Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have rectal hyposensitivity and it has given me fissures because I'm forcing poops out (that are soft) in fear of getting backed up. What is the ultimate out come with rectal hyposensitivity, if biofeedback doesn't work what? The only way I can get any type of urge is if it's Bristol 7. I'm getting to the point I would rather have a bag so I can have my life back.

·
Community Manager
13,175 Posts
hi

i was dx'd with colonic inertia, pelvic floor dysfunction, megarectum and rectal hyposensitivity. i had biofeedback for a very long time and while it did help a bit with pfd, it unfortunately did nothing for my RH. balloon retraining can help with RH. you might want to give that a try. my biofeedback PT worked with me on it but it didn't help me. i was a tough case.

here's an article on RH. scroll down to "treatment" to read about balloon retraining.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3479250/

i had to take both stimulant and osmotic laxatives in order to get any kind of urge and have a BM, especially with everything else i had going on.

very long story short, i finally ended up with an ileostomy.

good luck if you try the balloon retraining. it's worth a shot.

·
Community Manager
13,175 Posts
that all depends on how severe your condition is.

if you're unable to have a bm and are refractory to mediciations (constipation meds, laxatives) then ostomy surgery would be medically necessary. it's a surgery of last resort.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm taking 2 scoops of miralax 3 250 docusate sodium it had to be Bristol 6 or 7 for me to feel anything. If it's harder I can't feel it. And I have a fissure so I have to stop forcing it

·
Community Manager
13,175 Posts
yes, straining is bad. it's also counterproductive. it locks up the pelvic floor muscles and makes even it harder to get things out.

i don't know if this will help you or not but here's a good utube video on how to have a bm without straining. it's important to do what she says and "make your waist wide" and push from there--not from your rectum.

also--have you tried elevating your feet? elevating the feet on something like an overturned waste bin, step stool, large shoe box or squatty potty helps straighten out the anorectal angle to allow more complete evacuation. you might have to experiment to get the right height. i first tried a step stool, then a large shoe box and finally bought a squatty potty.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And I do as that video.does but again no urge makes it hard to get poop out reguardzless of what it is. I can go 3 days without pooping then I just force something out in fear of being backed up. And it will be a lot of stool that comes out (aka I should have had a urge but I am.not)

·
Community Manager
13,175 Posts
sounds like it might be helpful for you to take a stimulant laxative daily like senna, dulcolax or intestinal formula #1, etc--something that will give you the urge and help move things out so you don't get so backed up and have to strain like that..

·
Community Manager
13,175 Posts
right--that's why i took stimulant laxatives. they gave me the urge. i also took osmotics so my stool was soft and sometimes a little runny. fortunately i did not get an uncontrollable urge like you get with full out diarrhea--i didn't have to run to the bathroom or anything like that. it was just an urge.

have you tried any of the constipation medications out there like amitiza, linzess or trulance? they might help.

i tried and failed all the C meds that were available back then so my gastro docs told me to take laxatives daily so i could go and also so i didn't develop an impaction.

·
Community Manager
13,175 Posts
well, unfortunately there's just not much they can do, actually. there's the balloon retraining but that doesn't help everybody. and there's the constipation meds and then laxatives if those don't work. but yes, there's not much the docs can do for those of us who suffer from RH. it's a miserable way to live.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts