Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi forum!

i have been suffering from intense ibs pain and symptoms for about 4 months now. i am really realizing how much of a pleasurable role food has played in my life. and of course, like most things, i did not realize this until it's now gone. i am just curious if other people have noticed this too. i really looked forward to eating and very much enjoyed the whole experience. i am still cooking for my fiancé, but it's not the same. i miss food.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I felt the same way :)

These days I just miss eating without any anxiety.

What Id give to have some safe foods to eat. I'm currently going through tests and ruling out things. It may not even be a food trigger but either way. I miss enjoying food I really enjoyed like ice cream, pizza, cereal :(

At least we're in a world where we have choices of what we can have. There are poor countries who don't even have anything to eat. I know this doesn't take away our IBS problems but sometimes helps gives a little perspective on our situations.

I just pretend the things I used to really like are horrible and nasty and I chose to give it up rather than being made to give it up. Easier to deal with that way :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yeah it's weird... I look at a candy bar, pastries, cake, all that stuff I have no interest in it, no appeal whatsoever. Now.. pizza, lasagna.. that kind of stuff I do miss, but then again seems too heavy that it is almost a turnoff as well.

I do wish I had more "safe" foods that I knew about for me but do not want to start any issues by exploring at the moment.

For some reason though a good grilled cheeseburger does not mess with me in the least, which I am SO happy about.

Otherwise only "safe" foods for me I know (weird as some may be)..

Rice -- white or fried

Milk

yogurt

oatmeal

honey (in small amount)

whey protein

lipton chicken noodle soup

chinese takeout from down the street... Mongolian Chicken with no veggies -- so I guess soy sauce

cheese burgers ( 1 only )

grilled chicken

shrimp

fish

and that's about all I know I can trust

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think people generally don't realize how important food is to them, and I don't mean just in the sense of nourishment, but in the sense of pleasure and social enjoyment, until you suddenly can't eat anything. I miss when food was actually enjoyable to me. Now I dread the fact that I have to eat. Sure it tastes good, but I hate eating when I don't know if it's actually gonna come out the other end or not hah. Food has inadvertently become my enemy because of IBS.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I miss a great big salad sandwich, split pea and ham soup, chick peas and red kidney beans,baked beans on toast etc etc. I miss enjoying a meal with my friends without peering round for the loo. Most of all I miss the spontaneity of life without all the planning involved in even just going out for a coffee.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in the middle of a huge D flare up right now, and it's hard to force myself to eat anything. I miss coffee and peanut butter and take out pizza. I'm having a hard time accepting that I can never have them without suffering.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was just diagnosed and am actually devastated at the loss of my favorite foods. I get so much comfort and joy out of eating certain foods that are now no-nos. Perhaps that's why I'm a little heavy. :) The social aspect isn't as fun - everyone is eating what they want and you are picking away at your food trying to figure out if it's going to send you to the bathroom. I'm really bitter right now - this is very new to me and it's slowly starting to sink in. My relationship with food is extremely emotional and it has changed drastically. I just made an appointment to see my shrink!

Nancy

·
Registered
4 Posts
I AGREE with everyone!

I so miss the food I used to eat.

I am 7 weeks into the fodmap diet-very restrictive!

A side bar-I have lost 15 pounds, on a small frame- with this diet.

I still feel bloated-and have the belly to prove it! I long for some of

my favourite foods but the consequences of eating it deter me.

I have recently been out for dinner (afraid to before this), and ordered

a steak (with salt/pepper only) and a salad-I survived it! It is challenging

to eat on the fodmap diet and a bit boring.

·
Registered
9 Posts
its really hard .. i've allways been thin .. and my friends allways know me as a person who eats a lot .. like an animal
tongue.png
.. i loved food so much .. but since i have symptoms of IBS (not sure if i have it or not but i think so) i have an absolute fear of food .. but only when i know i will have to be a long time out of my house (cause like whenever i go out i simply freak out with the IBS) .. when i go to college .. i have to get earlier to go to the bathroom and i can go a all day without eating because im afraid that if eat i will have a typical IBS-D episode .. im on college vacation and because i spent all my days at home i eat a lot because i feel secure cause i know im not leaving the house .. but when i know im leaving the house .. well IBS is a b**** :s

So from a person that use to eat everything that appear in front of her and now being prived like this .. well yeah its hard =/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.