worst of all was the itching. I only itched in certain strange places, the tops of my legs, belly, sides of my face and under each eyebrow. I say itching, but it was more like electrical spiders crawling over me. 15 months later I am about 60% improved. Ive spent a fortune on natural remedies, but it seems only time is working (slowly). I had an upper abdo ultrasound, with nothing of concern noted, Ive had bloods done, stool samples and the docs just come up with gastritis or an ulcer. It has literally ruined my life. I dont know if it could be a sluggish gallbladder and am considering seeing the GP tomorrow to ask them, I might also print this thread out and take it with me as Im sure the GP thinks Im mad. Thank god I am not alone. Thinking of you all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think this is what I'm experiencing as well. I only feel it when I'm siting down, bowing down etc and when I'm in bed.

Two docs say it sounds like IBS. I've tried eliminating foods and taking peppermint capsules etc etc etc. Seems to help a little. Lately I focus on deep relaxation of the body, my stomach / bowels seem really tensed all the time. After relaxing really deeply, focusing on releasing everything from the gut I seem to feel better most of the time, like all the tension just vanishes, I can hear gas or liquid move after that often as well.

And yeah coffee seems to worsen it.
After 50 years of this. And being told it was “just ibs” I finally had a diagnosis of this condition. I have atonic bowel. Doesn’t work at the right rate. Everything slow. This causes chronic constipation which backs up in the hepatic flexure which is people on this forum also seem to be getting pain. Any loose stools are overflow and you are still constipated.
Apparently hereditary. Which doesn’t help much🤣 But as consultant said it is nothing I have done.
Hope that helps someone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I'm not the only one. Whew!!
ohmy.png
I've been worried something awful was wrong. It all started about 5 years ago. Currently, I'm 43. I was in school and slouched over books a LOT. One day, I felt something "pop" in my right side when I was slouched over a desk doing homework. It didn't hurt. It was just kind of weird. When I stood up, I got the most terrible "stitch" in my side I've ever had. I think I was just seriously backed up and gassy because after that passed, I felt mostly normal again. However, I had a feeling of a walnut or golf ball sized "thing" just stuck in there on the right side. Ever since then, I've been having problems with gas, loud gurgling that I can even feel if I put my hand over it while it's happening (especially after I eat), a very uncomfortable feeling of a tennis ball (it feels larger now) lodged under my right rib cage, and discomfort/pain that I can't pinpoint. It feels like a lump when I press just under my ribs and is painful to push on. Doing that also starts the gurgling noises up again. The best way I know to describe it is that it feels like a hose is kinked. Like the food doesn't go through like it should but is slowed down by a kink or something. As for bowel movements, I tend to "back up" for a few days and then will spend most of a day "emptying". I'm not sure if this is related because I have pretty much always been like that.
blush.png

The pain and discomfort in my "stomach" (rib area) has gotten to the point where it feels like it goes all the way through to my back and I frequently have pain there as well. If I lay down and stretch that side out, if feels a bit better. I notice I lean to the left a lot when sitting or driving and such. It is too uncomfortable to lean to the right. I started a Yoga class and ended up quitting because the movements caused quite a bit of pain if I stretched too far. I know I don't have the best diet and I also drink a lot of Mt. Dew. I don't drink water. I don't want to risk an allergic reaction.
wink.png

Now, the trends I have noticed over the past few years is that if I'm "backed up", I feel seriously bloated like if someone poked me with a pin, I'd explode. Once I empty, that feeling goes away, but it seems my innards hurt more when I'm empty. Why? You'd think it would be when full of crap, but that almost feels like it cushions it in a way or something. Does that make sense? Other than the bloated feeling, it is just uncomfortable and has the feeling of a ball rammed up under my rib cage. After I spend a day of cleaning out the pipes, it feels like the hose is exhausted from pushing or something. It actually will cause pain rather than just discomfort for a day or so.

When this all started, I had so many tests done. Ultrasounds, hidascan (or however it's spelled), CT's, a scope down my throat...you name it. Everything came back normal. My doctor sent me to a gastroenterologist who after one examination of asking questions and palpating my side decided that I just needed a daily stool softener and that would take care of it. NOT. No, I didn't keep up with it, so maybe I should have. But it didn't seem to do anything to help for the few weeks I did try it.
wacko.png
So....does this sound familiar to anyone? OH...another thing is that my doctor started me on Prilosec once a day. Then bumped it up to twice a day. I've heard that while it may help with acid reflux (which I really didn't have...just felt a lot of gas, pressure, and belching) that it hinders and seriously slows down digestion. Does anyone know anything about that? I wonder how much that is contributing to the overall issue? Anyhow, any help would be much appreciated. If you are still reading this, thanks for "listening". You've got one up on any doctor I've ever been to.
After 50 years of this. And being told it was “just ibs” I finally had a diagnosis of this condition. I have atonic bowel. Doesn’t work at the right rate. Everything slow. This causes chronic constipation which backs up in the hepatic flexure which is people on this forum also seem to be getting pain. Any loose stools are overflow and you are still constipated.
Apparently hereditary. Which doesn’t help much🤣 But as consultant said it is nothing I have done.
Hope that helps someone.

181 - 198 of 198 Posts