Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here goes. Does anybody have stool with a very strange consistency. Let me explain: sometimes, my stool is incredibly sticky, kind of like tar. (but it isn't black) Does anybody else have this problem? It's quite uncomfortable because it doesn't move very quickly. Sorry about the yucky details. I don't know how else to explain it!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
when you say sticky, do you mean mucousy? or do you mean like a paste consistency? I think the mucous is normal, and the pasty stools I've had but I find it's just the consistency between constipation and diarrhea, for me.

·
Registered
185 Posts
when you say sticky, do you mean mucousy? or do you mean like a paste consistency? I think the mucous is normal, and the pasty stools I've had but I find it's just the consistency between constipation and diarrhea, for me.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, it's good to know that you experience different consistencies too. Mine follow a fairly predictable pattern. The first few days are hard and small. Next few days sticky. Then diarrhea. This cycle lasts more than a week. Aaahhghg... will it ever end???I'm really scared about scheduling my barium enema. Can anybody reassure me that it's not terrible? Can anyone let me know what I'm in for? I've had a barium swallow and an ultrasound, but I suspect my problems are in the intestinal region.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it's good to know that you experience different consistencies too. Mine follow a fairly predictable pattern. The first few days are hard and small. Next few days sticky. Then diarrhea. This cycle lasts more than a week. Aaahhghg... will it ever end???I'm really scared about scheduling my barium enema. Can anybody reassure me that it's not terrible? Can anyone let me know what I'm in for? I've had a barium swallow and an ultrasound, but I suspect my problems are in the intestinal region.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Ive had the sticky stools also. Its very hard to clean off. Its like you gotta use a whole roll of toilet paper just to get clean.Im not sure about the barium enema. Ive never had one. Ive had a colonoscopy, but not the enema. Maybe somebody else will be able to tell you more about that .

·
Registered
562 Posts
Ive had the sticky stools also. Its very hard to clean off. Its like you gotta use a whole roll of toilet paper just to get clean.Im not sure about the barium enema. Ive never had one. Ive had a colonoscopy, but not the enema. Maybe somebody else will be able to tell you more about that .

G

·
Regarding the Barium Enema.....I had one about 2 years ago and it really was not that bad. I'm the biggest wimp there is and managed to go through it with flying colors. The worst part is the prep (cleaning yourself out)....What they do is instert a small tube with a little balloon on the end of it....They fill the balloon with air which fills you with some air also. You are lying on a bed on your side while this is happening...It is not painful at all....Once the barium starts going in, you feel it, but it's only because it's cold. Again, it does not hurt. The bed you are lying on moves (tilts) forward and back so that the barium can work it's way through your intestines. The doctor will ask you to move onto your back for a short period of time, just to get it all through. It does not take that long (maybe 3-5 min at the most) and then the hard part comes.....You have to hold it in. You feel like going to the bathroom, but you can't. This is when they will take the x-rays. The good part is that for most of them you are lying down on a bed. So it's easier to hold it...but hard for the ones that you have to stand for. Then they have to make sure that all the x-rays turn out before you are allowed to go to the bathroom. (If you have a nice tech, they might let you see some of the x-rays. I managed to get a peek of mine. Kind of interesting to see.) Bathroom Warning - Make sure that no one is nearby. This is the point where you will remove all the air and barium that they have entered into your intestines. I thought I was going to rocket myself aross the world. It was a little embarrassing to say the least. But, as I mentioned, it is not painful at all. Good Luck!

G

·
Regarding the Barium Enema.....I had one about 2 years ago and it really was not that bad. I'm the biggest wimp there is and managed to go through it with flying colors. The worst part is the prep (cleaning yourself out)....What they do is instert a small tube with a little balloon on the end of it....They fill the balloon with air which fills you with some air also. You are lying on a bed on your side while this is happening...It is not painful at all....Once the barium starts going in, you feel it, but it's only because it's cold. Again, it does not hurt. The bed you are lying on moves (tilts) forward and back so that the barium can work it's way through your intestines. The doctor will ask you to move onto your back for a short period of time, just to get it all through. It does not take that long (maybe 3-5 min at the most) and then the hard part comes.....You have to hold it in. You feel like going to the bathroom, but you can't. This is when they will take the x-rays. The good part is that for most of them you are lying down on a bed. So it's easier to hold it...but hard for the ones that you have to stand for. Then they have to make sure that all the x-rays turn out before you are allowed to go to the bathroom. (If you have a nice tech, they might let you see some of the x-rays. I managed to get a peek of mine. Kind of interesting to see.) Bathroom Warning - Make sure that no one is nearby. This is the point where you will remove all the air and barium that they have entered into your intestines. I thought I was going to rocket myself aross the world. It was a little embarrassing to say the least. But, as I mentioned, it is not painful at all. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Ah, yes, the TFFWP's (Two-Flush Forever Wipe Poos). Hate the sticky stuff! I used to get them all the time during really bad bouts. Thank goodness I only experience them once every few months anymore!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.