Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just so fed up with myself! I've got IBSc almost constantly or at the very least I have a few days off here and there. I am constantly bloated and in pain and my weight is really getting me down. I have been trying to diet for about 4 or 5 weeks. I have been losing a few pounds and last week when I weighed I'd lost about 7 pounds. Went out and bought myself a new pair of trousers as feeling really pleased with myself, just tried them on and although they fit, they don't fit as good as when I bought them. Last week they were looser around my abdomen and now they look and feel tight. I have still been dieting and can't possibly find another answer to this weight re-appearing (just weighed and the 7pounds are back!) This has happened year after year. I find it really hard to lose weight and usually just give up. I know I am very bloated and have only had 2 very small BM in 6 days so I'm assuming that this is going to make me feel heavier as I've got all this #### inside me butI am feeling so despondent and very down about all this and just feel like having a bloody good cry although I don't think feeling sorry for myself will help.I am waiting to see a dietrican but on the NHS it's probably going to take months. Please someone tell me I'm not going mad and using IBS as an excuse?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hi. No, you are not going mad or imagining the weight loss/gain. I've been there. I was wondering if you've ever tried metamucil or citrucel. I remember when I was constipated if I took this every night I would go to the bathroom daily. Also, regular exercise can get things moving. Hope something helps. Best wishes.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hi. No, you are not going mad or imagining the weight loss/gain. I've been there. I was wondering if you've ever tried metamucil or citrucel. I remember when I was constipated if I took this every night I would go to the bathroom daily. Also, regular exercise can get things moving. Hope something helps. Best wishes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi witchywoo, I feel your pain just by your words. I worout very regularly, eat healthy, give of most yummy stuff and drink water until I feel like floating away. I am always bloated, and my clothes don't fit. I also have went from a size 8 to a 12. i am always depressed my husband doesn't understand and neither does his family. my mom trys to but she is worried about her own problems. i know everyone is tired of hearing about my stomach, but it is always bothering me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi witchywoo, I feel your pain just by your words. I worout very regularly, eat healthy, give of most yummy stuff and drink water until I feel like floating away. I am always bloated, and my clothes don't fit. I also have went from a size 8 to a 12. i am always depressed my husband doesn't understand and neither does his family. my mom trys to but she is worried about her own problems. i know everyone is tired of hearing about my stomach, but it is always bothering me.

·
Registered
654 Posts
You are not mad, and you are not using ibs as an excuse. Losing weight is difficult enough, without adding ibs to the mix. I lost 60 lbs with Weight Watchers and worked as a leader for a while. Losing weight is challenging. Try keeping a food diary, it can help with both your ibs and weight loss. Writing things down helps you keep track of what is working and what isn't. The challenge is finding foods that will work both to help your ibs, and to loose weight. For example fruits and vegies are great for weight loss, but some of them may trigger your symptoms. It may take awhile to find something that works for both. Since everyone is different,you'll need to exparament with different foods, here's where patience comes in. Easier said then done, I know. Regular excercise helps for both ibs and weight loss as well. Find something you can enjoy and stick to it. Start slow and work your way up to about 20 minutes a day. In short be patient with yourself, and don't get discouraged. Once you find what works, you'll be on a roll.

