Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, im 24 years old male and ive had IBS for the last 3 years and it really has changed my life for the worse. My problem is that when im at home i will be quite constipated and pass small round stools very dark in colour, about 2/3rds the size of a ping pong ball and i struggle to pass these kinds of stool. Its when i go out that i have problems with my stool, when it first started it was quite watery and pellet like diarrhea but now it is more long soft stool that burns when i pass it. The colour of this stool is always light brown and i find it very difficult to close my bowels, mucus that smells like bleach is usually found when i wipe. It has got to the stage where im very anxious about going out, im very upset as i have no friends that are local to me, no job, no girlfriend, all the things that a normal person my age is doing. Instead i stay in all the time usually playing video games, i really do feel like im wasting my life but once i try to do something about it my gut makes it very difficult for me. I started training martial arts about a year and a bit ago and that has helped slightly and also makes sure i get plenty of exercise so im in pretty good shape. Do my symptoms sound like they are to do with my mental state? the fact that im ok when im at home near a toilet but as soon as i go out im unwell would suggest to me that it is not my body but my brain.im thinking that the only way to beat this is to go traveling, there are a few countries i want to visit but im wondering will this situation help matters or make them worse? as for the job situation i would like to work in london but that would require an hour train journey with no toilet which makes me very anxious.Im really getting stressed out my mum has been really supportive but thats about it other members of my family continually call me depressing to be around and one member in particular really likes to be very abusive to me about my situation. Im stuck in a bit of a catch22 situation, i would like to move out but i dont have a job and even if i did have a job iv got no one to move in with and i thinking living on my own would be the final nail in the coffin so to speak (or type :s)If anyone has any suggestions or is in this situation as well i would love to hear from you, currently im taking 30mg of amitryptaline a night. I have tried the calcium idea but that just made my stool a light greenish colour. I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy 1 year ago which showed no signs of colitis or celiacs disease, biopsies were taken and nothing out of the ordinary was found.hope to hear from someone....

·
Registered
287 Posts
HiIt sounds as if you have an element of anticipatory/excitement diarrhoea when you leave home. I've found propanolol quite useful for this. GP should be happy to prescribe this for you. It seems to dampen down the sympathetic nervous system

·
Registered
37 Posts
have you tried fybogel hyspaghula husk- get a sachet its in all chemists and ad a it of water, hold your nose and get the whole lot down you. it will make it easier to pass those small ping pong stools. it will deffinately stop that- thats constipation and its uncomfortable- you should deffnately not be having so much difficulty, its a pain. youll get piles before too long if you keep straining these little pellets out. id try the hyspaghula husk, let me know how yo gte on- take it all though- the whole glass- dont leave any! you need more fibre for those pellets you arent takng enough fibre and it wont be possible to eat as much fibre as you need not unless you physically st and munch on bran and carrots from noon till night. i had constiption like this for years i was permanently uncomfortabe- now i wouldnt survive without the hyspaghula husk/bybogel- it glides through your system- and will change that pellet thing beyod recognition- but you must drink whole lot however horrid it tastes- and keep it up for a week before you give up on it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i think if you tried the fybogel, you wont be irritable, uncomfortable and ultimately thats why you are miseable to be around because you need to go to the loo and cant go- the waste is not moving through you like it should and then when you go out it goes even odder. give this stuff a go- dont know what will happen when you go out but at the vey least youll be able to pas a movement easier and the empty satisfied feeling and feeling clean inside- priceless absolute pinnacle of health feeling- people dont undertsand how grotty you can feel when you arent getting rid of your waste properly. moody, heavy and grotty. when thats dealt with youll feel s much better- but like i said i dont know what it wll do to he mucous type stuff- youd need to see a dcotor and get some tests dne- theyll wnat a sample off of you

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi rosielee, thanks for your reply.i have tried fybogel before and the effect that had on me was needing to make very large urgent bm first thing in the morning admittedly that did get rid f some of the constipation but my main problem as stated in my post is that i get alot of soft stools when i go out. I can deal with the constipation fine as if im having a tough time passing stool ill take a senokot or something similar to help pass that stool. The problem is with the soft stool when i go out, i am in regular contact with my gastroentrologist who i see around every three months, she knows how distressed i am and im seeing her again in march.other meds i have tried:mebeverinefybogelphylium huskcalium supplementsbeta blockerspetra: propanolol....are they beta blockers? if so i have tried them already and they didnt seem to have much of an effect on me.

·
Registered
287 Posts
BTW-yes, propanolol is a beta blocker. Sorry it didn't work for you. How much did you take? I use 40mg an hour before an event and they really slow me down. Tried 20mg this week-end but that didn't really do the job. I think it is important to get the dose right for you if it is to be effective. I think I have been prescribed 10mg 3-4 x daily but I dosed per the leaflet for severe anxiety. I think it does make a difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.