Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This site www....com has lots of lifestyle and dietary advice and has helped a lot of members on the site. I don't follow the diet but I found the advice extremely helpful in identifiying my triggers.Any exercise is good, yoga/stretch/pilates is particularly good for IBS.Most people who have tried probiotics report good things about them, and more and more doctors are recommending probiotics when they prescribe antibiotics. Your intestinal flora may be imbalanced, so it may be worth trying probiotics for a while. Metagenics and Kyo-Dophilus 9 have reported good results from members here.Supplements recommended for IBS include: Golden Seal, Digestive Enzymes, Slippery Elm, Fish Oil, ...Probiotics: help the healthy gut bacteria grow, while reducing the harmful bacteria. Aloe vera is healing to the digestive tract.Alfalfa contains vitamin K, needed to build intestinal flora for proper digestion, and chlorophyll for healing and cleansing of the bloodstream.Peppermint Oil: Used to help the body reduce production of excessive gas. Peppermint oil supports the stomach to soothe indigestion, and promote proper elimination. (Enteric coated capsules or tea is easiest on the digestive system)Iberis amara (Clown's mustard plant): Eliminates gastro-hepatic disruptions with symptoms that include intestinal pain and cramps.Ginger: Ginger has been used throughout history as support for gastrointestinal health. Ginger supports total body detoxification and stomach comfort. Evening Primrose Oil: A rich source of gamma linolenic acid (GLA), an omega 6 fatty acid that supports the body�s heart nervous, and immune systems.Grapefruit Seed Extract (or other bioflavanoids): Suports a healthy digestive system by promoting growth of friendly intestinal bacteria. Chamomile: known to soothe the digestive tract as an anti-spasmotic. While no human studies have been performed on this supplement in relation to IBS, it has been proven to reduce irritation and cramping in animals. Chamomile can be taken as a tea, or as a capsule.Bioflavonoids are effective in relieving inflammation.For advice on dosages I find this site very useful: http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/subs...525,748,00.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone. I am new to this board and I just recently discovered that I have IBS after so many years of thinking I was the only person in the world that had my problems. I am looking for something to help with my symptoms. I currently suffer from D more than anything. I can never tell when it is going to happen, therefore it really keeps me from being an outgoing person because I am always so worried that if I go out to eat or something that I am going to have a problem. Sometimes I will use the restroom, but then not feel that I am completely done, but also cannot go anymore (Therefore having that nagging feeling all the time). I also find that I dont really have much time between after I eat and when I have to hit the bathroom. I have been researching IBS a decent amount recently in hopes of finding something to help. Not long ago I gave up caffeine and carbonation and have been trying to start exercising more by running (not sure if this helps IBS symptoms or not). I have read that using soluable fiber supplements is a good thing. I guess my question is where should I start? What supplements are best? How often should I take them? I saw that calcium was suggested on this board, should I try calcium? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just typed a long detailed response to your post but it's disappeared !! Oh well that will teach me for blabbing on ...This site best sums up the information I was trying to give you anyway: http://www.supplementwatch.com/supcat/cate...le&categoryId=7 And I would also check out www....com it has great advice for lifestyle and diet changes to help relieve your symptoms. Lots of members have had great sucess following Heather's diet. I don't follow the diet but I found it excellent to help me identify my triggers and lots of suggestions for things that are major offenders.Any exercise is great, yoga/stretch/pilates routines are the best exercise for IBS.If you have been on antibiotics or suffered from a gastrointestinal infection then a good probiotic may help rebalance your intestinal flora. Kyo-Dophilus 9 and Metagenics BifoViden ID and LactoViden ID (available at http://www.ritecare.com/mtg_index.html) are the most commonly used by members of this board.This is a great article for summarising the current understanding of the condition. http://altmedicine.about.com/library/weekly/aa010901b.htm I would start by eating a really healthy diet (maximum of 25% fat a day - I try to aim for 10%) and cutting out things which are well known to be probable triggers. Then you can reintroduce them once your symptoms have settled and see if you do or do not have a problem with them. Good luck, and welcome aboard ! Hopefully you find some relief soon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For me it is more prevention with the IBS. Watching closely what you eat and knowing what triggers it. Bread is my favorite when I am sick. The starches and blandness sooth my colon. Exercize helps me, but don't over do it. When I was an athlete intervals and hard soccer games sent me in enormous pain. Remember take it day by day. And figure out what is best for your body.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.