Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have been diagnosed with IBS a year ago. Since then my condition has improved and right now I hardly have any problems. BUT...this is the weird thing: little by little my boyfriend started to have the same symptoms as me. And I have to mention this whole thing started right after we moved into this new house. At first I kind of thought there might be something in this house causing it...like a material or the water here or whatever...and now I am becoming more and more convinced that there is something here making us sick and I have no idea what it is or how to look for it

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But the are drinking bottled water and I have been checked for parasites ... I only use the tap water in cooking and stuff like that...I am wondering if it can be one of the materials used in the construction.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
May not be anything in the plumbing. Some people get sensitivities to formaldehyde and such that is released from new carpeting, chip board, etc. Also if it is newer construction the house may be so tight you accumulate indoor air pollutants which can include anything you use as an air freshener, etc. Airing the house out once in awhile may help indoor air quality.Some people can be sensitive to disinfection products in the tap water that may not boil off. Might want to put a filter on the kitchen sink or use a pitcher to make water for cooking.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The house is old but recently renovated, it is right close to the city center, that's why I wanted it
... but the thing is becoming spooky!...My boyfriend just told me he doesn't understand why he has so much gas in the morning and evening....and those are the times I normally have gas problems! And recently he started having cramps after meals! I will have to do some research into the materials used to renovate the house. I am an architect so I designed all this myself but God knows what those workers did when I was not around...including replacing some materials or something. Or it might be something from the court yard...Honestly it's just becoming scary! Good idea about the water and sink. I have a filter downstairs but think it is not a really good one, our pipes still get stuck from all the #### in the water (and I did replace all of them before we moved in!) so I will have to buy a new one and one for the sink as well. I do air the house all day long though...I don't believe in air conditioning I like fresh air from outside even during winter time.I swear today I was close to thinking ...maybe I should go and speak with a priest? Maybe there is something wrong with this place...maybe you people will find it ridiculous but damn it's becoming a scary movie for us!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear TanaG, I don't think your ridiculous and you are probably right, something is wrong with the house (Sick Building Syndrome). However, whatever it is it is fixable:) Not only that, when you figure it out, you will be feeling better than ever. I recommend you take the following steps: First, do a visual inspection of the home for any signs of mold growth/water damage where ever you can. Go in attics, check for roof leaks, look for brown stains on ceilings and walls, check around water fixtures as much as possible (a leaky pipe can easily be fixed). Anyplace you can remove an access panel, maybe around your washing machine etc..., do it. Remember your Flashlight! Second, thoroughly inspect the furnace and the HVAC system inside and out. Outside, make sure their is no evidence of rotting material near the air inlet. Check the heat exchanger for signs of growth, moisture. Make sure your replacing the air filter on the furnace. I would inspect your water system thoroughly as you can looking for growths in the water lines. How old is your hot water heater? Turn the hot water heater to as hot as it can go and ensure that the temperature at the outlet is 140F or higher. Do a thorough inspection of your hot water heater and do the annual maintenance. You mentioned you don't like to use your AC? That may actually be a bad thing since the way the homes are designed, the AC works to control humidity. Humidity may be your main problem, due to hot humid air coming into the home and condensing on cooler walls. I recommend you buy a humidity monitor ($10). Check the humidity throughout your home and throughout the day. It should be between 30-50% relative humidity. If it is higher than that, you have a problem. Remember, moisture is the key to bacteria and mold growth. It is the only way to control these organisms. Also, make sure your AC is hitting the proper temperatures. I can't recall the exact numbers but the air at the vent should be something like 10 degrees cooler than the surrounding air. You may have nothing wrong with the house, you may not be running the HVAC system properly to control humidity. Finally, do a sniff test. The air in your home should feel clean and fresh (without air freshners). Have you ever walked into a museum or high rise building that is basically made of granite/marble? You should get the same experience walking into your home. You will always have a little odor but become familiar with what a "musty" home smells like. Once you get the humidity under control in the home, you may want to stay out of the home for several days and then come back and check if the air quality has improved. Also, with regards to water and food, it is easy enough to eliminate those as a causative agent by buying bottled water and "sterile" food. Think of this as a learning experience. Begin learning all you can about sick buildings. With todays energy efficient homes, more and more people are having problems with indoor air quality. Hopefully this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.