Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my son is 14, he has been off school for a year with feet problems, before that he had bad stomach for a year so hes in his third year of bad stmach, he doesnt eat anything at school as he knows hel need the loo as soon as hes eaten, but he has to travel a long distance to get to his special place in a schol so he doesnt eat anythin from 7.30 til he gets home at 4.20. i worry for him and i feeel so bad for him when he has to use the loo yet again and spned another 20 minutes in there- its very difficult for a mlother to watch, the dotcors want a stool sample- my son doesnt ant to do it and i cant see what this is going t achieve, i have tried giving him tablets for holiday tummys- dont work- calcium tablet- desnt work (they are very big to swallow and i suspect he isnt having big enough dose) have tried food group exclusion- hasnt worked, i feel for him and want a solution i am very worried about how its holding him back- the good news is that he feels fine and doesnt have stomach cramps its just that his body has to expel everything quickly and it doesnt form nto anhing solid ever- not even one single time in three years- this worries me greatly and going to the doctors is hard for a teenager. i really need support i am so worried and more tha anything would love for him to go to the loo and have one solid movement- does that sound crazy? i know it sounds mad- what a thing to wish for eh? but its true- thank goodness for the internet eh! we can all talk about it- what did they do in the iddle ages? just hang their bums out fot he castle al day? if anyone has any suggestions i will try them. i have tried a gluten free diet but maybe i didnt try it for long enough, have tried lactose free diet but nothing seems to work, i had hoped i could cut out a food group and then when it got to a certain day and magically his bowel movements would start t firm up- but its not been that simple- even though he doesnt talk to me about it- he knows i know about it as we live upstairs in a small house and i can hear through the bathrom walls so i know exactly whats going on- it would be great if he could just go to the loo once and then be done with it and be able to eat a school etc. feel rock bottom with worry over this isse- any advice would be apreciated

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The stool sample will tell them if he has things like giardia that can be eliminated with medication. But they won't just dose him with every potential drug to get rid of stuff like that until they know which one, if any, he has.A stool sample is a very standard test to run to rule other things out before being sure it is IBS.There are chewable calcium carbonate out there if he can't swallow large pills.Have you tried Imodium? (assuming we are pretty clear it is IBS and not something else). If he can't take pills, it comes as a liquid. A lot of IBSers find that two doses a day (so one in the morning and one at dinner time) will give them good control of the diarrhea.Have you tried probiotics? There are a few that are chewable and sometimes people will find yogurt or kefir drinks will be enough to help a bit if they can't take pills.I would see if peppermint helps him at all if he won't go to the doctor or you can't find one that will help. Peppermint is a natural antispasmodic. I find a couple of Altoids mints have enough peppermint to take the edge off either cramps or urgency. And they are something you can usually carry at school and not have anyone think twice about it. You need something you take a couple out of the tin, offer a few to your friends and no one is the wiser. Unfortunately diet often isn't the main factor. I would look at how much high fructose corn syrup and caffeine he is getting. If he drinks a lot of soda or fruit juice drinks (or even some 100% fruit juices like apple or pear) that can be enough fructose (and with the 100% juice sorbitol) to cause problems if he's sensitive to either of those two things.

·
Registered
311 Posts
here's what i think is going on, as i've been living with this thing most my life........it caused by adrenal fatigue.........do alot of research on it, there's a ton out there.........without a dr's Rx, u can try licorice root DGL caps.........it may take alot to help him, it sounds like he might be really adrenal fatigued.........what i take is hydrocortisone pills, with a Rx........my dr understands this disease well.........& it will run ur life in a serious way............u can read my other posts here, there's quite a few.........get some licorice root DGL & the next time he even feels like the D is coming on, have him take 2 or 3.........if it seems to help at all, then have him take more.........even at night, ur body has an ebb & flow of adrenal hormones & sleep has a lot to do with it..... there is a reason for everything & finding the cause, goes along way toward a cure.........

·
Registered
79 Posts
Its understandable your son doesn't want to do a stool test it is an unpleasant idea but that said it is easy and quick and can detect some reasons for his diarhea that might have a quick fix, like mentioned giardia which is quite common here in Oz and is easily fixed with anti-biotics...he might be right it may not help anything but it is valuable to exhaust every option just incase,,, i am sure he is just embarrassed about it especially being a young school kid, maybe re-assure him that its no big deal and no one will know anyway

1 - 4 of 4 Posts