Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is expressing my disgust and fear of SOME of those in the medical profession. Two years ago my mom had an episode that caused a huge spike in blood pressure, vision problems, and some transitory confusion. Her GP ordered all the tests, brain scan and some others. At that time we were told everything was fine and there was no sign of stroke or brain attack. Her heart was fine and "well..its just her age" and physically she's doing just fine. I can accept that but lately she's had episodes of passing out and losing her balance. Tonite she went to the ER and the on call physician was noticably irritated at her GP as she showed sign of scarring from previous "brain attacks" on the scan and her carotid (spelling?) is 90% blocked. She has surgery on Thursday.The worst part of this is that her GP at her last visit said, "Well Lucille, I guess you'll be leaving us soon, Let us pray." My mother at 88yrs old complied with his wishes and then after she got home her anger began to rise so the next day she went and told him off. I didn't know about any of this until tonight after her neighbor told me. Now, Is this professional behavior? I am outraged that he would say something like this and not do anything or inform her of what her tests actually showed. Because she has never been ill before she just thought she was depressed and there was no physical explaination for her problem. Her surgery to clear the blockage is set for Thursday but thanks only to the ER doc. This GP was sued last year and almost lost his license but no one knows why. All of his patients are elderly. Are we talkin Dr Death? Over treatment is one thing but informing the patient is another.By the way, my gut's in an absolute uproar. Thanks for listening, sorry so long.Non-believer

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
How horrible
When you are told something like that I wouldnt have time to say anything back to him untill after I got home...and really processed what he has told me
He sounds like he is really a nut case...Your Mom should be proud that you care about her ...There will come a time when you can tell that idot what you think ..Hope all works out for you Mother

·
Registered
619 Posts
Wow! I think I would be finding a new doctor.While it is wonderful to pray, you don't tell someone something like he did. God put doctors here to help us not to decide when it is our time to go. Is this doctor elderly himself? Maybe he is losing it a bit?

·
Registered
919 Posts
What a *&*&####!
I cannot believe he had the nerve to say something like that. Glad to hear she told him off. You can see this GP is in the field not because he cares for people, but because of the money. That really burns me up. I don't even know your mom, so I can imagine how angry you are!!!!! There are some doctors out there who are so arrogant. Although this isn't as serious, my mom had an incident with an OBGYN. Her and my dad had been FAITHFULLY married for 30 years. She went there and the guy after doing a pap told her she had Condoloma, a sexually transmitted disease. My mom said it was impossible because she had been faithful and trusted my dad to know he wasn't messing around. Then he told her that "you never really know someone". My mom left understandably upset and her and my dad talked things through. My father said it was not possible. She went for a second opinion and the new Obgyn ws so angry and called and reamed the other one out. Turned out she had nothing. It's one thing to misdiagnose something, but the new Obgyn was angry also because this guy said it could only be transmitted sexually when in reality hot tubs, bathtubs etc. are also places you could pick something like that up. It's a good thing my mom got a second opinion, and she too called and reamed him out. Other women in our area have had problems with this jerk as well. He's been really popular for doing unnecessary surgeries. A family friend of ours used to work in his office and he actually asked all employees there to sign a form saying that they would not talk about procedures that were carried out at his office. She wouldn't sign it, and shortly thereafter quit. I hope everything goes well with your mom. I feel so bad for her for having to go through this. Just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you and her at this difficult time.((hugs))Kari

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all who responded. It really helps to know you are there.I sure wish there was some way of looking up background checks on dr's and not just for hospital disciplinary action but for all lawsuits. I know alot of them are frivolous, but I still feel we have the right to see.Oh yeah, the dr. is not elderly, he's younger than me (54) but I think he's gone over the edge with his religious fervor.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Hi Bellyknot,I am not sure, but my friend told me recently that she thought she heard he was being sued. I have heard a lot of bad stories about him. My friend's father is a doctor (Dr.s don't usually seem to bad mouth each other) but he had nothing nice to say about the guy either. The sad part is that the other women in the office actually signed the form. Kathleen refused and he wound up cutting her hours so she would quit. If that were me I would have reported his "cover ups". I agree with you. I think the best way to find a dr. is by word of mouth. I am still in shock and angry that your mom's GP would say something like that. Could you perhaps ask the doctor in the ER if she could refer a good doctor?Hope everything goes well for your mom. :love: kari

G

·
I hope your Mum's surgery goes well and she doesn't worry too much because of what that incompassionate 'dr' had to say. Hope she gets her file transferred elsewhere!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Kind of makes me wonder why this guy even became a dr, since he has the compassion of a brick
He was totally unprofessional... and If I were her, I'd find another dr.She made it 88yrs , no thanks to him..May she live many more years to come.Jeanne

·
Registered
693 Posts
Sorry that yoour Mom had to go through that. Hope the surgery goes well.Not only do we have to demand proper medical for ourselves but also our parents. It infuriates me when they are sent on their way and told "don't worry it's just old age". My father was not feeling well for quite a while . I told him I didn't think the things he was experiencing were normal but he said the Dr. didn't make a big deal about it. Well lo and behold when they finally gave him a chest xray they found a tumor that was in-operable. He was gone in 3 mos. I was living out of state then but I really regret that I didn't storm that Drs office and make him listen.I asked my mother who is 75 if her Dr. recommended a bone density test and she said no. Everything I've read said they should be given after age 50. She told the Dr. she wanted one and they discovered that she has osteoporosis (sp?) and arthritis in her hip.No wonder she has been limping around.She also asked about a colonoscopy. Dr. said it would probably be a good idea.Really? We both go to a gyno that doesn't do anything but the pap when we go for yearly exams. No internal. Looking for a new Dr. I realize Drs. are busy and (some) work long hours but there seems to be a lot of room for improvement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.