Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've had IBS-d for years now. I used to take Donnatal. But then things seemed to be getting better, and I haven't taken it in quite a while.

Lately, I've been having intermittent, lower abdominal pain. I thought it was PMS related (or even another ovarian cyst, as I've had them before). But an ultrasound ruled out a cyst, and my last GYN appt (last week) was fine. So I decided that it must be the IBS acting up again.

Sunday night was horrible. I had really bad pain. Doubled-over pain. Nothing took it away - prescription strength ibuprofen, Xanex, nothing.

So I saw a new GI doctor yesterday. He didn't seem overly concerned about my symptoms (as in, he didn't think anything sounded really alarming or emergency-related). He said it sounded like the IBS acting up, so he put me on Librax. One before each meal and one before bed. When I read up on this drug, I found only really positive things. I found review after review that said that this was the only thing that took care of their IBS pain. I was so excited that I'd found something that might work.

But, last night (I'd had 3 by then), I was having the same lower, right abdominal pain. Finally went ahead and took some ibuprofen, and it did calm things down enough that I could sleep.

But this morning, I am having the worst feeling of needing to urinate - and can't. I looked it up, and it does appear that urinary retention is a side effect of the medication.

I'm also feeling a bit loopy and tired. I understand that's another side effect.

Help.
sad.png
I feel like all I've done is add bad side effects to the pain. Now I have the pain AND more stuff to deal with.
sad.png

I have a call in to the nurse to see what she says. I'm still waiting on her to call me back.

But I also wanted to post it here to see what y'all might know about this. Does the urinary retention problem go away after you take this med a few days? If I have to get off of it, is there another drug that works? I tried Bentyl a long time ago, and it didn't work.

I need advice from people who understand IBS pain - and the problems associated with getting rid of it. Give me some advice here.
sad.png

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got a call back from the doctor's office. The person I talked to is going to relay a message to the nurse and get back to me either before 4:30 today (which is only 15 more minutes) or tomorrow.

Is this feeling that I need to urinate (but not be able to) going to go away? This isn't fun. And it hurts. :(

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No call back from the doctor today. It looks like I'm going to have to go another night. :(

Someone here must have some advice. Pretty please? Anything at all?

Would hot tea maybe help this feeling? I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
262 Posts
With lower-right abdominal pain, you need to rule out appendicitis. If the pain is at McBurney's Point (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McBurney's_point, you can also find YouTube videos that will help you locate the point), you need to get into an ER immediately.

Sorry I can't offer any other advice, I've been fortunate enough that I've never experienced unbearable pain with my IBS-D other than brief lower abdominal cramping before an episode -- aside from when I had appendicitis, that is!

Cheers,

Rich

Lifetime wonky gut

SCD 2 months

http://omnivoreoncemore.blogspot.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.