·
Registered
654 Posts
You are not mad, and you are not using ibs as an excuse. Losing weight is difficult enough, without adding ibs to the mix. I lost 60 lbs with Weight Watchers and worked as a leader for a while. Losing weight is challenging. Try keeping a food diary, it can help with both your ibs and weight loss. Writing things down helps you keep track of what is working and what isn't. The challenge is finding foods that will work both to help your ibs, and to loose weight. For example fruits and vegies are great for weight loss, but some of them may trigger your symptoms. It may take awhile to find something that works for both. Since everyone is different,you'll need to exparament with different foods, here's where patience comes in. Easier said then done, I know. Regular excercise helps for both ibs and weight loss as well. Find something you can enjoy and stick to it. Start slow and work your way up to about 20 minutes a day. In short be patient with yourself, and don't get discouraged. Once you find what works, you'll be on a roll.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HiThanks so much everyone for your replies, it really lifted my spirits to read that I'm not alone on this. "Soft" I haven't heard of the meds you take but they're probably similar to what I am perscribed - high fibre drinks/pills? I take Fybogel Orange and Movicol drinks. When I take the Fybogel regular, it usually does help me to keep a bit more regular in my BM. I ran out a while back and only now put in a new script so I think a lesson is to be learnt here - I must take these everyday and not be in a position where I've run out. The Movicol drinks are newly perscribed. I have found that after taking a few that I had some Diarherra, which is good when I'm THIS "bunged" up, but because I have had to go to a lot of important apps the last week, I wasn't taken them as regular because I was scared I'd be caught short and I didn't want to be in any embaressing situations. So you see, in a way I've been a fool to myself but as things have gotten so bad recently I can't let this go on any longer. The next couple of days I'm going to shut myself in doors and hopefully have a good "blast out!""Holly" we are coming from the same place! Bloating is 2nd nature to me now and I HATE it! I hate the way I look and I hate the way I feel too. My partner does understand how I feel and what I'm going through but at the same time feels hopeless as he doesn't know how to help me. I don't think he realises how much the weight thing affects me though. My mum is exactly the same too, and I feel that everyone is sick of hearing about my bad stomach and I feel they don't understand at all.Everyone's right about the exercise. I don't do nearly enough at all. A lot of the time I'm either in pain or too fatigued to do anything. When I have pushed myself I do feel better but cos I'm feeling so crappy at the mo, I know I make excuses and talk myself out of it. I know deep down that I need to keep pushing myself because it WILL make me feel better, if not physically, physcologically. So I'm going to take all the advice and try to make the effort and stick to it and also keep a closer eye on my diet too. THANKS again everyone and Take Care.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HiThanks so much everyone for your replies, it really lifted my spirits to read that I'm not alone on this. "Soft" I haven't heard of the meds you take but they're probably similar to what I am perscribed - high fibre drinks/pills? I take Fybogel Orange and Movicol drinks. When I take the Fybogel regular, it usually does help me to keep a bit more regular in my BM. I ran out a while back and only now put in a new script so I think a lesson is to be learnt here - I must take these everyday and not be in a position where I've run out. The Movicol drinks are newly perscribed. I have found that after taking a few that I had some Diarherra, which is good when I'm THIS "bunged" up, but because I have had to go to a lot of important apps the last week, I wasn't taken them as regular because I was scared I'd be caught short and I didn't want to be in any embaressing situations. So you see, in a way I've been a fool to myself but as things have gotten so bad recently I can't let this go on any longer. The next couple of days I'm going to shut myself in doors and hopefully have a good "blast out!""Holly" we are coming from the same place! Bloating is 2nd nature to me now and I HATE it! I hate the way I look and I hate the way I feel too. My partner does understand how I feel and what I'm going through but at the same time feels hopeless as he doesn't know how to help me. I don't think he realises how much the weight thing affects me though. My mum is exactly the same too, and I feel that everyone is sick of hearing about my bad stomach and I feel they don't understand at all.Everyone's right about the exercise. I don't do nearly enough at all. A lot of the time I'm either in pain or too fatigued to do anything. When I have pushed myself I do feel better but cos I'm feeling so crappy at the mo, I know I make excuses and talk myself out of it. I know deep down that I need to keep pushing myself because it WILL make me feel better, if not physically, physcologically. So I'm going to take all the advice and try to make the effort and stick to it and also keep a closer eye on my diet too. THANKS again everyone and Take Care.

·
Registered
115 Posts
witchywoo, have you tried doing balance ball pilates for exercise? I find it to be not only great for the body, but it is fun as well. LOL I actually have had to cut down on my exercise since I was losing weight with the diarrhea (but still kept the bloated tummy, nice
), but I am sure you guys don't really want to hear about anyone bitching about losing weight right now.
I also find going for long walks is a great way to exercise and clear the mind as well.
My dog loves the walks too. LOL

·
Registered
115 Posts
witchywoo, have you tried doing balance ball pilates for exercise? I find it to be not only great for the body, but it is fun as well. LOL I actually have had to cut down on my exercise since I was losing weight with the diarrhea (but still kept the bloated tummy, nice
), but I am sure you guys don't really want to hear about anyone bitching about losing weight right now.
I also find going for long walks is a great way to exercise and clear the mind as well.
My dog loves the walks too. LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm glad I read this thread.I a thinking that I need to work on my diet and add more exercise. I used to do yoga, maybe its time to pick that back up. I walk my dog most days.... she loves it and doesnt let me get away with skipping very often. I've been reading a lot on the net today... is diet a totally individual thing? Most of what I read is just general (drink water, eat plenty of fruits and veggies, avoid all the stuff that we know is bad for us). And of course, I do not do the later. I am pretty good at the water, fruits, veggies thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm glad I read this thread.I a thinking that I need to work on my diet and add more exercise. I used to do yoga, maybe its time to pick that back up. I walk my dog most days.... she loves it and doesnt let me get away with skipping very often. I've been reading a lot on the net today... is diet a totally individual thing? Most of what I read is just general (drink water, eat plenty of fruits and veggies, avoid all the stuff that we know is bad for us). And of course, I do not do the later. I am pretty good at the water, fruits, veggies thing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't tried Pilates but used to do Yoga in the past and loved that. I am waiting for a class to come up again near to where I live. I have got a couple of video tapes but somehow never seem to get round to it of feel too crappy etc. I've promised myself that I will put the effort in as Yoga is supposed to be very good for IBS and I think Pilates is similar isn't it. The ball sounds fun though! I have an exercise bike which I go through phases of using, lately though I haven't felt like it as I've had a lot of pain. I do enjoy walking and have a dog too but the weather has been awful lately so haven't been far. I'd love to do stomach crunches again but is it wise when I'm feeling like this?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't tried Pilates but used to do Yoga in the past and loved that. I am waiting for a class to come up again near to where I live. I have got a couple of video tapes but somehow never seem to get round to it of feel too crappy etc. I've promised myself that I will put the effort in as Yoga is supposed to be very good for IBS and I think Pilates is similar isn't it. The ball sounds fun though! I have an exercise bike which I go through phases of using, lately though I haven't felt like it as I've had a lot of pain. I do enjoy walking and have a dog too but the weather has been awful lately so haven't been far. I'd love to do stomach crunches again but is it wise when I'm feeling like this?

·
Registered
115 Posts
witchywoo~ get off your butt and get a balance ball and some balance ball w/pilates videos.
LOL Just start with a beginner video for now and work yourself up.
As far as doing stomach crunches with the ab pain, I can't say if that is good or bad, I am no doctor, but I would say just take it easy and listen to your body, if it hurts to do them often, do them slowly, less reps, less often until you can work yourself up to other levels.I have done Yoga too, but I prefer the pilates with the balance ball. Yoga and Pilates can be similar, but when you throw in the balance ball it is unlike any exercise I have ever done, also the ball is an excellent tool to use for stretching your back and abs, so that may help with your pain as well! Just make sure you buy a balance ball that is the correct size for your height and weight, one size does NOT fit all with those things.
This company offers a great beginners kit for balance ball pilates~ I bought and used it myself and enjoyed it, so I can recommend it with all confidence. http://www.gaiam.com/retail/category.asp?c...=l2_BalanceBall Good luck to you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
witchywoo~ get off your butt and get a balance ball and some balance ball w/pilates videos.
LOL Just start with a beginner video for now and work yourself up.
As far as doing stomach crunches with the ab pain, I can't say if that is good or bad, I am no doctor, but I would say just take it easy and listen to your body, if it hurts to do them often, do them slowly, less reps, less often until you can work yourself up to other levels.I have done Yoga too, but I prefer the pilates with the balance ball. Yoga and Pilates can be similar, but when you throw in the balance ball it is unlike any exercise I have ever done, also the ball is an excellent tool to use for stretching your back and abs, so that may help with your pain as well! Just make sure you buy a balance ball that is the correct size for your height and weight, one size does NOT fit all with those things.
This company offers a great beginners kit for balance ball pilates~ I bought and used it myself and enjoyed it, so I can recommend it with all confidence. http://www.gaiam.com/retail/category.asp?c...=l2_BalanceBall Good luck to you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.