Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I am new here!

I have been diagnosed with a full rectal prolapse and am having surgery in a few weeks.

I've had IBS and other issues for many years - I am 32.

Just wondering if anyone else who has had this surgery can tell me how your recovery was?

I'm pretty freaked out and just wondering what to expect. They are going in through my abdomen for the surgery.

Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
HOLY ####!! I am so, so, so, sorry! The good news is, it is near the exit if you know what I mean. Advice, do whatever the GI surgeon and endocronoligist tell you. The biggest worry with any intestinal surgery is sepsis wich is your bowel poisining your body from waste. More than likely your diet will be monitored heavily and they may just have you on IV while healing. In my opinion, it is better to get the large intestine worked on as it only has to carry fecal matter and gas a few times a day max, where as your small intestine has to carry it and fight alot harder; just my opinion. And if you stick to the soft food diet they prescribe you then your large intestine will not have to work hard allowing it to heal. I am not well versed, yet, in the surgical aspect. But a prolapse is a whole and alot of time they so or staple a mesh for that. More than likely your sigmoid colon got trapped in that whole, called strangulation, and a part died. I have heard that doctors use part carterization and part sewing for resection. I would just be upfront and honest with the surgeon and ask about the success rates, what cuases failure of the surgery, what can I expect for recovery time and what are my limitations, what is your surgical record like( make sure to lead in that you are scared and looking for reasurrence or something similiar otherwise the surgeon can take offense and you don't want to piss off the guy cutting you open), What kind of medicines will I be taking and for how long, how long before full recovery on usual, how common of a intestinal surgery is this, what caused this, and what can I do to prevent this from happening again. These questions might make you at ease if you get the answer.

Just so you know, a GI or Endocronic surgeon is as highly specialized as a heart or neural surgeon. Only the top 2% of surgeons make it to those specialties. The reason why is way back when it was standard for people to die of sepsis. When the public figured out what was happening to them and started sueing doctors the schooling and education as well as the specialty field became very stringent. Now unless someone has a penetrating wound, sepsis is rarely heard of.

God bless, keep me updated, and good healing energy towards you,
Chad

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response Chad.

I did ask some of those questions already but wasn't as prepared as I should've been because I didn't realize I was going to need surgery before my consult. After his exam he just said I need to have it sooner vs later.

Now I won't see my doctor until the day of surgery. He did mention the chance of sepsis and said the recovery is slow because they go in through the abdomen. I asked about other approaches and the recurrence rate is much higher going in through other areas of the body so if you are young and healthy he likes going in through the abdomen.

My problem was caused by years of straining. My Mom had the same thing and so did my Grandma. Appears to be a wonderful gene I've inherited. LOL.

I never realized straining was that big of a deal because it's not something you really talk to friends about at parties. I didn't know that was unusual or not ok - until I had a full prolapse of course.

I will keep you posted! If anyone else can share their recovery experience I would be all ears. I am really scared of waking up after surgery and things to not work right but my surgeon seems to know his stuff so I know I am getting it done by the right surgeon.

Thanks so much!

I will follow the post-op directions to a T and hope for the best!

·
Registered
152 Posts
not a person but wanted to recommend it. Do a google search for PBS and prolapse surgery. They had a special on women in Africa suffering with fecal and urinary incontence in their country do to these prolapses caused by child birth. The women had small bodies from malnutrition so giving birth caused these.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts