Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My problem is really gross but after a lot of thought I need to express it somewhere and as I think you lot are pretty unshockable when it comes to bowel movements, thought I would post it here.As a bit of background, I have had IBS both C&D for 10 years. Last year I had a very long,bad period of it which led to depression and eventually into a nervous breakdown. I lost my job and am now in recovery. My IBS at the moment is under control because of my anti depressants but my pyschologist who is helping me with my emotional issues has said that until I face up to whatever it is I'm hiding (she's very good!lol!) then I will always feel dirty, ashamed and humiliated about having IBS.So I thought sharing my problem/secret on here is my first brave move to accepting/acknowledging it.Basically every time I have a bowel movement I have to stick my fingers up my bottom and drag 'it' out, I then continue dragging stuff out until I feel really empty. This is the only way I feel 'empty' inside and can relax.However, this leads to a complete obsession about toilets because:a) I'm in there for ages at a time:( I am petrified that someone might see me and what I'm doing, so I have a phobia about toilets with no locks, sharing toilets, anyone being outside the toilet door...etc...etcc) It's obviously pretty disgusting and can't imagine that it's doing my insides much good either.Not sure what response I want but definately not one telling me how 'DISGUSTING' that is...cos I know
Think it would be nice to know that there are other people out there who do pretty grim things in the bathroom out of desperation...Very sad, but glad I've made a brave step and finally admitted it to someone!Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi There!! I'm so glad you took that first step. Trust me.... you ARE NOT alone in what you have to do in the bathroom!!! You just needed to find the right support group!!! Keep reading all the posts and you will see what I mean. Jody

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Does your doctor know about this? Or do you hide this fact from her?I think you are definetly taking the right step. Admitting things is usually the first step to trying to make it better. Almost like an alcoholic...you have to admit you have a problem before you can correct it.My other question is this...do you "drag" it out because you have problems getting it out? Or is it more of a psychological thing? My grandmother was very, very constipated and sometimes had to drag it out (not by choice). If you are doing this for mental surety that you are empty. I would pretend that someone IS watching you going to the bathroom. Or someone is on the other side of the door waiting to bust in at any given time with a camera. This way you can maybe stop this from happening. Or if you do it a certain amount of times during the week. I would cut down doing it 1 time less each week (or month) until eventually you stopped. I say this because I am sure this is not healthy for you physically or mentally. How long have you been doing this?

G

·
There is hope! I have to do that too. I can't ever seem to get it out. So, what I have learned is to wait till the last minute and go and it seems to be pushing itself out. Now sometimes this is hard but I keep waiting till the right time. Or, people say up the fiber in your diet and you won't have to do that again. Fiber worked for me in that area but made my stomach even more bloated. So, I went back to the old rule of thumb don't drink 20 minutes before you eat and 20 minutes after so that you let the gasses in your stomach digest your food. When I started that I found things came out just like they should. Hope this helps!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Like a previous poster, it is unclear to me why you are doing this.1. If you have a psychological compulsion or obsession, then psychotherapy may be helpful, which apparently you are pursuing.2. If you have a medical problem called fecal impaction (dry stools that are too large to pass) then finding out why this is occurring is necessary. Fecal impaction is not uncommon, especially in the elderly, the bedridden, and those with spinal cord injuries. I have experienced it and have manually disimpacted myself using a finger and water. Fecal impaction may have a wide variety of causes, including too little fiber, too much fiber, not drinking enough water, poor motility, slow transit time, certain medications such as diuretics, or simply chronic constipation.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i think most of us that has had ibs for a long period of time have a obsession with toilets,some more than others.i work in a fast pace eviroment,which makes it dificult to explain why you have to go for long periods of time,or several times in a short period of time. when you think about something for a long time,its hard not to be obsessed with it.you have absolutly nothing to be ashamed of,everyone goes,just some of us have a more difficult time than others due to this ibs we are cused with.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
This is not the first time I've heard that someone has had to do this. Have you ever tried to do an enema? I've never done one but I hear that they clean you out and it feels like it. Perhaps that would be a good substitution for you as it wouldn't make you feel shame. I agree that if you are doing it to get the stool out then perhaps you need some work ups to rule out blockages. If you are doing it out of a compulsion then do try an enema and see if that makes you feel cleaned out. I knew of one woman whose colon shut down completely and she had to have enemas done at her clinic once a week or she would become impacted. I hope that is not your problem. I'm glad you're working with a counselor. One other thought I'll leave you with is this: no matter how bizarre you think a behaviour is, chances are pretty good that you're not the only one, no matter what it is you're talking about!Hope that helps!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Don't be ashamed about it. I have seen people post about this numerous times. I don't think anyone with IBS-C does this for psychological reasons, it's because you are trying to pass a boulder through a pea basically and that aint happening. If ya didn't have IBS or constipation than I would wonder
, but the body seems to malfunction so that a normal bodily function seems to stop working on it's own. You also said :
quote:Think it would be nice to know that there are other people out there who do pretty grim things in the bathroom out of desperation...
which I feel doesn't show signs of psychological origin. The weird thing about having IBS-c is that constipation feels 100 xs worse than if you were just someone who suffered occasional constipation. Whether you went an hour ago, a day ago or 5 minutes ago, you still don't feel any relief. The pain and bloating can still be there as if you hadn't gone in two weeks. I haven't had to do that although there were times I probably should have. Going two weeks without having a BM is not good.My words of advice from my experience are this:Try Magnesium...I take Magnssium Oxide/Gluconate combo. The one I take is Sundown's Magnessium. I do not have stock in Sundown..LOL....the only reason I mention it is that its the only brand I know with that combo and it is the cheapest one out there at least at WalMart ($2.97 where I live). If you can find another brand more power to ya. Magnessium works by flushing water into the bowes thus making the stool softer and easier to pass. It may take about a week, but it is worth it. It has been a godsend for me!Avoid Psyllium, it makes BMs even tougher to pass and you will feel 40% more bloated. Remember that people with D take it to bulk up there stools. Citrucel helps some as they do not experience bloating....but I only take benefiber whenI need it, which is rare with the Mag.Eat pears and Peaches if your stomach can handle them. They can work wonders as well. Coffee helpsSome say glycerin suppositories help. I have never tried them.Good Luck. Hope you are able to find some relief. Since I found Magnessium I actually have BMs that bring relief.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have seen several posts where people have to do this not because they are constipated but because the stool just 'sits' there in the lower rectum and unless they 'help'then nothing will happen. It is as if the bowel has forgotten what to do. For females the wall between the rectum and the vagina may be weak causing the stool to bulge into the rectum. This often means it needs a push to get it going! I only know this from what I have read on this board and suffer mildly from it myself.Hope it helps. There are many different problems on this board and we're here to help and support so please don't feel ashamed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi allI'v never actually done that, but know the feeling well, have u tried Glycerin Suppositories, there pretty good especially if the movement is lower down, "but stuck" if u know wat i mean, otherwise do try the ennema's they do give u a good cleaning out.I use suppositories quite regular, & the ennama's once a month, hope this helps.
XxX

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Info to ask your doctor about.""Outlet obstruction type constipation pelvic floor dyssynergiaThe external anal sphincter, which is part of the pelvic floor normally stays tightly closed to prevent leakage. When you try to have a bowel movement, however, this sphincter has to open to allow the fecal material to come out. Some people have trouble relaxing the sphincter muscle when they are straining to have a bowel movement, or they may actually squeeze the sphincter more tightly shut when straining. This produces symptoms of constipation. " http://www.iffgd.org/GIDisorders/GIAdults.html

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks Eric, I went to that site you posted and found Cronic Inertia. I'll print and show it to my doctor as it explains my condition better than I ever could. I will tell him why I have to use a glycerin suppository most every day to forego thatextreme straining that surely can't be good for one's old body. I'm surprised more constipation sufferers ( such as written above )have not tried glycerin suppositories as they have been a life saver to me. Good luck to all my constipated friends.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Eric I went to that site u posted & noticed there was the word Serotonin, has that got something to do with IBS, as i take the antidepressant Paroxatine hydrochloride 20mg.Any info would be most appreciated thanX

1 - 14 of 14 Posts